Home

What do you do?

This is a discussion on What do you do? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What do you do?
Try for a field goal 50 55.56%
Go for it 15 16.67%
Kneel 8 8.89%
Punt 17 18.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #41
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
What has that percentage been in Madden? Possibility of you making the FG is higher than converting a 4th and 5. Sorry, but it think that's fact. Unless you call geese play.
I think the whole point of this thread is that, in Madden 17, the field goal is NOT automatic anymore. Sure, in past Maddens the answer is obviously to kick the field goal, but now that kicker ratings actually matter and blocking kicks is actually possible, it can affect how the situation will play out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #42
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
HB toss and run the length of the field for a safety while zig zagging all the way.

Lol. U know, I have rarely played online due to cheese. But, I tell u what, man, I played some guy several years ago, and he tried to run the clock out like that with Mike Vick. He ran from the 50 all the way back to the goaline, and I was able to hit him while he was trying to get rid of the ball and he fumbled!! Lol. I picked it up for the winning TD. It was hilarious. I know you're being more specific in going for a safety, but I will never forget this guy trying to do something similar and losing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #43
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
I think the whole point of this thread is that, in Madden 17, the field goal is NOT automatic anymore. Sure, in past Maddens the answer is obviously to kick the field goal, but now that kicker ratings actually matter and blocking kicks is actually possible, it can affect how the situation will play out.
I will be PUMPED if KAC actually matters. Like the meter with a low KAC guy is super fast and hard to get center.

Is the meter distance specific? Like there are guys automatic from 30-39 but once they hit 40 it's a low %. That would be nice to have it specific.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
Rookie

Yazan Gable's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I think in past Maddens, kicking the field goal is the easy choice. You're almost guaranteed to make it, and it'll effectively end the game.

However, 17 is different. There's a risk that your FG might be blocked, and since FGs are harder, if you miss you put your opponent 7 yards closer to the end zone. In 17, I might try to pin them deep or just kick it out of the back of the end zone.
If I did not have the confidence that I could get 5 yards in a play then I would have to question how good a player I was. 5 yards is pretty easy if you have a decent understanding of your playbook for route concepts. Then again I am thinking offline against AI, not against another player, but even then if we're this late in the game and I'm up 7 I have confidence they can't go 70 yards in 16 seconds with no timeouts. How easy or difficult a field goal is doesn't really play into it, and the down being 4 instead of 1, 2 or 3 doesn't make the ball fly any slower or my players catch any worse.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #45
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

I kick the field goal or try to pin them deep with a coffin corner punt depending on the wind and the reliability of my kicker and my effectiveness with the kick meter.

I'm a conservative coach and I stick to the safe call. You are up by a touch down with very little time left on the clock, you have 5 yards to get the first down, and if you don't succeed you place them in a very advantageous position for a hail mary type of play and in some cases a play before they try to hail mary if they can get out of bounds.

If you get the field goal, you seal the win. If you miss, same as not getting it for going for it on 4th down. However if you pin them deep with a punt, not only have you taken about 5-7 seconds off the clock, you also are now forcing them to make a deep play, get out of bounds and then make another deep play which forces a ton of pressure and puts them at the lowest percentage possible of succeeding. If you go for it and make it, you keep the ball as time goes out, if you fumble and lose it you have lost your momentum and give them a chance to score (or win), if you throw an int it is possible they run it all the way for a pick 6, if you fail, to get the 1st they get the ball back. I literally see no advantage to going for it in risk versus reward. The only thing I can possibly understand the argument for going for it, is if you call a pass play and scramble with the qb, not for yards, but to burn as much time off the clock as possible. Either way I'm still either going fg and putting more points on the board, or pinning them deep and forcing them to succeed with very low percentage plays in very little time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #46
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I will be PUMPED if KAC actually matters. Like the meter with a low KAC guy is super fast and hard to get center.

Is the meter distance specific? Like there are guys automatic from 30-39 but once they hit 40 it's a low %. That would be nice to have it specific.
This would be awesome

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #47
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Kick.....the.....FG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #48
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18