Home

Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

This is a discussion on Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #73
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Most likely, more people just don't like Jim Brown; had it been Walter Payton's family, many more may have sided with the settlement, IMO.

Also, Jim Brown's likeness? How many people who play Madden really even know who he was, or care? What constituted his likeness? Being a RB on the Browns with the #32?

Then taking into account J. Brown got $600k, and he wasn't even on the cover or a promoted player that I am aware of.
Thats not the point.

Nobody knows who me or you are either. But if I played in the NFL (even if I was a barely famous lineman) and they used my likeness without permission....I'm suing.

Its called a likeness RIGHT. I have the right to approve anyone using my likeness and I have a right to be compensated for using my likeness.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #74
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
What is there not to like about Jim Brown?

If you're playing with the Browns of that era, you likely know who Jim Brown is. And a 60s Browns RB wearing #32, at Brown's height, weight and complexion definitely qualifies as his likeness. Who else could it be?

Both sides must've though $600K was fair, or at least worth not having to spend additional time and money pursuing/fighting the case. And he was important enough to the game that EA used his likeness despite Brown telling them not to use it. $600K seems light if you ask me.
Plenty. Multiple domestic violence arrests. He's been a pretty big civil rights advocate (many people are against some of the positions he's taken).

With that said, none of the matters because it has nothing to do with the law.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #75
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Thats not the point.

Nobody knows who me or you are either. But if I played in the NFL (even if I was a barely famous lineman) and they used my likeness without permission....I'm suing.

Its called a likeness RIGHT. I have the right to approve anyone using my likeness and I have a right to be compensated for using my likeness.
I actually know the law: my point is valid, that many people still do not like Jim Brown and therefore are not happy he was awarded $600k, regardless of laws, which may be just laws or unjust laws.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #76
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Plenty. Multiple domestic violence arrests. He's been a pretty big civil rights advocate (many people are against some of the positions he's taken).

With that said, none of the matters because it has nothing to do with the law.
I think Bezo meant, what's there not to like about Brown specifically in this situation, not overall. Of course there are plenty of things anyone can choose to not like about most anybody, the main thing is people potentially bringing those biases, whatever they may be, into this, which they shouldn't.

This is why imo threads and topics like this on OS should tread lightly because if not careful, it can easily get into some other areas not suited for a video game message board, which in my case, I come to discuss video games to avoid that type of discussion.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #77
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
...Multiple domestic violence arrests. He's been a pretty big civil rights advocate (many people are against some of the positions he's taken)...
I was thinking about disliking him for something related to this case.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #78
Rookie

dk6663's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Most likely, more people just don't like Jim Brown; had it been Walter Payton's family, many more may have sided with the settlement, IMO.

Also, Jim Brown's likeness? How many people who play Madden really even know who he was, or care? What constituted his likeness? Being a RB on the Browns with the #32?

Then taking into account J. Brown got $600k, and he wasn't even on the cover or a promoted player that I am aware of.

That was my point exactly. Maybe I just vocalized it wrong .....
Old 06-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #79
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk6663
That was my point exactly. Maybe I just vocalized it wrong .....
Your point is wrong though. This case has nothing to do with if EA used his likeness on the cover or in promos.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #80
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I actually know the law: my point is valid, that many people still do not like Jim Brown and therefore are not happy he was awarded $600k, regardless of laws, which may be just laws or unjust laws.

Since when should a popularity contest have anything to do with the application of law? I understand people not liking Brown, I don't, but should applaud the fact that he was rightfully compensated under the law.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »