Home

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
AI QB Scrambles

Wanted to separate this out from the main Bugs and dev tweets thread to discuss.

Note: THIS IS NOT THE "AI QB WON'T PASS AT ALL" GLITCH. THAT'S A SEPARATE ISSUE

So I am testing this now. Cover 2 man is traditionally a defensive call that will induce QB runs because there are no intermediate defenders and no one assigned to the QB. I am playing defense only against Tyrod Taylor and am charting situations as "missed scramble opportunities."

Now, QBs shouldn't theoretically scramble all that much. This postfrom 2013 states that there are about 2.8 QB scrambles total per game, about 1.4 per team. However, using a strategy where we run a very scramble-friendly defense we should induce about that many from the AI QBs.

If you're interesting in working on this problem, please try to replicate my testing (perhaps with a better man defense), and take screens when you think the QB should have run, such as this one below:

The more evidence I can get on this the better chance I have of getting it tuned, if it's not already being worked on.

Last edited by mrprice33; 08-24-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: AI QB Scrambles

Basically did the same thing earlier with Cam Newton and the Panthers vs the Saints (me). I intentionally played a lot of zone and tried to focus on pressuring the pocket while ignoring the QB run.

Cam had two rushes on keepers out of the zone read and one legit scramble.

About the scramble. Cam was in his passing stance, holding the ball, and gradually drifting/walking to the right and up towards the LoS. Once he got really close to the LoS he tucked the ball and ran.

It was like he was in a trance to pass until he tiptoed close enough to the LoS. He held on the ball for a stupid long time with acres in front of him.

Cam finished that game with three rushes.

It feels like QB's just lack the situational awareness they had last year. There were times in 16 where, if I wasn't paying attention the AI QB would make a really crafty scramble two or three times a game. They AI doesn't seem to be reacting that way right now.

I'll try to provide some visual examples tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Early in m16 qb's scrambled almost as well as m15, and definitely rolled out of the pocket away from pressure to try and make the pass (which at first was a big improvement on m15). One of the major patches to m16 bugged QB scrambling / rolling out Cs pressure and seemed to make any mobile QB act immobile / almost never scramble under pressure. That bug was documented here but never addressed. I believe whatever caused that problem remains.

It would be nice if this dynamic can be addressed in a patch. I miss the days of having to worry about QB's taking off.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
8/11/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Basically did the same thing earlier with Cam Newton and the Panthers vs the Saints (me). I intentionally played a lot of zone and tried to focus on pressuring the pocket while ignoring the QB run.

Cam had two rushes on keepers out of the zone read and one legit scramble.

About the scramble. Cam was in his passing stance, holding the ball, and gradually drifting/walking to the right and up towards the LoS. Once he got really close to the LoS he tucked the ball and ran.

It was like he was in a trance to pass until he tiptoed close enough to the LoS. He held on the ball for a stupid long time with acres in front of him.

Cam finished that game with three rushes.

It feels like QB's just lack the situational awareness they had last year. There were times in 16 where, if I wasn't paying attention the AI QB would make a really crafty scramble two or three times a game. They AI doesn't seem to be reacting that way right now.

I'll try to provide some visual examples tomorrow.
I'd be stunned if they weren't working on this. In a dozen games I've seen zero CPU scrambles. As you say, they did something that messed up the scrambling A.I. from last year. It still had some issues in 16, but now I have to say that it is, the dreaded "B" word.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
EA Game Changer

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

How many designed runs are you seeing get called?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
8/11/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
How many designed runs are you seeing get called?
I would say around 1 or 2 a game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

OVR: 0

Designed runs come from the playcalling, which im able to see why Cam would, when you go to the Panther PB(star system in Custom PBs), it has those calls starred that way.

Now the issue with qbs not scrambling when pressured, seems like a "traits" not functioning correctly.
Didn't we see this before?
Pocket qbs scrambling more than scrambling qbs?
Didnt they have to patch something similar last year?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

mrprice,

In Armor&Swords slider thread it has been suggested that you uninstall and reinstall the game as a remedy until a patch comes. I have not done this yet but others seem to say that made a difference. This remedy sucks for digital owners..
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »