Home

Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

This is a discussion on Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

It seems the likeness lawsuit settlements and final judgements continue to roll out against sport game makers -- the last announced today is Jim Brown receiving a $600,000 settlement from EA.

Check out the full press release:

Quote:
"Iconic running back and Hollywood actor Jim Brown has agreed to accept a voluntary judgment offered by Electronic Arts (EA) stemming from the use of his likeness in Madden NFL video games, according to Hagens Berman. EA will pay $600,000 in exchange for a dismissal and release of Brown’s claims.

Brown’s attorney Robert Carey praised the outcome, saying, “This recovery marks an important victory for plaintiffs in publicity-rights cases, and athletes in particular. Big business should think twice before it turns players’ hard-won identities and achievements into merchandise without permission or compensation.”

Brown concurred, “I took a stand for all athletes and laid a framework for future plaintiffs with my great legal team. Hopefully, this is a step forward in getting companies like Electronic Arts to recognize the value that athletes have in selling their products.”

EA’s best-selling Madden NFL football game allowed users to play as Brown’s team (the 1965 Cleveland Browns) and other historic franchises. Brown’s suit alleged that EA asked to use his likeness and that he expressly refused. EA nonetheless created an avatar in the game that mimicked Brown’s height, weight, skin color, experience, team, position and ability level.

The payment will exceed amounts EA has reportedly paid other athletes to appear not only in the game, but on the Madden NFL cover."

This is obviously just the latest of several lawsuits ongoing against EA for using likenesses within past sports games. The most famous of which was the Ed O'Bannon case which effectively ended the NCAA Football and Basketball series' from EA.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
how many other pro football athletes are suing ea? what does this mean for the future of the series? does this only apply to players who have retired? I know in basketball series, reggie miller, charles barkley and chris webber are never in video games anymore. Is this the same type of situation??
Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Banned

Brightline's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jim Brown Wins $600K Settlement Against EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstsportsgamer1977
how many other pro football athletes are suing ea? what does this mean for the future of the series? does this only apply to players who have retired? I know in basketball series, reggie miller, charles barkley and chris webber are never in video games anymore. Is this the same type of situation??
Will not have much of an impact on the future. For EA to use a player's likeness it needs permission. EA has an agreement with the NFLPA for current players and has separate agreements with any former player it uses (like in ultimate team).

The issue here dates back to when EA had classic teams with unnamed rosters but with players who had the build, number, and attributes of the real player.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Banned

WISports's Arena

Re: Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

Jim Brown is the biggest (insert bad word here). Always has been, always will be.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Rookie

dk6663's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
Jim Brown is the biggest (insert bad word here). Always has been, always will be.
True that. Talented maybe, one of the best, sure. But I never really liked him or his attitude. 600K, a piddly drop on the EA bucket. He could have kept that, the doggone lawyers are going to get most of it. Wast of the courts time. he must not have any kids or grands that ever wanted to be Jim Brown in Madden. #AndImReallyMadAboutIt !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Probably running out of money and needed a payday, EA being an easy target
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

EA should make all their "fake" players purple, or green.
I really feel EA should give me some money 'cause I'm sure one of their creations looks like me.

Syracuse #44
Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
MVP

XxKnicksRules215xX's Arena

Good for Jim Brown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »