Home

Practice Squad Advantage

This is a discussion on Practice Squad Advantage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
Rookie

dk6663's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Practice Squad Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk6663
Where did they say that the practice squad players could be poached ??

Found it in a Blog : Practice Squad

Each team now has a 10-man Practice Squad that they can control week-to-week. It all starts in week 4 of the preseason. Instead of cutting players, you can now easily move eligible players to the Practice Squad where they will develop as you train the various position groups during weekly training. These Practice Squad players are available in Free Practice so you can test them out down on the field. At any point during the season, you can pull up a player from the Practice Squad to your active roster or vice versa. Only players with less than 2 full years of NFL experience are available to move to the Practice Squad so you won’t be able to stash your veterans on it. The Practice Squad is the place to develop younger players into guys that can have an impact on your team during gameday. Just like in the real-world, your Practice Squad players are free agents and can be poached by other teams for their active roster.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #18
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk6663
Where did they say that the practice squad players could be poached ??
I've played the game, my guy.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

There is one major advantage in adding it that I myself can think of.

If madden 17 is anything like the previous iterations. Once a certain number of players hit free agency, players start disappearing. I can't tell you how many times I have missed a player ending up as a free agent just to have them disappear from the game entirely. It is insane that this still happens because before I understood it was due to memory limitation but now that we are using blu-ray disks and we have more ram than ever, I don't see why this is still a problem but I digress.

Practice squads however could be a way to alleviate this. If a player who you can't quite find a place on your roster for the time being, but don't want them to disappear from the game, you can stash these players on your practice squad (especially if you are doing 32 team control) and keep them there if you ever want to pick them up and use them. For example I've had Terrelle Pryor disappear before in free agency because there are so many free agency WR's when after year one I was looking for a cheap speed quarterback with somewhat okay throw power as my back up. Under these circumstances, you can sign him as a practice squad player. No team is likely to sign him and you can keep him there if by any chance you need a quarterback.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Old 07-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Not enough information to know yet.

It's a different thing though. PS players are younger and likely not ready to contribute, so it might be slanted one way or another depending on other factors.
Ok, thanks. But practice squad players who are poached must be on the 53 main roster. Can't go from practice squad to practice squad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #22
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Another advantage I've read is that the draft classes will be bigger. So that's a win in my book.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #23
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
Ok, thanks. But practice squad players who are poached must be on the 53 main roster. Can't go from practice squad to practice squad.
Right. What I mean is that if the AI is looking for an immediate contributor they may not poach a guy to their main when they can sign a short-term FA.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
There is one major advantage in adding it that I myself can think of.

If madden 17 is anything like the previous iterations. Once a certain number of players hit free agency, players start disappearing. I can't tell you how many times I have missed a player ending up as a free agent just to have them disappear from the game entirely. It is insane that this still happens because before I understood it was due to memory limitation but now that we are using blu-ray disks and we have more ram than ever, I don't see why this is still a problem but I digress.

Practice squads however could be a way to alleviate this. If a player who you can't quite find a place on your roster for the time being, but don't want them to disappear from the game, you can stash these players on your practice squad (especially if you are doing 32 team control) and keep them there if you ever want to pick them up and use them. For example I've had Terrelle Pryor disappear before in free agency because there are so many free agency WR's when after year one I was looking for a cheap speed quarterback with somewhat okay throw power as my back up. Under these circumstances, you can sign him as a practice squad player. No team is likely to sign him and you can keep him there if by any chance you need a quarterback.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Pryor would not be eligible (too many years in the NFL), but your point is great.

It looks like it will give a point to late round talent. As of right now, I generally trade out of the picks from the 5-7 round, if there are no gems (who can be way, way too obvious, looking at you tight ends), or end up cutting those picks during preseason.

Now you will be able to at least keep and work on developing players that could be good later, but can't contribute early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »