Home

Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season

Madden NFL 17
is coming out of EA Play in a fairly strong position with tons of gameplay videos being shown off as of early this week (check out the OS homepage for all of them). Let’s go through some of the things that are looking good, and a few things which we’re still a little concerned about after the jump.

Read More - Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
I am impressed that there was "The Bad" section in the article, that is promising in itself.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
I like what has been shown so far Madden-wise. Apart from gameplay, what I would really like to see to make the over package complete, are pre-, halftime and postgame shows a la NBA2K, real game intro's similar to what we see in NBA2K, player specific talk and stat overlays like NBA2K and when going to a timeout, more like what you see in NBA2K (players talking and drinking, the coach giving feedback). Oh and some player interviews like what we see in NBA2K would be amazing as well. Mmm a lot needs to be taken from NBA2K imho
Old 06-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season

The Good: Zones, Ball Physics, new equipment
The Wait and See: Commentary, Special Teams
The Bad: CFM
The Ugly: Pass blocking
Old 06-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

I'm very skeptical of this year's game. I say that because I don't think I've truly enjoyed a Madden game since 06.
The "big decisions" feature seems to me like a gimmick. I'd prefer Madden '04 where you could follow positions battles for every team, and would see who was named the starter before the season starts. This feels to me like UFC2 where you get a pop up that says "your guy got hurt" then you have option A and option B... not a whole lot to it.
As for the presentation, I don't get how almost every game out there is completely clueless with this. STOP trying to make some amazing EA sports network presentation. Just use CBS, FOX, and ESPN. Get the rights and seal the entire broadcast, you don't see them trying to make their own EA branded uniforms for teams, so why do that with the presentation? We get that EA makes the game, they make the ONLY football game out, I don't need their logo on every sign in the stadium, and on the broadcast ticker. On the last version of college basketball that EA made they used both CBS and ESPN presentations based on the game, even had different announcers in each broadcast. The game wasn't amazing, but the feel of the two different networks was great.
I could go on... New high res coaches, but no assistant coaches and no realistic coaching carousel. So, play a franchise and half the coaches will just switch to another team by year 3 and the rest will be generic made up coaches that look awful... I have purchased Madden every year since 99, I think this may be the first one that I sit out. I blame 2K for making such dramatic improvements to NBA2K every year while madden adds 2 features from 5 years ago and touts them as new and improved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
I don't if it's enough to get excited for but it's enough for me to upgrade. Not sure if that will be day one.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season

Ehh, the bad section is a little lean. Tackling still looks bad and blocking interaction is terrible. Despite the addition of run fits, it appears they still haven't separated the offensive & defensive assignments. Defenders still look to engage prior to anything else. No working stunts. No separate coverage and blitz/stunt tiers. Running animations, especially changes in direction are still poor. They ignored some basic aspects of special teams despite the additions (gunner interaction, still pass blocking on FGs).

But this is the best Madden has looked, considering year to year expectations, in a long, long time. I'm not as enthused as many others about this year's release, but for the 1st time in many years, I'm looking forward to future releases. I'm hopeful that Frostbite is the answer to a lot of the legacy issues.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
I'm very skeptical of this year's game. I say that because I don't think I've truly enjoyed a Madden game since 06.
The "big decisions" feature seems to me like a gimmick. I'd prefer Madden '04 where you could follow positions battles for every team, and would see who was named the starter before the season starts. This feels to me like UFC2 where you get a pop up that says "your guy got hurt" then you have option A and option B... not a whole lot to it.
As for the presentation, I don't get how almost every game out there is completely clueless with this. STOP trying to make some amazing EA sports network presentation. Just use CBS, FOX, and ESPN. Get the rights and seal the entire broadcast, you don't see them trying to make their own EA branded uniforms for teams, so why do that with the presentation? We get that EA makes the game, they make the ONLY football game out, I don't need their logo on every sign in the stadium, and on the broadcast ticker. On the last version of college basketball that EA made they used both CBS and ESPN presentations based on the game, even had different announcers in each broadcast. The game wasn't amazing, but the feel of the two different networks was great.
I could go on... New high res coaches, but no assistant coaches and no realistic coaching carousel. So, play a franchise and half the coaches will just switch to another team by year 3 and the rest will be generic made up coaches that look awful... I have purchased Madden every year since 99, I think this may be the first one that I sit out. I blame 2K for making such dramatic improvements to NBA2K every year while madden adds 2 features from 5 years ago and touts them as new and improved.
WORD.
But at least with NBA 2K, the presentation looks like true broadcast television. EA's entire take on presentation is completely fictional and overall arcade-y.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »