Home

Position Flexibility Idea

This is a discussion on Position Flexibility Idea within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Position Flexibility Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
One of the numerous things that can be taken from The Show. EA is too closed minded tho.
It's probably not a case of too close minded, more like, a very big difficult task in an engine and setup (CFM) that is just not built for yearly wholesale changes to the way CPU manages players. But I don't know, it could be very easy??

Would be pretty groovy if they did something like this though...
Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
Rookie

Icon14 Re: Position Flexibility Idea

What I've always liked to address this is to get away from "assigned" positions completely. Players don't have positions, they have skills.

Now, to make this work, you need to rethink how positions work in the game. Imagine during the draft/FA when you need to find someone to play RB. When you rank/search the draft class for a RB, what you're really doing is picking a set of skills that make up a RB, and ranking the players according to that set of skills. The way it is today, you're basically just filtering out players that don't have "RB" as their assigned position, regardless of the skillset match.

Take this a step further, and the game engine becomes simpler, too! For every activity on the field, you only have to take into account the actual relevant skills of the players. You no longer have to track the position of the player. Did the player put a tall speedy WR in the TE slot? It's not cheese if the defense only recognizes the player by the skills, and sees that this is a fast tall pass-catcher. Want to put a fast FS at DE to speed rush? Again, the position doesn't matter if the offense sees it as a speedy (light) pass rusher with low strength.

Of course, the unsaid trick in all this is that you need to make EVERY rating matter, and they have to make sense ACROSS ALL PLAYERS. That's the rub. You can't have 6'5" WRs with 80 STR and then have all TEs also have 80 STR. That's just not realistic. The fast FS guy needs to have a STR that is realistic to the OL that is blocking him. (so he gets blown up when he's run at)

Anyway, that's my ratings rant for today. I've been thinking about this a LOT lately...
Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrest Games
What I've always liked to address this is to get away from "assigned" positions completely. Players don't have positions, they have skills.

Now, to make this work, you need to rethink how positions work in the game. Imagine during the draft/FA when you need to find someone to play RB. When you rank/search the draft class for a RB, what you're really doing is picking a set of skills that make up a RB, and ranking the players according to that set of skills. The way it is today, you're basically just filtering out players that don't have "RB" as their assigned position, regardless of the skillset match.

Take this a step further, and the game engine becomes simpler, too! For every activity on the field, you only have to take into account the actual relevant skills of the players. You no longer have to track the position of the player. Did the player put a tall speedy WR in the TE slot? It's not cheese if the defense only recognizes the player by the skills, and sees that this is a fast tall pass-catcher. Want to put a fast FS at DE to speed rush? Again, the position doesn't matter if the offense sees it as a speedy (light) pass rusher with low strength.

Of course, the unsaid trick in all this is that you need to make EVERY rating matter, and they have to make sense ACROSS ALL PLAYERS. That's the rub. You can't have 6'5" WRs with 80 STR and then have all TEs also have 80 STR. That's just not realistic. The fast FS guy needs to have a STR that is realistic to the OL that is blocking him. (so he gets blown up when he's run at)

Anyway, that's my ratings rant for today. I've been thinking about this a LOT lately...

Totally agree, the skills need to be 0-100 scaled across all positions and having size and weight factored in (a weak 70STR 300lb DT is still going to be hard to move verses an 80STR 220lb WR, he just won't push back as hard).

Combining this idea with totally unlocked formation subs could work wonders, but the game needs to work for that to work... i.e. a FS at DE, whilst fast, should be destroyed by the OT if he gets his hands on him. This would also work better with off-ball injuries, that same destroyed FS at DE would be at a higher risk of injury just by the size and strength mismatch.

This also needs much improved and deeper scouting to work. Some players come out of college with such varied skill sets they can play multiple positions. Devin Hester was an anomaly, was he a CB, WR, HB or just OW (harhar, Denard Robinson).

I can but a PG at C in NBA2K but it doesn't mean I should, as his post defence, rebounding and paint offense will all suck and he will get owned every game!!! That's how it should work!

Last edited by Mattanite; 08-11-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
Rookie

JimmyT85's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother005
I think the easiest way to do this would be to apply the same type of position logic from Mlb The Show. Each player has their main position and then has back up positions they can play also. If you put them in a position they can't play they don't grow and have penalties applied.

Now I would love if players could attempt to learn a new position through practise/ training camp/ preseason or something. Also think it's complete B.S. that players can't learn new schemes even after 10 years playing in it. If I draft a 4-3 Zone MLB and he plays for me in a Tampa 2 style for a few years, he should be able to switch to knowing the Tampa 2 style as oposed to the standerd 4-3.
I guess the good thing about that is that you can edit this in CFM this year
Old 08-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
Rookie

bmike904's Arena

I agree there should be more flexibility with position, especially those that actually happen in the NFL. (WR at RB - OLD at DE). As far as the cheese goes that is a simple fix in my opinion. Online ranked games should have the strict guidelines they have now and CFM should have that as an option when setting up the league. i.e. "flexible position - on or off"
Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3

The one thing they need to add is a designated Long Snapper position in the game. Zak DeOssie of the Giants has made a long career as a long snapper/special teams coverage ace. But he is listed as a TE in the Madden roster and always get's cut immediately since his rating as a TE is like 51. Jon Dorenbos as well, same thing back when he was active still.

I wish there was a spot for these guys to exist individually as Long Snappers
Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
Rookie

I think they should just give players a 4-3 and a 3-4 position so a guy who is a speed rushing DE in a 4-3 would automatically become a OLB in a 3-4 or a 4-3 OLB would automatically become a MLB in a 3-4 depending on their attributes.

You could do the same thing with DT so a 295lbs DT doesnt become a nose tackle, he would move to a DE in a 3-4.

I would also like to see them use backup RB and TE as 3rd receivers or lower if their rating is high enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »