Home

Madden 17 kicking meter

This is a discussion on Madden 17 kicking meter within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #17
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 kicking meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Interesting take, and I'll buy it for $200, Alex.

It's all psychological.

NSFW at the end of the article.

http://deadspin.com/5951285/even-if-...ing-the-kicker
Even from the psychological aspect, the feature isn't really needed is it? We as the gamer get nervous enough in these situations for the most part. It's just something that MAY work on a mental level without this mechanic making it more unrealistically effective than it really is irl. An additional in-game feature to make game ending FGs harder really isn't necessary imo, esp when every bit of info & evidence showing Icing has had the opposite effect.

"Breaking those numbers down by distance shows that icing is particularly ineffective on long field goals. Field goals are made a higher rate following a timeout at all increments, but kickers more than double their accuracy on tries of 50 or more yards, hitting 77.8 percent after a timeout, compared to 37.5 percent otherwise."
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...ctive-practice
2011...there's really not a lot of articles on this on the NFL level.

"I think when you're at this level, nothing like [icing] should matter," Bryant told the Tampa Tribune a few years back. "If it does, you probably don't belong here."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--do...225912386.html

It's only shown to have been a factor in the college level just this past season. But judging by what I've seen as well as heard from some kickers, it's not a factor to them that much. It's been an on-going joke the past few seasons with me and a friend of mine. We watch the coaches ice the kicking on a miss, and we say to each other, "well, that coach just lost the game" lol, and the kicker makes the next FG. That's why it's so bogus to me that they decided to add this.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #18
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Even from the psychological aspect, the feature isn't really needed is it? We as the gamer get nervous enough in these situations for the most part.
You can post all of the kickers saying the right thing you want, the above is why it's in the game, and because it happens in real life. Myth or otherwise. Now maybe muscle memory will result in you making it anyway - also like real life.

In the scope of video game football, it's a pretty good compromise from what we've seen so far IMO.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Even from the psychological aspect, the feature isn't really needed is it? We as the gamer get nervous enough in these situations for the most part. It's just something that MAY work on a mental level without this mechanic making it more unrealistically effective than it really is irl. An additional in-game feature to make game ending FGs harder really isn't necessary imo, esp when every bit of info & evidence showing Icing has had the opposite effect.

"Breaking those numbers down by distance shows that icing is particularly ineffective on long field goals. Field goals are made a higher rate following a timeout at all increments, but kickers more than double their accuracy on tries of 50 or more yards, hitting 77.8 percent after a timeout, compared to 37.5 percent otherwise."
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...ctive-practice
2011...there's really not a lot of articles on this on the NFL level.

"I think when you're at this level, nothing like [icing] should matter," Bryant told the Tampa Tribune a few years back. "If it does, you probably don't belong here."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--do...225912386.html

It's only shown to have been a factor in the college level just this past season. But judging by what I've seen as well as heard from some kickers, it's not a factor to them that much. It's been an on-going joke the past few seasons with me and a friend of mine. We watch the coaches ice the kicking on a miss, and we say to each other, "well, that coach just lost the game" lol, and the kicker makes the next FG. That's why it's so bogus to me that they decided to add this.
I understand what you are saying, but, some people like it, some don't. It doesn't matter if you don't think it's needed, some people have been asking for something like this. If it bothers you that much, hopefully you will be able to turn it off.

Options are good thing, right?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #20
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You can post all of the kickers saying the right thing you want, the above is why it's in the game, and because it happens in real life. Myth or otherwise. Now maybe muscle memory will result in you making it anyway - also like real life.

In the scope of video game football, it's a pretty good compromise from what we've seen so far IMO.
How? If you haven't noticed the fact that most kickers miss the initial kick the opposing coach ices them on all to make the next, the numbers don't lie. Icing the kick has been a non-factor in NFL games for the most part and actually does the opposite. I doubt it's bogus that most NFL kickers DON'T care about icing. If you are a kicker and a coach ices you, you still kick the ball. That kick helps gives the kicker a better grasp on what adjustments he needs to make the same kick afterwards. It's pretty legitimate and logical as to why it's not the mental huddle people assume it is. I'll take the kickers word on it. Like other people in these interviews and articles have said, it's only done because it's "what the coach is supposed to do" in a way, but it's simply not effective enough to bring in this mechanic to make it harder. The numbers don't lie.

I'm just not sure how it makes sense to add a feature that makes it harder to connect on a FG after being iced when the numbers show the FG is usually MADE after being iced (esp the further the FG is). You should feel free to manually and naturally ice your opponent if you want, but an additional feature simply isn't warranted since they are usually made anyway after being iced.

Last edited by TheGentlemanGhost; 07-03-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Well, when we can still kick it in Madden after a timeout has been called perhaps id agree with you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #22

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I've always felt that this was one area where football video gaming has failed us. Kicking is way too easy. They need to make the margin of error significantly less.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 07-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

Don't foget that most of the time in the NFL the timeout and snap happen around the same time. Thus the "adjustment can be made" argument. In Madden we can't do this so technically we don't get that adjustment chance as a user or CPU for that matter. So in my mind you really can't compare the two.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html
Old 07-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I'd love for an option similar to True Free Throw in the 2k basketball games. I want 0 input on the kicks for my team. I always super sim any special teams play so that blocks can happen, better returns can happen, or a kicker might miss something the game would not really allow with playing the play. It's made having better rated kickers/punters more important in my franchises/dynasties. I can't just grab a kicker with 99 power and 50 accuracy.

It'd also be neat to have bad snaps in the game. I remember playing Phobia in a game of APF a long time ago and had two snaps sail over my punter's head in the same game. I had never seen it to that point and it happened twice in one game and did not feel forced at all.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »