Home

No formation subs at least at launch, I know a lot of people have been waiting to kno

This is a discussion on No formation subs at least at launch, I know a lot of people have been waiting to kno within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #57
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: No formation subs at least at launch, I know a lot of people have been waiting to

This game disappoints every year. Not surprised.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #58
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: No formation subs at least at launch, I know a lot of people have been waiting to

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I don't think anyone is defending EA. We're all annoyed and even a little pissed it's not in the game, but we also understand there very well may be a legit reason in why it hasn't made it in.

From a football standpoint, there's no reason why this feature shouldn't be in the game. From a video game developer standpoint, I have no idea the intricacies involved with putting that in the game and I'd rather not lean on my ignorance to try and understand and argue why it hasn't been.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I agree with this point, overall. Again, my comments were directed at the notion that the concerns voiced on the forum are part of smallish group. As I said, while smaller in numbers, way bigger in input/feedback.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #59
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

Seriously man.

I could do without all the new features they're touting this year, or any year for that matter. I've said since day 1 of M16, the only 2 things this game needs is formation subs and defensive matchups and I'd be set. Anything they'd need to add from that point on is fluff.

I genuinely thank Rex, Kane, and all the other devs that come here, read our suggestions and interact with us in the midst of being called lazy, amongst a host of other things. But just as I was honest in my tweeting Rex last year at my satisfaction w last year's product, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed that this wasn't a priority for this iteration. Ugh.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #60
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
no

It has been out of the game since xbox 360 came out.

10 years of not being able to set who my gunners are

10 years of not being able to take starters off kickoff coverage

10 years of not being able to save formation changes in between games, and having to scramble to make subs and beat the play clock in game.

How hard could it be?

It was in Madden from 01-08 (xbox/ps2)

10 yrs of no user-defined camera too
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #61
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Nope, not when formation subs is already in the game, just can't be accessed everywhere people want them, along with the other stuff I've already posted.

We are specifically discussing formation subs not being added, so the general notion of "it wasn't added so it clearly wasn't a priority" seems besides the point.
To reiterate what Millennium has already stated, permanent formation substitutions are absolutely not in the game and will take effort to add. The transient in-game formation subs you refer to are not permanent formation subs. It is an entirely different feature from a technical perspective, requires an entirely different technical infrastructure, and has its own set of design challenges to overcome.

Just putting my software development thinking hat on for a minute and thinking about it for a moment myself, here's just a few of the design and implementation challenges Tiburon could and/or will face when implementing permanent formation subs:

- permanent formation subs must be useable across all modes and save to disk / to server in a manner that is consistent across all modes. This reaches across a ton of different pieces of the game - Play Now, Online Ranked / Unranked, online and offline Franchise, Ultimate Team, Draft Champions - and also across multiple potential game save data locations - local storage and cloud alike. That's a dozen new points of potential failure and we haven't even gotten as far as using the things yet.
- permanent formation subs which save must handle the case where an assigned player is removed from the team's roster gracefully, lest the game crash when it doesn't locate a player in a specific formation substitution assignment. This may be different across each of the game's modes, and can happen for a bunch of different reasons: if a player is traded in Franchise, if a player is sold or placed into a Collection in Ultimate Team, if the Draft Champions team is rebuilt entirely, etc. These are just a few of probably several dozen more potential points of failure.
- permanent formation subs must consider in the design the case where a player's roster adds players. For example, if I've got a bunch of formation subs at WR, but then add three better WRs in a single offseason, what happens? Does the game retain my formation subs and prevent my new WRs from entering the game until I clear those assignments? Does the game automatically delete those formation subs so I can immediately have access to my new and better players in-game?

Just hand-waving and saying "formation subs already exist inside the game, they should exist everywhere!" doesn't magically dismiss the very real problems that the team will face when they go to make formation subs persistent across the entire game. This feature absolutely is not a gimme and should not be considered as such.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #62
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
Granted we still need to wait and see what CFM will bring, my point is simply referring to this myth of the CFM community being "small".
The CFM community isn't small but I'd say it is a lot smaller than it used to be simply because of online play and MUT. And on top of that it has become increasingly more fragmented when it comes to online vs. offline players. Sure there are things like this that both sides would like to see but in terms of overall scope the wants are significantly different IMO between the two sides. So instead of having one big group saying "WE ALL WANT THIS," you have one side saying these are top priorities and the other side having a completely different list of priorities and who's happy basically depends on who they decide to listen to or target with their additions/features.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #63
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Damn this one stings especially bc they couldn't figure out how to implement defensive assignments either. At this point I'm really starting to worry that any upgrades to cfm this year will be related to XP, gameprep and drive goals.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #64
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
To reiterate what Millennium has already stated, permanent formation substitutions are absolutely not in the game and will take effort to add. The transient in-game formation subs you refer to are not permanent formation subs. It is an entirely different feature from a technical perspective, requires an entirely different technical infrastructure, and has its own set of design challenges to overcome.

Just putting my software development thinking hat on for a minute and thinking about it for a moment myself, here's just a few of the design and implementation challenges Tiburon could and/or will face when implementing permanent formation subs:

- permanent formation subs must be useable across all modes and save to disk / to server in a manner that is consistent across all modes. This reaches across a ton of different pieces of the game - Play Now, Online Ranked / Unranked, online and offline Franchise, Ultimate Team, Draft Champions - and also across multiple potential game save data locations - local storage and cloud alike. That's a dozen new points of potential failure and we haven't even gotten as far as using the things yet.
- permanent formation subs which save must handle the case where an assigned player is removed from the team's roster gracefully, lest the game crash when it doesn't locate a player in a specific formation substitution assignment. This may be different across each of the game's modes, and can happen for a bunch of different reasons: if a player is traded in Franchise, if a player is sold or placed into a Collection in Ultimate Team, if the Draft Champions team is rebuilt entirely, etc. These are just a few of probably several dozen more potential points of failure.
- permanent formation subs must consider in the design the case where a player's roster adds players. For example, if I've got a bunch of formation subs at WR, but then add three better WRs in a single offseason, what happens? Does the game retain my formation subs and prevent my new WRs from entering the game until I clear those assignments? Does the game automatically delete those formation subs so I can immediately have access to my new and better players in-game?

Just hand-waving and saying "formation subs already exist inside the game, they should exist everywhere!" doesn't magically dismiss the very real problems that the team will face when they go to make formation subs persistent across the entire game. This feature absolutely is not a gimme and should not be considered as such.
Mmmm these are very valid points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »