Home

Let's Discuss Preplay Adjustments

This is a discussion on Let's Discuss Preplay Adjustments within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Let's Discuss Preplay Adjustments

Madden seems to be making a concerted effort towards more realism, which I applaud and even with all the good realistic elements being touted for M17, I want to draw attention to preplay adjustments. I've broached this subject before numerous times, even had a thread about for Madden last-gen and with this current drive towards realism I think it should be spotlighted yet again.

I recently went on Youtube to watch some games of M16 and still by far, imo, the most jarring arcade-y visual aspect and unrealistic strategic aspect are preplay adjustments. It was admitted by Ian Cummings on OS awhile back that the defensive preplay adjustments are unrealistic and only implemented to add balance since the offense in Madden was so OP, so I'll start there.

http://usafootball.com/news/coaches/...dibles-defense

Granted this is just one way or concept this coach prefers but it still emphasizes the point that way too much is going on with regard to defensive adjustments at the LOS in Madden. Now I want to emphasize, the main realism issue with defensive preplay adjustments imo, is that they are so broad at the LOS, not with the general control they offer gamers to manage their defense. I think realism dictates the majority of these capabilities be moved/restricted to the play call menu/sidelines, pregame and halftime. At the LOS just allow the gamer access to preset complete play audibles, line/LB shifts and group adjustments like press, off, show blitz, etc but none of this current micromanagement ability for each individual, essentially creating/drawing up an entirely new/different play at the LOS, before the ball is snapped. Again, move that stuff to the "sidelines" and off the field, where gamers can do all that micromanagement within time constraints and make halftime adjustments a real thing in Madden.

Now to the offense, pretty much the same premise, allow them to have complete play audibles, ability to keep players in to block, slide protection, etc and ONE hot route adjustment. Meaning if they come out and see A matchup or defense to exploit, they can either hot route ONE receiver to attempt to take advantage or audible the entire play to take advantage, no more of this drawing up a whole new play at the LOS. Again, leave that for the sidelines and off field, then gamers have to think ahead and adjust accordingly after the fact, not ad lib/freestyle at the LOS.

Everyone feel free to add your thoughts about preplay adjustments and if you think they are fine as is, I'll never forgive you for posting it in here.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-09-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Pro

pacman5769's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Let's Discuss Preplay Adjustments

Nice idea..but will never happen. I hate the "playmaker " feature. .it's unrealistic but isn't going anywhere any time soon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

The tourney crowd would hate this idea lol. But since I'm not a tourney guy. I only ever play Gamestop tourneys every release day to get a free Madden, which I've done 4 straight years. In other words I'd be all for anything that eliminates cheese.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 06-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't really agree. Defensive wise, I don't see a problem with defensive adjustments, it's unrealistic to shade a receiver? Or change a zone route? I might misinterpret what you were saying.

Offensive wise, most leagues I played in limited hot routes and never became an issue, I think if you're playing CPU, it's your game, you should be able to call what you want.

I wouldn't mind seeing an innovated play adjustment, don't get me wrong, but I don't see too much of an issue form my viewpoint (which is mainly online franchise)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
I don't really agree. Defensive wise, I don't see a problem with defensive adjustments, it's unrealistic to shade a receiver? Or change a zone route? I might misinterpret what you were saying.

Offensive wise, most leagues I played in limited hot routes and never became an issue, I think if you're playing CPU, it's your game, you should be able to call what you want.

I wouldn't mind seeing an innovated play adjustment, don't get me wrong, but I don't see too much of an issue form my viewpoint (which is mainly online franchise)
The unrealistic aspect isn't what's being done, it's where, imo. My POV on this is, once on the field, the gamer should be capable of micromanaging ONE player only and that's the one they choose to User control. All the other other players should require the gamer to adjust or coach up, off the field. Imo it's completely realistic to have a defense make wholesale or group adjustments but that player by player stuff isn't. A coach, coordinator or even defensive Captain, can only do so much at the LOS with regard to other players assignments, most of that has to be handled on the sideline before and after plays, not at the LOS like in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
John Grennan ‏@jt_taurus23 Jun 7
@ClintOldenburg if the playbooks are accurate and the zones and gap play are effective why is there still a need for unlimited hot routes?
Quote:
Clint Oldenburg
‏@ClintOldenburg
@jt_taurus23 a lot of our users love them. Tough to take that away. Big part of competitive Madden.

Although I agree with the OP, this little exchange from a couple of days ago makes it pretty clear that this is a nod to Tourney type players that they are not going to get rid of, even if it isn't realistic.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Somewhat related:

Did the devs ever discuss what the AI does with regard to preplay stuff? Like what they'll do and what they don't?

I always wondered if I was getting an unfair advantage over it by using some of that stuff.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Disclaimer: I'm not a competitive online player, and play 99% of my games against the CPU unless I can get my friends' CFM back together in 17)

I don't really care too much currenly about adjustments at the line. Feels like an 'is what it is' proposition with so many things around it that could be improved. But I think more attention could be brough to substitutions. The offense brings out personnel to go 5-wide you should be alerted and send nickel personnel out. Same with high profile players being out of the lineup for any reason (injury or fatigue)... bring some attention to that and provide the ability to quickly try and take advantage.

If this is delegated to coaches, mistakes could even be made leading to too many men in the huddle or the wrong package of players being on the field trying to sub out at the last minute.

All of the above could also help the 'can run a play every 4-6 seconds' (or whatever the interval is) issue Madden has sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »