Home

46 Defense Scheme?

This is a discussion on 46 Defense Scheme? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Rookie

KeanuReevesRules's Arena

OVR: 0
46 Defense Scheme?

I didn't ever noticed until recently that while there are schemes for all sorts of defenses, etc. There aren't any schemes or players in the draft that are designated as 46. Obviously, this is less of a schematic point of view and more of a playbook. Anyone have success with this playbook? If so, what kind of players work best?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

Re: 46 Defense Scheme?

I think the 46 defense ties into 4-3 players and defensive scheme. You only see 46 formations in 4-3 defenses or multiple formation playbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Rookie

KeanuReevesRules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungodfather
I think the 46 defense ties into 4-3 players and defensive scheme. You only see 46 formations in 4-3 defenses or multiple formation playbooks.

So in scouting prospects I would look for Attacking 4-3 DL/LB. That makes sense... I'm more concerned with what I should look for in DBs. I am finding that the 46 playbook is basically terrible in pass heavy Madden anymore.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanuReevesRules
So in scouting prospects I would look for Attacking 4-3 DL/LB. That makes sense... I'm more concerned with what I should look for in DBs. I am finding that the 46 playbook is basically terrible in pass heavy Madden anymore.

As it should be. It's designed to stack the box for runs.
I haven't played online yet this year, but I think it was madden 25 were people stayed in 46 cover 3 and still was able to stop 4 verts.

But to answer you question, I'd look for run stopping DTs (high strength and block shed) and Lbs) Block shed and tackle). With formation subs I'd have those type of people's in a 46 defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

You can look for whatever dbs tickle your fancy. Since they will be on a island most of the time due to your 8, 9 man box the 4-6 shows, you definitely need speed/cover skills. If just depends what style of play calling you plan to use. Mostly zone blitzing go with zone dbs man blitzing, man dbs etc

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
I didn't ever noticed until recently that while there are schemes for all sorts of defenses, etc. There aren't any schemes or players in the draft that are designated as 46. Obviously, this is less of a schematic point of view and more of a playbook. Anyone have success with this playbook? If so, what kind of players work best?

If the 46 in Madden worked like it used to in the 80s in real life, you'd want a fast SS and 3 big linemen and one great outside pass rusher linemen. Usually the 46 involved a NT, the other DT, and the LE playing directly on top of the LG, C and RG (DT and LE might line up on the outside shoulders of the linemen). The SS functioned as a linebacker does in a 4-3 over/under front, and two of your linebackers were at the line of scrimmage, at least one blitzing almost every play.

In a lot of ways it functioned like a 52, with the two linebackers on the LOS taking the place of a single end, and a single high look in the secondary with the SS replacing a linebacker, except in multi-WR formations, in which case a Jayhawk adjustment is made.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8
46 Defense Scheme?

The 46 defense isn't really a viable defense IRL anymore with the small exception of maybe goal line.. Offenses are too good throwing the ball now. Even in the college landscape, teams are more and more lining up hybrid backers and more defensive backs on the field to add more speed to defend the pass.

With how offenses are changing to pass heavy type of setups, teams aren't running 46 anymore. I think this is why you won't find those types of guys in the madden drafts.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

46 isn't viable in Madden or the NFL for more than situational downs. I will use it when opponents cross into my ten yard line occasionally; I know that even if the WR beats his man off the line, the CB can still contest the catch.

Using it as a base defense is pointless because the personnel would end up looking alot like the 43U anyway and that playbook has more options for attacking offenses with coverage and blitzing.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »