Home

Day 1 Patches, Madden, and you

This is a discussion on Day 1 Patches, Madden, and you within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
Banned

Brightline's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Day 1 Patches, Madden, and you

The problem is that not everyone has an internet connection for these games. So if an update is merely "improving" the game then that fine, either you have an internet connection or dont. But if you ship a "broken" game that is dependent on a title update to work as advertised then you really should have some mechanism in place to get that update to those without a connection. Or if you cant/wont do that then just be sure to disclose the situation so a consumer can make an informed decision.

EDIT: I recognize that there is a huge grey area between the two scenarios, but the principle is more important than any single situation.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

I can't imagine that the amount of customers without high speed internet is significantly high at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
It's as simple as this imo: games were shipped "unfinished" and "in need of updates" from the beginning; you just didn't know because patches weren't a thing and you didn't have the internet.

Frankly we're getting closer and closer to annual-release games just becoming subscription-based with constant updates anyway. Let's just do that and get it over with already.
I totally agree with this. I would rather releases come out at the proper time rather than some arbitrary date. I guess they prefer the hype and anticipation that causes casual gamers to buy it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
I totally agree with this. I would rather releases come out at the proper time rather than some arbitrary date. I guess they prefer the hype and anticipation that causes casual gamers to buy it.

That doesn't apply in this case. The NFL is the one that sets the release date.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
That doesn't apply in this case. The NFL is the one that sets the release date.
There is nothing that says all new upgrades need to be released just before the season starts. I understand that the roster needs to be updated but game improvements could be done anytime. From a programmers perspective, August 22nd is a random date that has no bearing on the readiness of the new features.

Don't get me wrong, i understand why they do it, but that concept is outdated back to when sending out patches was not the norm.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #22
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
There is nothing that says all new upgrades need to be released just before the season starts. I understand that the roster needs to be updated but game improvements could be done anytime. From a programmers perspective, August 22nd is a random date that has no bearing on the readiness of the new features.
Yup. Case in point - Salary Cap Ranked was added to Madden NFL 16 this past April, well after launch.

EA is undoubtedly still obligated to a boxed release every August as part of their exclusivity agreement, but that doesn't mean that they must wait until August to deliver new features.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, i understand why they do it, but that concept is outdated back to when sending out patches was not the norm.

Where I did say the full game had to be out before the season started? I was talking about this line in your post: "I would rather releases come out at the proper time rather than some arbitrary date." Because to the NFL this probably isn't some arbitrary date they probably have a reason for why they release the game in late August instead of the first of the week of the season. EA would probably love to have another couple weeks and have the game come out the Tuesday before the regular season starts. I understand that they can, will and do keep working on the game throughout most of the year. Hell we had a patch come out in April that CM Hooe referenced. That's the latest I remember a patch coming out in Madden. Hell, I don't remember any patches being released in month 9 of a yearly release not just Madden.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
I think you have to keep in mind that some folks prefer to play this game offline. If a patch is necessary, doesn't that mean an extra expense for the customer or can consumers download the fix for free? If they want to add content via a patch along the way, I applaud it. However, if they release a disc that has a severe glitch, enough to make the game unplayable as advertised, that is just flat out inexcusable.
Patches are free. It is a reasonable expectation that a user can get their system to a network connection. They have to base their development on the majority, not the minority, which I'd assume systems off the network are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »