Home

Will Defense be OP?

This is a discussion on Will Defense be OP? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #33
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Will Defense be OP?

I don't wanna say OP bc I think that's means they'll nerf it, I just hope the defense is smarter and plays more fundamentally. That alone will make the defenses harder.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Rookie

I don't think defenses will be OP. Nothing's been added to grant defenders superhuman abilities, like the ability to jump and swat down passes at maximum height while running full speed, like Madden 2005
Old 06-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #35
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

One other thing, it use to be an honor that you could brag about if you had a rock solid D in Madden. Now, when your D plays lights out, people will assume it's more Madden than the user. Like holding your opponents to 15 PPG will no longer feel like an accomplishment. Who knows, maybe I'll catch on quick, and figure it out by trial and error in the lab.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #36
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Will Defense be OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I don't think the score tells much about the effectiveness of defense on its own. How were the points scored? How many punts were there?

If CM lost the turnover battle yet still produced that many points that tells me that an unrealistic number of drives still ends in either points scored or a turnover.

One of the two games I had four turnovers and didn't punt. Three of those turnovers were _stupid_ interceptions which were 100% user error and 0% super-powered CPU, as I wasn't used to the zone coverage changes. One was a strip sack. It was sloppy on my part. Was also the first game I played and the turnovers were all early in the game; when I first got on the sticks I was bad lol.

The second game did feature a fumble by my QB which was returned for a score but other than that was far more balanced. One INT by each team as well. This game had punts by both teams.

Also worth noting that I wasn't playing against the best teams in the game; among the teams I squared off against at EA PLAY were the Eagles, Vikings, Chargers, Browns, and Dolphins (who beat me on default All Pro, I was playing as the Jaguars). Better teams will surely make you pay for turnovers more effectively.

A safer and more experienced player will probably be committing fewer turnovers and punting more. As I said in another thread, though, you may still need to bump up some CPU sliders a bit once you get used to the zone coverage changes, though. For the first few games you play, however, leave it at All Pro default so you can get used to reading the new coverages.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
One of the two games I had four turnovers and didn't punt. Three of those turnovers were _stupid_ interceptions which were 100% user error and 0% super-powered CPU, as I wasn't used to the zone coverage changes. One was a strip sack. It was sloppy on my part. Was also the first game I played and the turnovers were all early in the game; when I first got on the sticks I was bad lol.

The second game did feature a fumble by my QB which was returned for a score but other than that was far more balanced. One INT by each team as well. This game had punts by both teams.

Also worth noting that I wasn't playing against the best teams in the game; among the teams I squared off against at EA PLAY were the Eagles, Vikings, Chargers, Browns, and Dolphins (who beat me on default All Pro, I was playing as the Jaguars). Better teams will surely make you pay for turnovers more effectively.

A safer and more experienced player will probably be committing fewer turnovers and punting more. As I said in another thread, though, you may still need to bump up some CPU sliders a bit once you get used to the zone coverage changes, though. For the first few games you play, however, leave it at All Pro default so you can get used to reading the new coverages.
Thanks for that. It is hard to take too much from your games because as you alluded to, there is an adjustment period, but also playing a game at these types of events is unlike playing on your couch at home.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #38
Rookie

A stronger defense should be a welcome change for Madden. Hopefully the new coverage mechanics will help eliminate some of the "money" plays that plague games when both the CPU and player need a first down. I shouldn't have to always user the MLB on 3rd and long to prevent the TE from making the catch on 4-verts.

What I'm hoping is that the defense changes will force players to dig a little deeper into their playbooks to beat a defense, and hopefully put more emphasis on proper play calling to win the battle. Perhaps it will add another level to the game rather than pure "stick skills."
Old 06-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #39
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

I don't know how there could be such a dramatic change in madden. Offense has dominated madden for almost every cycle! If much rather it be tougher to score than vice versa. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's just my preference. If most of my franchise games were 10-7 or 21-14 I would be elated!

I don't think it will be OP like under 100 yards per game or something ignorant.

What people need to understand is these yards and points are being put up in 15 minute quarters IRL. If you cut that by 60% for 5 minute quarters you should have low scoring games.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Defense has been boring and lifeless for years imo..I welcome it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »