Home

Rex Dickson will be on Sim Standard Radio in 5 minutes

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson will be on Sim Standard Radio in 5 minutes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #25
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Rex Dickson will be on Sim Standard Radio in 5 minutes

It doesn't seem like that's the case currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #26
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I just want to focus on the bold because I feel everything else potentially conflates the issue about OL injuries during game play.

I generally agree with your assessment in the bold and that's why I'm simply wondering if the INJ rating dice roll can be a variable added into blocking interactions too. Presumably blocking interactions already have a dice roll to determine those outcomes but INJ just isn't a variable in it during game play. Maybe asking specifically about that makes the issue more concise and possibly can be more easily dealt with vs trying to have a whole injury system for all 22 players.

Cliff notes: Presumably tackling interactions and blocking interactions both share dice rolls in their outcomes, currently tackling interactions are the only ones that include INJ in some way. Is it possible to have blocking dice rolls include INJ in game play in some way that doesnt require an overhaul?

From an outsider, layman, wishful thinking perspective, I'm thinking, "This shouldn't be that hard of an adjustment". Unfortunately, in reality it's probably pretty complex.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #27
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
It doesn't seem like that's the case currently.

Huh? I was presenting that as a question or a way to ask the devs about possibly addressing this at some point before M18. The point I was making earlier is that, imo, they may not even be considering any simple fix or patch because they think we are referring to a system overhaul.

I'm wondering if someone can relay to them that we are essentially talking about blocking interaction injuries, not non contact or whatever else, then maybe that changes if they can address it this year. It doesn't seem to me anytime they have been asked about this issue, they completely understand what's being asked about and referred to.

Sure they clearly get we want OL injuries but that keeps getting conflated with non contact injuries, then we are told "no we can't do that because that would require a system overhaul". Yes non contact injuries would require a complete overhaul because currently there is no system at all in place for those but there is a current dice roll system in place for tackling and blocking. However INJ isn't used in blocking, like it is in tackling, so presumably adding injury chance to an existing system is more feasible than creating an entire system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
From an outsider, layman, wishful thinking perspective, I'm thinking, "This shouldn't be that hard of an adjustment". Unfortunately, in reality it's probably pretty complex.
I don't disagree, I'm only saying let's ask and find out. It doesn't seem to me anyone has made this point clearly to them, considering how it's constantly lumped in with non contact injuries and we all know how easily things can get misunderstood.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-26-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #28
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

It's not misunderstood. It's not getting in this year.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Some of that stuff can be turned off in online/tournament play but yeah balance on something that is literally a weighted dice roll on every single play is incredibly delicate.

Also, I wonder about processing power. You're basically doing 22 dice rolls for every single step for every single player all at the same time. I have no idea how that would affect game performance.

Ok, so I was really bored yesterday and have too much time on my hands. So, I started looking up NFL injury stats (to the best of my ability without going completely overboard). The basics I got out of the 'research' was that an avg of 6 injuries happen per game. Of those, i found a wiki page about NFL health that reported the following % of injury types (I adjusted slightly, so u may see differently online, just a few % pts per injury type). 1. Strains/sprains/bruises 68% 2. Dislocation 15% 3. Fractures 10%. 4. Concussion 5% 5. Acl tear 2%. So, I created a Java program that takes these % into account. I ran through a simulation of 120 plays per game (this is somewhere near NFL avg, I believe). For this basic program, I am not talking about a dice roll for every step, I am simply creating a dice roll for every player on every play, and looking for 6 injuries per game. Now, please, I don't want to get into specifics of exactly what the algorithm should be set up as, or the specific #'s/probabilities involved (I had to tweak my original idea of the probability which I may have gotten incorrect - I was always good in math/calculus, but probability always threw me off a little. But, ultimately, after tweaking things, I was coming up with 'games' of anywhere between 0-8 injuries based only off this program. After simulating somewhere around 16-20 games, I, legit, only saw 1 torn acl, so I was happy about that, lol. But, anyways, while it would be great to have offball injuries happen due to the graphics and momentum/physics for every step, this simple program could easily be applied for every play of a game, and could create random offball injuries, so for me, it's an option that they could shoot for. And, ultimately, as I said earlier, regardless of the exact algorithm, that can always be tweaked during game dev testing to hit the appropriate #'s. And, I added the ability to account for 'current stamina' and 'injury rating', but honestly, I wasn't sure where/how to add to affect the dice roll per player. But, ultimately, that could be added.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #30
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming the staff is on par with the rest of the sports gaming world...I believe either the foundation these Madden games are built/programmed/coded off of must be terrible or they are severely short staffed. This Madden is a buy for me, I like the direction and steps they are taking, but there are still so many things that I don't understand that have been ignored for about a decade that we still aren't getting for some reason.
I think it's a bit of both Clint Oldenburg said he worked on run fits and gaps, ball carrier special moves and visual feedback, new player equipment, and the kick meter. With all the work that the line play needs why is so much on this mans plate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »