Home

Madden NFL 17 EA Play Conference Reactions (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 EA Play Conference Reactions (Roundtable) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #25
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 17 EA Play Conference Reactions (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Madden marketing seems to sometimes make simple things, into something very divisive, with their labeling. Take the "moments", it's pretty much an improvement to Supersim and likely if that's how it was presented, "we improved Supersim" with all the same upgrades just no snazzy title and "feature" label, hardcore Franchisers wouldn't resent it as much .

I think what it allows is actually good for those that will utilize it, which is plenty of people outside of just those that want to get through a franchise fast. For example I've read for years about gamers that want a streamlined way to "kneel the clock out" once a game is decided, this could provide that, along with who knows what other uses.

The issue seems to be in taking a niche option like Supersim, improving it and trying to market it to the masses as a major feature in what should be a hardcore NFL mode. Would be similar if they expanded the penalty system and added bobbled snaps, then labeled that as a new feature in Draft Champions with some snazzy name, some of those gamers would likely react the same way. It is what it is though.
Yeah, I have no idea how much development time went into the implementation of the is feature, but the marketing of it as a big ticket Franchise item does create some resentment from me toward it. Selfishly I think about what kinds what other things that I wanted could have been added in its place. But as you say, if it had been presented as an, "oh by the way" ancillary addition to the mode, I would probably be thinking, "oh cool, nice little thing they added there".

But then of course Franchise would be perceived as having not have as many new major changes. So it's a Catch-22.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #26
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Caley Roark: The improvements to franchise look like a step in the right direction; actually, they remind me a bit of elements from NFL Head Coach. It's too bad it's taken them this long to realize that there was a lot of potential in the way that series handled running a franchise.

As much as the "Play the Moment" is being hyped, unless there are some new presentation elements, I'm not seeing how this is tremendously different than being able to sim and stop whenever you want, which has been a feature for years.
The bold is where I think a lot of my frustration and disappointment comes from. But most of that is definitely my fault for putting too much stock in the "overhaul" hype and the fact that what was added or changed largely doesn't change or improve my CFM experience. But even with that, with "Play The Moment" as well as "Big Decisions" I'm also struggling to see something tremendously different with either that wasn't already possible in M16.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #27
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

For me the play the moments sounds really cool and may allow me to dive into franchise unlike I ever have before. With the show I play with quick counts and I use all teams and play the match ups in certain days that I want. The shortened game makes it easy to get a couple in getting to use different teams.

With Madden I am planning on trying this feature out while controlling all teams and playing as many of the games per week as I feel while getting a good In game experience as well as not taking so much time. Will allow me to experience all the different teams In a red zone like format. I am pretty excited about it.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
The bold is where I think a lot of my frustration and disappointment comes from. But most of that is definitely my fault for putting too much stock in the "overhaul" hype and the fact that what was added or changed largely doesn't change or improve my CFM experience. But even with that, with "Play The Moment" as well as "Big Decisions" I'm also struggling to see something tremendously different with either that wasn't already possible in M16.
Bingo. I was cautiously optimistic. Good thing I did not buy too much into the hype.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #29
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I only used SS during ST plays, but if memory serves me correctly, you press the a button, sim, press the a button sim, or sim a quarter or half. I think that is the way it worked.

I think with the Play the moment feature, you can sim as much or as little as you want, ie, offense, defense, etc..... And maybe you could do that before, but I would think if you wanted to sim offense or defense, you had to do a lot of button pressing.

Plus, from my memory on from the blog, I think they stated you could receive accurate # of plays per game where I don't feel the sim stat engine from years gone by was that accurate. This is whether you sim 3 minute quarters or 12 minute quarters.

Plus, they are touting the sim speed is faster than ever. I've never played more than a season in Franchise mode and this will allow me the opportunity to play more than a season in franchise mode in less amount of time.

This can be seen as a big plus with people with busy schedules with kids, wife, work, etc.....

Each person mileages may vary. I envision some or most people won't use this feature, but I know I will and I am pleased they added it.

Last edited by roadman; 06-13-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 AM   #30
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I only used SS during ST plays, but if memory serves me correctly, you press the a button, sim, press the a button sim, or sim a quarter or half. I think that is the way it worked.

I think with the Play the moment feature, you can sim as much or as little as you want, ie, offense, defense, etc..... And maybe you could do that before, but I would think if you wanted to sim offense or defense, you had to do a lot of button pressing.

Plus, from my memory on from the blog, I think they stated you could receive accurate # of plays per game where I don't feel the sim stat engine from years gone by was that accurate. This is whether you sim 3 minute quarters or 12 minute quarters.

Plus, they are touting the sim speed is faster than ever. I've never played more than a season in Franchise mode and this will allow me the opportunity to play more than a season in franchise mode in less amount of time.

This can be seen as a big plus with people with busy schedules with kids, wife, work, etc.....

Each person mileages may vary. I envision some or most people won't use this feature, but I know I will and I am pleased they added it.
I just popped in 16 to check it out and there are options to go to the next play, possession, quarter and to the end of the game all with a single button press and it seemed very quick. It probably isn't anywhere near as convenient as it will be in M17 and achieving something like playing certain moments would definitely require a bit more finessing but is more or less still very much there and doable.

I'm not trying to denounce or belittle the adjustments they made because virtually every one of them is something that changes SuperSim in a positive way. I, like you, used to use it for FG's and always wished there was a coach mode along with it so I could at least see the FG, now they have that so that's a cool option to have. They've taken away the trouble of having to go through testing with SuperSim to figure out the balance of quarter length and total plays, also good. I'm well aware of the changes made and how they will benefit the people that want to play that way and I'm truly happy for them. There's just so many more areas that I felt could have been improved or created that could have had a positive impact for both ends of the spectrum while leaving this methodology of playing still very much intact.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
There's just so many more areas that I felt could have been improved or created that could have had a positive impact for both ends of the spectrum while leaving this methodology of playing still very much intact.
I agree with this on a personal level, but I keep going back to Clint and Rex on the priorities, timing and resources mantra.

I am sure one of those three probably fits into the equation, even though it's not what we want to hear.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #32
Rookie

Big_Blue's Arena

OVR: 0
Can we get some gameplay tho? Haha

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »