Home

6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

This is a discussion on 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think he is referring to the future.

That Madden Champions game frustrated him. He said in the other interview that is goal is to eliminate seeing the same play exploited in these types of games. He was giving a one to two year timeframe.
It's been next year for 10+ years now, 3(?) of which have been on his watch. Folks praise him for his honesty and acknowledgement, but where are the results? Patching sim elements on top of what's obviously problem code is not leading to his goal.

My hope is that they've been building a game behind the scenes that will address this issues and will be released as soon as next year. My fear is that they're relying on the community for feedback and the majority of us are complaining about symptoms, not the illnesses.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It's been next year for 10+ years now, 3(?) of which have been on his watch. Folks praise him for his honesty and acknowledgement, but where are the results? Patching sim elements on top of what's obviously problem code is not leading to his goal.

My hope is that they've been building a game behind the scenes that will address this issues and will be released as soon as next year. My fear is that they're relying on the community for feedback and the majority of us are complaining about symptoms, not the illnesses.
I totally agree about the legacy coding part.

Three years ago in a interview, he was asked about putting DPI in the game. His answer was, if not in the next Madden, will be in the following one. The same interview he was asked about DB/WR interractions and he gave the same answer.

Last year, once Madden came out, he was asked to identify two weak areas of Madden to be implemented. He said CFM and commentary were the two weak areas needed improving.

He's probably trying to do the best he can do with what he has to work with and maybe that isn't good enough for some people.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5
6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

Virtual Reality and Madden? That would be interesting haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would think VR would require a more powerful console than the current generation. That would be really and probably dangerous as i run into the wall

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

I disagree with that. I think we are getting closer to a sim game. We are getting their faster than the game did under Ian or David Ortiz. Its just not as fast as some people here want it to be and thats understandable.

Lets be real. They arent going to tear down Madden and recreate it from scratch. I know people at OS tend to look at things solely from a consumer perspective but from a business perspective that would make zero sense.

To do that, EA would likely have to increase Madden's budget, hire more developers and QC testers (to ensure that their are no significant bugs with the new code).

Now if I was a EA stockholder and I heard at a quarterly meeting that EA's sports division was significantly increasing its budget to remove and rebuild all of the problematic legacy code, I would question that and ask why. If the answer was "A 1/4 (if that) of the buying public doesnt feel that the game simulates football realistically enough"....I would be furious. Especially when Madden 16's sales significantly increased from 15 using the approach that Rex's team is taking.

We should never forget that EA is a corporation. A corporation's #1 responsibility is to generate revenue and keep costs low so that its shareholders can see a profit. The best way for EA to do that is to keep doing what they are doing. I'm just happy that Rex in his team are committed to including some sim elements and move the game closer to a sim.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
I would think VR would require a more powerful console than the current generation. That would be really and probably dangerous as i run into the wall

Both MS and Sony's next console (coming out in 2017) will have VR capabilities.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I totally agree about the legacy coding part.

Three years ago in a interview, he was asked about putting DPI in the game. His answer was, if not in the next Madden, will be in the following one. The same interview he was asked about DB/WR interractions and he gave the same answer.

Last year, once Madden came out, he was asked to identify two weak areas of Madden to be implemented. He said CFM and commentary were the two weak areas needed improving.

He's probably trying to do the best he can do with what he has to work with and maybe that isn't good enough for some people.
Agreed, hence my fear.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Both MS and Sony's next console (coming out in 2017) will have VR capabilities.
Oh really. I totally missed that. I had seen that Sony was coming out with some better specs but not considered a full upgrade. I did not realize that MS is as well. Was this cycle a lot shorter than past cycles? Feels like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »