Home

5 minutes of Madden 17 gameplay in this thread...

This is a discussion on 5 minutes of Madden 17 gameplay in this thread... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #41
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 5 minutes of Madden 17 gameplay in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
To me, the problem is the lack of substance in previous maddens since forever ago. Saying upgrades to zone concepts and pattern matching is groundbreaking, just shows how bad it's been.

Animations, OL/DL interaction, & true step are the MASSIVE improvements I'm waiting for next. If players move more true to life, slowing down etc., that would change the game in itself. Forming a pocket and rewriting animations to fit with the adjusted speed of the players, would put Madden back in the top 3 running in terms of sports game gameplay.

Building on a core with the new concepts plus these would change my football gaming life.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Erm...there has been a fully formed pocket since at least Madden 15, maybe since Madden 25, and Madden 16 gave players real incentive to step up in it rather than sprint to the sideline with the imprived contain mechanics. Where have you been man? Have you not played any Madden during the last few years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
On top of this, specifically for people who don't want to get torn up by passes to the flat and/or drags across the entire field at all costs: there's a new play in the play books this year - I think it's called Cover 2 Hard Flat - which forces the boundary corners to prioritize the flats over carrying the #1 receiver down the field. You will get torn to shreds if your opponent calls a vertical passing play while you are in this coverage, but you will stop those drags and flats.

Yep. Just watching a nickel Cover 3 Match coverage against 11 personnel Four Verticals this year is a thing of beauty this year because the SAM actually recognizes that he needs to carry the tight end up the field to the strong safety, who takes over from there. Ditto for the nickel back working with the free safety against the slot receiver. Whereas in past years that tight end or slot receiver almost always gets open quickly at about 10 yards because the nickel back or SAM don't get vertical. It's fantastic to watch.

I like what I'm hearing here^
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #43
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
To me, the problem is the lack of substance in previous maddens since forever ago. Saying upgrades to zone concepts and pattern matching is groundbreaking, just shows how bad it's been.

Animations, OL/DL interaction, & true step are the MASSIVE improvements I'm waiting for next. If players move more true to life, slowing down etc., that would change the game in itself. Forming a pocket and rewriting animations to fit with the adjusted speed of the players, would put Madden back in the top 3 running in terms of sports game gameplay.

Building on a core with the new concepts plus these would change my football gaming life.

Erm...there has been a fully formed pocket since at least Madden 15, maybe since Madden 25, and Madden 16 gave players real incentive to step up in it rather than sprint to the sideline with the imprived contain mechanics. Where have you been man? Have you not played any Madden during the last few years?

The concern is not that there is a pocket, but how the pocket is formed. That is key. It unfortunately still doesn't form in an organic manner. It may look like a pocket, but it's not truly created by the struggles between the OL and DL. No of course, there is a struggle between the OL/DL, but how the struggles are programmed is not expressed in an organic manner. That's the concern. Don't get me wrong, there are rare times when you do see gems of the defensive ends and tackles taking the proper angles, but it's not consistent; almost infrequent so to speak.

GIF#1: Madden 16 footage
Keep an eye on both offensive tackles and the defensive ends. This is a pretty extreme example but a good example to showcase the concern that still lies with how Madden translate DL/OL interactions and why an organic pocket formation isn't quite up to par just yet. Also take note of the position of the QB with respect to the OL tackle/DL defensive end. Both defensive ends are not taking the proper angle to get to the QB.

Note: This is not my video, it's a gif create from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6AhamieQM

GIF#2: Madden 17
The other concern falls heavily on the shoulders of the OL. Often times, once the DL beats the OL, the OL essentially says "he's not my problem anymore," and won't even try turning back to pursue the DL. Instead the OL will continue to monitor what's upfield. Yes, there are situations where the OL will continue to pursue the DL, but it's seldom and not consistent.

GIF#3: Madden 16 footage

Keep an eye on the center and the right guard. Notice how the center motion shifts and speeds up to the left to pick up the block. Notice the right guard also motion shifts to pick up the block. That's not letting the pocket form organically. There's an "artificial" effect that's going on. In other words, it's not that there's no pocket, the concern is how the pocket is formed.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 06-19-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 5

this old.video came out last week and its already in someone else thread.smdh
Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #45
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
The concern is not that there is a pocket, but how the pocket is formed. That is key. It unfortunately still doesn't form in an organic manner. It may look like a pocket, but it's not truly created by the struggles between the OL and DL. No of course, there is a struggle between the OL/DL, but how the struggles are programmed is not expressed in an organic manner. That's the concern. Don't get me wrong, there are rare times when you do see gems of the defensive ends and tackles taking the proper angles, but it's not consistent; almost infrequent so to speak.

Keep an eye on both offensive tackles and the defensive ends. This is a pretty extreme example but a good example to showcase the concern that still lies with how Madden translate DL/OL interactions and why an organic pocket formation isn't quite up to par just yet. Also take note of the position of the QB with respect to the OL tackle/DL defensive end. Both defensive ends are not taking the proper angle to get to the QB.

The other concern falls heavily on the shoulders of the OL. Often times, once the DL beats the OL, the OL essentially says "he's not my problem anymore," and won't even try turning back to pursue the DL. Instead the OL will continue to monitor what's upfield. Yes, there are situations where the OL will continue to pursue the DL, but it's seldom and not consistent.

Keep an eye on the center and the right guard. Notice how the center motion shifts and speeds up to the left to pick up the block. Notice the right guard also motion shifts to pick up the block. That's not letting the pocket form organically. There's an "artificial" effect that's going on. In other words, it's not that there's no pocket, the concern is how the pocket is formed.

Oh I see what you're saying and I agree. Still, it takes time to get this stuff right. I was happy with the DB/WR interactions last year. They weren't perfect but they looked way better than in the past. This year's game claims to have legit gap defense and more realistic zone schemes. Neither will be perfect, but both will be welcomed.

Perhaps next year they'll improve the line AI, but even with this "artificial" pocket it still serves in the sense that it's close enough to where you won't often notice it while playing in the heat of the moment (this is exactly why people have to dissect videos to point these issues out. Despite the constant criticism, these things are getting harder to spot as the years go by).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #46
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Well maybe it's because I played the qb position irl, but a REAL pocket doesn't form/breakdown like the one in Madden.

I'll use shapes to explain. Pocket, to me, means half circle or U-shaped and OL don't have the programming to form that in ANY MADDEN. Now what is in Madden is a patchwork pocket so it is what it is. Just don't sell me on a poor man's pocket, because once a real one is put in the game I know you'll probably forget this thread all together.

Don't want to come off as rude, I just feel like your playing with my intelligence.

EDIT: Ts and Gs backing up in a straight like isn't forming a pocket. Its just forcing you to not drop back constantly because you know they'll shed once you go left or right or back up to far. Fix lineman steps and animations then holla at me about a pocket. I guess if the majority accept it that's why non NFL licensed games can do it and Madden won't and again, it is what it is.

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON

Last edited by GoJags904; 06-19-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #47
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake

At least you understand what I meant. I guess No pocket was too much. Organic sounds better to the edgy loyalist around here I see. Live and learn.

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 06-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz2k2
this old.video came out last week and its already in someone else thread.smdh
Oh you mean in that thread that got locked and can't be bumped to the first page. Smdh

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »