Home

Madden NFL 17 Video - Player Regression and Menus (MoonlightSwami)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Video - Player Regression and Menus (MoonlightSwami) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 17 Video - Player Regression and Menus (MoonlightSwami

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's the prime of the career for the superstars who make it that far, but many NFL players don't get even a second big contract. The vast majority won't get a third contract. In fact that age threshold may be generous; how many players from a given draft class are out completely of the league by age 29?
Is that because these players regress? or because the teams replace with younger players with more potential, or are currently better? That 27/29 year old is probably replaced because they didn't progress enough, not because they are starting to regress.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
Banned

Brightline's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 Video - Player Regression and Menus (MoonlightSwami)

I dont think ball carrier vision should decrease with age.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #27
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Is that because these players regress? or because the teams replace with younger players with more potential, or are currently better? That 27/29 year old is probably replaced because they didn't progress enough, not because they are starting to regress.
You are absolutely right on this, the average joe gets replaced not because he has gotten worse, but because he didn't get significantly better after college. So teams move on to younger players who still have the chance to get that much better. (not to mention rookies are cheaper than vets)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #28
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

That HHCD pass breakup at the end there was a thing of beauty. Loved how it looked.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #29
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's the prime of the career for the superstars who make it that far, but many NFL players don't get even a second big contract. The vast majority won't get a third contract. In fact that age threshold may be generous; how many players from a given draft class are out completely of the league by age 29?
Is that because they regressed due to "bad play" (this system completely boggles my mind), or because they were never good enough in the first place and just weren't signed after their first contract? What about guys who got hurt and were never the same?

The game doesn't replicate these things (to be fair, no game that I've played really does) so they just go with "This guy is 28 and he didn't reach this arbitrary goal, so it's time for him to start getting worse."

Watch me play video games
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #30
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Does the game still judge CBs solely based on how many picks he has? Or is there a built in system to determine how shutdown he actually was? I'd love for the CTH allowed stat to ACTUALLY work and use that to judge a CBs effectiveness. They fixed the ast. tkl and half sack stat, and the CTH allowed stat has been broken for like 10 years.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Is that because they regressed due to "bad play" (this system completely boggles my mind), or because they were never good enough in the first place and just weren't signed after their first contract? What about guys who got hurt and were never the same?

The game doesn't replicate these things (to be fair, no game that I've played really does) so they just go with "This guy is 28 and he didn't reach this arbitrary goal, so it's time for him to start getting worse."
Valid point.

From a purely video game standpoint, the game needs some sort of mechanism to encourage the user and CPU to draft new players, as opposed to just signing mid-level free agents every year. Most sports games currently go the early regression route; if you don't put up some level of stats, you lose ability.

Thinking about it, as far as I know no sports game quantitatively captures the value of potential / a player's ability to improve in its OVR formula; maybe they should? Should a Madden player's development trait and age be components of his OVR rating?

I could see on one hand how artificially inflating OVR for younger players with more ability to improve could make CPU roster management more realistic - cut older players who don't produce and progress just by nature of getting older - but on the other hand it doesn't necessarily represent a player's skills as truly as possible, which is the entire purpose of the OVR rating.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #32
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I like how Breeland regressed based simply on a "bad year" LOL. I do like that you can now see how much and why a player regresses but it just confirms to me how poorly of a system progression and regression is. The static nature is horrible IMO, seemed like every player that hits 30 regresses the exact same with extremely small variation. I also wonder why the user had pretty much his entire team regress and when he went to the Steelers they didn't even have one player that showed regression. Maybe because they were in the playoffs I'm guessing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »