Home

Lack of statistical detail

This is a discussion on Lack of statistical detail within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Lack of statistical detail

It is disappointing that in today's age of powerful gaming consoles there remains a dearth of statistical detail and availability in the Madden series.

A feature I really miss is the team played for being included with the player card's career yearly stats. This small addition added authenticity and history to a CFM played throughout several seasons. The yearly stats for the players also removed any sign of who the game stat lines were produced against and just stacks them up without reference to opponent. Yes, you can go back and determine who the opponent was fairly easily with some additional clicking through menus, box scores, etc, but that's not the point. All of the stat data presented is also not totaled up at the bottom.

Going back several iterations of Madden (I forget which one it was) all of the aforementioned items were in the game, on the player card. When moving to the new generation of consoles-with much more storage space and power- these nice details were inexplicably left out.

Taking it a step further, why is there no historical record of Super Bowl winners, MVPs, off/def player of the year, etc? Stats could also be broken down into regular season and playoff categories for each player on their card.

Tracking individual franchise records and not just NFL records would be fun for someone playing a long term CFM with one team. Maybe a player won't be setting any NFL records but will break the franchise record for passing, rushing, etc.

It may seem like a small detail to some, but it would really enrich the historical context and immersion factor for a CFM experience.

I'm no computer programmer, but from a layman's point of view, these seem like simple additions to be made. I could be wrong.....

What are your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Lack of statistical detail

I've been wishing for this forever....it's a big reason why I don't stay loyal to a long tern cfm no matter how hard I try and want to....
Old 08-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

they are simple additions to make. look at nba 2k who does this flawlessly. me and my friend had an association go like 12 seasons and it was so cool when we realized we could look back at all the stats and past award winners. we were so used to madden where thats not a thing. it really makes you wonder why madden doesn't have it
Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
they are simple additions to make. look at nba 2k who does this flawlessly. me and my friend had an association go like 12 seasons and it was so cool when we realized we could look back at all the stats and past award winners. we were so used to madden where thats not a thing. it really makes you wonder why madden doesn't have it
It's purely priorities. It wouldn't necessarily be hard to display the database of stats like we want, but it would take some time developing new UI and other stuff. It's not a "flip a switch" sort of change but it's also not a huge one that would take a ton of time. It just isn't important to the developers, which is a theme for franchise players ever since the move to CFM. The fact that they said that this was a year they were focusing on CFM and we hardly got anything (fair play, we finally got formation subs back in a day one patch, that's good) really concerns me for what we'll be getting next year when CFM might not be a 'focus.'
Old 08-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Teams played for are in the front end of the game when looking through rosters. They disappear in CFM.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

This is one of the things that completely kills the realism for me in CFM, I would much rather have full statistical data than have them spend time changing the kick meter every single year.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

I want this and advanced stats. I want targets, catch rate, QBR, DVOA, all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I want this and advanced stats. I want targets, catch rate, QBR, DVOA, all of it.
To add onto this - let's also add in WPA, EPA, Success Rate, defensive WPA+, defensive EPA+, defensive success count, and basically anything from the book The Hidden Game Of Football (pretty good book, btw) or from what Brian Burke came up with for Advanced Football Analytics.

Also, things like QB spray charts, running back stats by gap run at, WR stats by route... let's just go all out with stats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »