Home

Madden NFL 17 Gameplay - Short Video Clips (GameInformer)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Gameplay - Short Video Clips (GameInformer) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #49
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 17 Gameplay - Short Video Clips (GameInformer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Yes, exactly. All I saw there was the same thing that makes me put the game away. These super human, ridiculous looking movements that lead to turnovers. I know it's being touted as "smarter" defense, but it's not smarter, it's super human. In real life, he would have to plant his foot, attempt to change direction and get over there. Chances are he'd probably slip or have to put his hand on the ground to regain his balance. That is a case where you throw that pick and you throw your controller out of frustration. The overall player movement is still so choppy and stuttered.
Completely agree. All three of the plays in that video look really bad when it comes to player movement.

Spoiler

In the first one, Mathieu is running to the right with the receiver running his route pretty much parallel with him in the opposite direction and yet he's still able to come to a complete stop with both feet flatfooted and then just turns and immediately maintains speed with the receiver who's already running.

Spoiler

The second one it's Manti Te'o and it looks like he starts to turn his hips to the left and then mid step just swivels back to his right and immediately jumps.

Spoiler

The third one is the best looking of the bunch IMO. My only issue is how quickly Lee breaks through the ball.

These plays look good on the surface but there still is way too much warping paired with a lack of momentum and acceleration IMO.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #50
Rookie

steeldee7's Arena

OVR: 0

Yes some of the movement is still choppy but the 1st video is very realistic. These athletes actually do this its called a cone drill to measure this type of ability. If you have never played sports you wouldn't understand. The second video is a problem Madden always had. But the 1st one is something I've watched and done myself on a court and grass field. Its called explosion in scouting terms. It was also a bad throw behind the target.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #51
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeldee7
Yes some of the movement is still choppy but the 1st video is very realistic. These athletes actually do this its called a cone drill to measure this type of ability. If you have never played sports you wouldn't understand. The second video is a problem Madden always had. But the 1st one is something I've watched and done myself on a court and grass field. Its called explosion in scouting terms. It was also a bad throw behind the target.
Idc what you run in the cone drill. If a wr is running or slant or drag to the left like in the first video, and you're running the opposite way like Mathieu, there no way you can stop, change direction, then accelerate again all while keeping stride for stride with said WR. It's not realistic at all.

This is where we are with madden movement. Way back when, when there was another football game they went with realistic animation over complete user control. This meant you had to allow your players to accelerate and decelerate before you could change direction. EA when the opposite direction giving full user control to players at anytime without regard to physics. It's why swerve running is a thing. Maybe a new engine can fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #52
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

As long as aggressive CPU catches are toned down, I'm good. My Madden 16 matches almost read like a script now:

CPU 1st Down: Stopped for little or no gain
CPU 2nd Down: Stopped for little or no gain
CPU 3rd Down: Prayer chucked into double coverage, resulting in a miraculous one-handed grab that would turn Odell Beckham Jr. green with envy
Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
I read early on, that there were going to be new gameplay camera angles added to this years Madden. Can anyone confirm this?
They said there would be new "camera angles" not gameplay cameras. They were talking about presentation camera angles. It's already been confirmed there are no new gameplay cameras. We seriously need a Custom camera option back though.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #54
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Over analyzing a simple play. First video- he no doubt has cover one responsibility.

He moves to his left not sprints to center of the field. He starts to breakdown and stops at his spot, before the wr gets to the hash. So he is dead center. The wr is at the hash when he changes direction.

The wr gets past him during his change of direction. But being an explosive athlete he makes the change and accelerates. The throw is soft and behind. He made the catch at the other hash.

It is a video game so real life movement is a harsh standard but...

If video Tyrann Mathieu didn't make that type of play in that situation I would throw my controller.

Swerve running while still cheese is nowhere near the problem it was in Madden 13-25. Swerves messed up pursuit angles. They upped the AI adapting its pursuit angles every release.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #55
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I am really impressed with the zones and line play. The game is looking even better than 16....which IMO was the best console football game to date.

Great stuff. We are less than 30 days away!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #56
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

That's one play.

I am not saying Madden is perfect and movement and momentum is spot on, and there are bad examples you can find and post, but to say play one is "bad" or terrible goes too far IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »