Home

Madden NFL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #25
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 17 Impressions

Have only played a 1/2 so far and the commentary is SOOOO much better.

The players move so much more fluid. After play interactions between DBs and WR are a nice added touch.

On the opening kick off, first time touching the game there was a blocking in the back call.

Also, I love the new kicking options. Specifically backspin punting.

Last edited by franch1se; 08-17-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #26
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

lol, had an awesome fumble pileup/scrum in practice, wish I could have used instant replay to get a better shot of it.

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/gamec...1-78087818a40c

Have had a couple of odd bugs/issues, had the CPU kick a 'good' FG that didn't go through, it doinked off an invisible box around the camera that seemed to extend a few feet in front of where it sits in the goalpost.

Had a ball bounce off my receivers hands 15 yards down the field, and bounce all the way back to nearly my QB where it was picked off by a DE (Seahawks' Cassius Marsh) that had been pursuing him.

Jumped offsides on a 2pt conversion, announcer said I was trying to get a head start to block the extra point try.

Saw a great organic fumble/poke, but was followed by a bizarre train to the end zone of players who opted to not tackle. https://account.xbox.com/en-US/gamec...1-78087818a40c

Last edited by mestevo; 08-17-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #27
Rookie

KWilliams2003's Arena

OVR: 0

After not playing since Madden '15 (Sherman Cover), I've found myself to be quite rusty but after I got to using the new catch and running controls, it was quite a fun two games.

Game 1 Dal vs. Buf

Buffalo beat me 24-23. I had to learn that you can't just aim to kick. You have to aim and maintain to kick accurately. (Blew a field goal and two XP's to figure that one out.) Running game is so much better! Out of the box on All-Pro, I got loose with Zeke once. But, I got stuffed as the game went on. I love that they figure it out and just load up on you. Passing game was sucky... three turnovers by Romo. (1 INT and 2 fumbles... one of which gave them the lead late in the 4th.) But, the more I got used to doing it, the more I hit my stride. Just like riding a bike. Though, I do believe that pass coverage as a whole is weak. But, I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed via tuning. Overall, I had a fun time playing again!

Game 2 Dal vs. Hou

I beat them 26-13. Run defense was there, for sure! But, Zeke would not be deterred. Blew another XP... when will I learn? Pass defense was weak on both sides... but like I said, I don't think it's anything that couldn't be fixed via tuning. Still had a lot of fun and learned from the mistakes of the last game.

Overall

Initial impressions are great! The game is a lot more fun to play and much more unpredictable. Pass defense is a negative but it can be fixed. Kicking takes a little to get used to; otherwise, great new system!

Too much to really hit on for initial impressions but a lot of the issues I found in '15 that took a lot of the fun out of it aren't there in '17. Game isn't perfect by any stretch but it's playable out of the box.

I don't wanna do too much with the different game modes because I just want to play games with my ten hours of demo time. Haha...

But, I'm sure as a community, there will be a lot of input.

I love the game and I found it to be quite enjoyable!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #28
Rookie

iNolaNightmare's Arena

OVR: 1
Madden NFL 17 Impressions

Just got done playing for several hours. Played one game and practiced a bit. My scattered thoughts:

-Someone in a review said this is the best commentary in a sports game ever. They were right. It is so deep and immersive. It's incredible to hear players being called their names for the first time in forever. At one point Keenan Lewis picked off Matt Ryan while defending Julio and Gaudin exclaimed "and it's intercepted by Keenan Lewis!!" seamlessly. Then Charles Davis chimes in how Matt Ryan had his favorite targets in Tony G and Roddy White but now it's just Julio and that pass to Julio didn't work out so well. This is the best commentary ever for a sports video game, and that's coming from a 2k fanboy. When I skipped the halftime show immediately, Gaudin chimed in with something like "can ya let the guy finish his snickers first??"

-gameplay is definitely smoother. I can't really explain this so you'll just have to play and see yourself.

-The running game is much better. Holes are more prominent and easier to read which is good but also easy to abuse. It is incredibly easy to run the ball in my opinion.

-Stepping up in the pocket is essential. The CPU pass rush is fast and when they blitz they will get you quickly. A pocket does form and it is very important you step up in it to get more time. But decision time has to be fast.

-Wasn't getting a lot of pressure from my dline or defense even when I blitzed contrary to the Cpu.

-Aggressive catch is tuned down.

-Streaks are incredibly too easy. I could probably score on a streak to Brandin Cooks every play if I wanted to.

-Lighting, graphics have made improvements.

-The presentation is excellent. Best ever for a madden. Lots of camera angles that you see when you watch on Sunday.

-QBs fumble a lot. Doesn't always look like one though.

That's my thoughts really for now. Gonna hit the hay. I know it's scattered and there isn't really a summary but I'm so exhausted. Hope I helped
Old 08-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #29
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

WOW look at this INT. Check out the DBs left arm and how he swings it around to create the INT. I can't remember interactions this good in Madden. I didn't play 16 that much.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:59 AM   #30
Rookie

Somethings I noticed, was first off for some reason recovering a fumble on a punt return results in the play ending even though player does not touch the ground. They pick up the ball and the play is called dead. Also, not sure if it was a small sample, but my buddy and I wanted to test out tendencies so we had him as the Steelers in CFM and he went to week 2 - we noted the Bengals % of what they liked to do so far (2 weeks into the season) and simmed to week 15. Bengals did not have any % change, I am hoping that through the course of a year teams adjust and you can see a change in these numbers. If say a teams star RB goes down, you see run % go down - probably won't but was a little disappointing to see.

The commentary is amazing and so nice to listen to
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
WOW look at this INT. Check out the DBs left arm and how he swings it around to create the INT. I can't remember interactions this good in Madden. I didn't play 16 that much.

I saw a similar type play, also saw where a guy tried to punch the ball out and he missed but was still holding onto the guy taking him down and he punched it two more times before going to the ground
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #32
Rookie

Just managed 1 game before having to go to work. So these are just base off of 1 game so it is possible some of these things were flukes. Obviously more testing will be required.

Pros
Great defense on coverage in man. Had my guess in man on an island as denver and they kept them locked up most the game.

Commentary is fantastic

Player movement with the ball is great

Little details like those attempted stripes toe touches on sideline catches ect.

Ball physics. Had an onside kick and the ball squirmed around and a fumble that popped up after taking a hit that floated forward. No point in challenging as the computer caught the fumble anyways so either a fumble 6 or pick 6 not worth a challenge lol

Computer seems to be solid on the defensive side of the ball all together.

Cons
Defensive line got little pressure and was stonewalled a lot as denver that wasn't good. All 3 sacks in my one game were on coverage sacks. And I was usually bring 5 to 6.

Blocking ai. This was a problem for me last year and it was back multiple times in my game. Lead blocker just has to block one guy and he decides he is going to get the touchdown so he runs up field and avoids the one guy in front of him and goes and blocks no one. So annoying and kills the run game.

Ball physics. Yes it was a positive but then you have those 20 to 30 yard bounce backs that just look bad.

Kicking. Overall I felt it was fine until one of the kicks I missed the accuracy on decides instead of effecting the accuracy of the kick it would adjust power. So a full power kick with the missed accuracy turned into a 20 yard punt with a return. I'm fine with a shank in that situation as it is more believable, but a baby kick down the middle of the field that the computer had time to run up and grab it in stride was just bad. Missed accuracy should just make a shank of a kick not effect power.

Computer offense. Their pass blocking was unbelievably good giving Carr all day against denver's pass rush but than their run game was under 2 yards a carry. Mine was under a yard a carry as my line wouldn't block anything. Hence the bad blocking ai earlier. Yes the computer beat me 13-10 on 7 minute quarters but their offense had 65 yards to my 145. Scores set up on the fumble 6 and that stupid punt. They managed one good drive late though. Which would be a pro as they did milk the clock out at the end.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 87Birdman; 08-18-2016 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Forgot the first part

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »