Home

6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

This is a discussion on 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

.................................................. .........................
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

Quote:
But for me specifically as a gameplay creative director which is where I primarily focus, seeing your sport exposed like that and when people are playing your game for a lot of money they will use every grieve, every exploit, every trick, every cheat they can get their hands on and when that happens the quality of your game starts to devolve. Now for someone like me, who has to build an authentic representation of what you see on Sunday's, when that televised cast doesn't look like football anymore and it looks like what we call "madden ball," that's a bad look for us, that's a bad look for me, that's a bad look for our franchise. So it's a whole new level of pressure on me and my team to deliver a game that can't be cheated, can't be exploited and looks like football when it's played at it's highest level.
Loved this quote from him. It's good to see that he fully understands how ridiculous and bad of a representation the "Madden Championship" was and I really hope M17 and moving forward does the best they can to completely extinguish as much of that type of play as possible. As long as he's there I don't have many worries about where the direction of gameplay is headed.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #3
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 6/19/16 Madden NFL 17 Rex Dickson INTERVIEW & DETAILS - The Know (12 min 52 sec)

Posting some general notes. If your time is short, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this interview. Nothing here that's really probative of the game itself.

(1) - Rex brought up the e-play "madden ball" that all of the sim guys despise and did so on his own. It's very obvious to me that he wants these ultra-competitive tournaments to more closely mirror what is on the field in actual life as opposed to gimmicks and exploits we've seen crafted in highly competitive circles of late.

(2) - Rex is a passionate advocate for VR. Says within the next 2-4 years Madden may incorporate some aspects or elements of the experience.

(3) - Legal battles surrounding NCAA prohibit them from forming a timetable for return. O'Bannon could go to the Supreme Court. He does PROMISE NCAA is of the highest priority for them. AS SOON as a window of return is possible then they will do it.

---

This is good news. Many have been skeptical NCAA wasn't marketable anymore and they actually cut the game based on not having a desire to make it anymore. Rex frames the issue as a purely legal one.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited by NateDogPack12; 06-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Loved this quote from him. It's good to see that he fully understands how ridiculous and bad of a representation the "Madden Championship" was and I really hope M17 and moving forward does the best they can to completely extinguish as much of that type of play as possible. As long as he's there I don't have many worries about where the direction of gameplay is headed.
Yeah, that wasn't the only interview Rex has stated that.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

Anyone else was extra-skeptical when the two dudes where like "yeah, we played NCAA all the time"? Hehe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yeah, that wasn't the only interview Rex has stated that.
That's good. I haven't really been paying attention to anything that's come out since the CFM info dropped and this was the first EA Play-ish video I've really watched since then.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
But for me specifically as a gameplay creative director which is where I primarily focus, seeing your sport exposed like that and when people are playing your game for a lot of money they will use every grieve, every exploit, every trick, every cheat they can get their hands on and when that happens the quality of your game starts to devolve. Now for someone like me, who has to build an authentic representation of what you see on Sunday's, when that televised cast doesn't look like football anymore and it looks like what we call "madden ball," that's a bad look for us, that's a bad look for me, that's a bad look for our franchise. So it's a whole new level of pressure on me and my team to deliver a game that can't be cheated, can't be exploited and looks like football when it's played at it's highest level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
IMO, the segmented, band-aid way in which they improve the game contradicts his quote, unless they've been waiting for Frostbite and rebuilding the game behind the scenes. As per usual, I'll see next year, hopefully.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
IMO, the segmented, band-aid way in which they improve the game contradicts his quote, unless they've been waiting for Frostbite and rebuilding the game behind the scenes. As per usual, I'll see next year, hopefully.
I think he is referring to the future.

That Madden Champions game frustrated and embarrassed him. He said in the other interview that is goal is to eliminate seeing the same play exploited in these types of games. He was giving a one to two year timeframe.

Just to give people an idea about timelines.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »