Home

EA Server Issues (Update: EA/Blizzard were DDoSed)

This is a discussion on EA Server Issues (Update: EA/Blizzard were DDoSed) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Server Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Generico
I've played hundreds of online CFM games in the past few years, and have never once had this issue...

You guys may want to check your connections. I play with a wired connection, which may help.
Just now, I was editing players, and when I saved the changes I made, it kicked me out of franchise because of server issues along with what I mentioned in the OP after completing games. It's all around server issues... and I can only assume it's not the connection for 3 reasons:

One, I play wireless with a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk router (built to handle gaming) on a 75 MBPS Suddenlink connection.

Two, when you lose connection, it kicks you out of franchise to the main home screen, where I can see I'm still logged-in in the top right corner under my PSN ID. If it was my Suddenlink connection, it would log me out of my PSN ID which it doesn't. I only receive EA server issues and can't log-in to my online franchise.

Three, I recall having sparse server issues with any other games I've played, including COD and Battlefield. I have way more server issues with online franchise than I do with those games, and I play Madden less than I do them. I'd say 3:1.

Last edited by bigd51; 08-30-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
If it was my Suddenlink connection, it would log me out of my PSN ID which it doesn't.
Not necessarily true. I'm on 100 Mbps down/up FiOS with Frontier Communications. Since this past weekend they've been having intermittent issues in southwest Los Angeles (where I live), and I've had zero connectivity to certain web endpoints at seemingly random times. On Saturday I specifically couldn't connect to the Madden servers at all (despite having a PSN connection) as well as Twitter, and just yesterday I was suffering 100% packet loss when attempting to hit Twitch. During these specific outages, I could still hit other websites - OS, Google, Facebook, etc. never "went down".

Until you've exhaustively proven otherwise, don't misattribute to the game what could very well be your ISP causing the issue (particularly when it works well for the vast majority of people).

All that said - one thing I really would like to see is some ability for the game to preserve your progress in online Franchise games as they progress to avoid this happening; for example, maybe it could save your progress to the server at each quarter break. The very few times that this has happened to me, I agree with you that there is nothing more frustrating than having to replay a game, particularly if it was a memorable one.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #11
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I've yet to have connectivity issues.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Until you've exhaustively proven otherwise, don't misattribute to the game what could very well be your ISP causing the issue (particularly when it works well for the vast majority of people).
I get that, but I rarely have server issues with other games and apps, such as Call of Duty and Netflix and I use them more than Madden. Hypothetically, say it is a packet loss issue. How is it I have more hypothetical packet loss issues on a game I don't spend nearly as much time on as I do COD and Netflix?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
I get that, but I rarely have server issues with other games and apps, such as Call of Duty and Netflix and I use them more than Madden. Hypothetically, say it is a packet loss issue. How is it I have more hypothetical packet loss issues on a game I don't spend nearly as much time on as I do COD and Netflix?
tl;dr - something is going wrong specifically between your console and wherever the Madden servers live, and that problem is not physically in the way when you play COD or watch Netflix, which live in different places on the internet.

Longer answer, and speaking at an extremely extremely simplified high-level: when you request a URL on the internet, you aren't connecting directly to any address you request. Your message jumps through a number of different hops to navigate from your computer to the destination. Your request travels up from your computer to a neighborhood common access point, which forwards your request up to a more common access point if need be. Your request gets forwarded further to increasingly more central nodes and then sent downward from the common endpoints to its destination. It's a little bit similar to a transportation network; to drive to a friend's house in the next county, you might leave your house and take your neighborhood road to a local highway to an interstate, then off the interstate exit to his local highway and his neighborhood road and finally to his house. Point being you and many people use common high-traffic roads to travel between two general locations as fast as possible, then leave the common roads to smaller, less-traveled, and more local roads to reach specific locations.

Now imagine that there's a car crash on which closes the exit off the interstate to your friend's local highway. There's no longer a way to get to your friend's house, so you can't go visit him until the road opens again. This is what happens when any one of those more common hubs has a problem. The hub, when it goes down, can't route traffic downward to more local nodes or upward to more central nodes. If you are behind the node, the effect is that you can't see a lot of the internet. If you are outside of that node attempting to talk to a computer behind the node, your requests to communicate with it fail.

It certainly gets far more complicated than what I just described - for example, there are commonly redundancies in the network topology, particularly on regional and national scales, and should a node go down data can be sent down a longer path (so the network can still function, albeit slower). However, with latency (i.e. ping; the amount of time it takes for information to travel between two points on a network) being the most important factor in successfully playing online video games (as opposed to bandwidth, the amount of data you can send and receive at once; this is what your ISP advertises for internet speed), if your request is sent down an alternate route and takes too long to come back to your computer, the game / app more often than not will detect that the request is taking too long and will quit you from the game, as to minimize the impact on the online experience for other players.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:21 AM   #14
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

EA Server Issues

Well, wherever the issue lies, it is nothing more frustrating than loosing the results from a game you spent time playing. What I don't understand is they let you keep playing the game. Why can't they save the data locally and upload it to your online CFM once a connection is reestablished?

For this reason I am going to have to restart my CFM offline. At least then I know the game will count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 AM   #15
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

few nights ago on xbox 1, i got disconnected from back 2 back games and it gave me a win for the first won when I was getting beat bad. lol, and the second game right after disconnected in the 2nd with 28 secs left tied at 7-7 but it never registered and win or lose for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #16
Rookie

Haven't had an issue since release date tonight got kicked out of back to back games. I am done for the night.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »