Home

New Tackle Battle GIF

This is a discussion on New Tackle Battle GIF within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #41
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New Tackle Battle GIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Uh look again, first guy hits him and Gurley gets knocked back, a millisecond later he throws off another tackler with ease. Also that first tackle was hardly a "battle" the defender made contact then just went limp and fell off.
Look again..The tackle battle was after the first guy, who didn't initiate a battle, didn't make the tackle..

The tackle battle followed the rules of two opposing players meeting head to head (standing upright), and of similar size/ratings in the relevant areas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #42
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Additional caveat: if this was played on a lower difficulty for capture purposes (which is basically common knowledge at this point), we don't know if the ratings window is shifted to favor the user. Additionally, TBs can and will be tuned between now and release. They were drastically different in the 2 different sessions I had with the game.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #43
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Additional caveat: if this was played on a lower difficulty for capture purposes (which is basically common knowledge at this point), we don't know if the ratings window is shifted to favor the user. Additionally, TBs can and will be tuned between now and release. They were drastically different in the 2 different sessions I had with the game.
Question, do you know if fumbles occur during these are is it just to bring the ball carrier down?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #44
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
It's not 2 defenders engaged at the same time. It's two separate interactions. As far as I can tell the second interaction is the tackle battle.

Again, remember that this replaces the dice roll standup tackles of last year. You could have very easily gotten this same interaction last year, only now it's user controlled. As the user, you can choose to not interact with it if you feel like it would be an unrealistic broken tackle.

I understand that this has originally played out under the hood and they decided to add a User input element to it but imo, from how it was described, this shouldn't be one of those moments. As SolidSquid keeps stating, the whole thing does not playout organic looking and the fact that a Tackle Battle can even be initiated, is an issue.

I'm ok with #92 not bringing the runner down if he's attempting a strip but I'm not ok with the runner powering through the first tackle, then immediately shucking the strip attempt with Tackle Battle as the first tackler falls off and continuing up the field. To put it another way, even if this was still under the hood, it seems like the wrong moment/scenario for this to trigger, that's what reminds me of Protak about it.

Tackle Battle has been described as a 1v1 win/loss mechanic, which in my mind I was thinking more 1v1 with all things being normal, not one like in that gif where it kicks in and seems to ignore or override context. For example if a big back breaks out of one tackle but is stumbling/off balance, another tackler coming in shouldn't a trigger a 1v1 Tackle Battle under the hood or User controlled, even if they are equally rated, due to physics.

I think I get your point though and if so, it seems the main issue is with physics not consistently being accounted for in these type scenarios vs Tackle Battle adding a User control element to it.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #45
Banned

What was #92 doing? He should have blasted Gurley especially since we was already held up by another defender. And the break tackle animation, I don't see Gurley throwing off a 300lb linemen like that. The last two clips showed major issues, im ready to see some extended footage.
I hope they didn't mess up gang tackling, that is actually my favorite part of Madden 16.

Last edited by SportsGamer94; 05-31-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #46
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
Question, do you know if fumbles occur during these are is it just to bring the ball carrier down?
Fumbles can occur during the natural tackle that follows a battle, yes. The battle simply determines the outcome of the interaction, but the rest of the interaction plays out normally.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #47
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I understand that this has originally played out under the hood and they decided to add a User input element to it but imo, from how it was described, this shouldn't be one of those moments. As SolidSquid keeps stating, the whole thing does not playout organic looking and the fact that a Tackle Battle can even be initiated, is an issue.

I'm ok with #92 not bringing the runner down if he's attempting a strip but I'm not ok with the runner powering through the first tackle, then immediately shucking the strip attempt with Tackle Battle as the first tackler falls off and continuing up the field. To put it another way, even if this was still under the hood, it seems like the wrong moment/scenario for this to trigger, that's what reminds me of Protak about it.

Tackle Battle has been described as a 1v1 win/loss mechanic, which in my mind I was thinking more 1v1 with all things being normal, not one like in that gif where it kicks in and seems to ignore or override context. For example if a big back breaks out of one tackle but is stumbling/off balance, another tackler coming in shouldn't a trigger a 1v1 Tackle Battle under the hood or User controlled, even if they are equally rated, due to physics.

I think I get your point though and if so, it seems the main issue is with physics not consistently being accounted for in these type scenarios vs Tackle Battle adding a User control element to it.
The issue is the game entering that 1v1 standup in that situation where Gurley should be at a disadvantage. This is where the difficulty comes into play. We have no context.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd love to hear from the devs how much influence the OS community and other similar communities have on the game vs so called casual fans.

I'd bet that if they polled OS, we would've voted for redoing all of the tackle animations (maybe adding wrapping and grabbing) and accounting for physics best they could, over the tackle battle feature.

And then to not allow for turning the tackle battle icon off... there still seems to be major, intentionally arcadey elements in a game presented as a simulation.

And I'm puzzled by the choices to continually stack new features onto segments of the game that need to be overhauled.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »