Home

Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atax1s
What's new about the double tap passing is that it works this year. Especially on dig routes to clear linebackers in an underneath coverage on drag routes.

It worked last year as well in the same situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Do you ever take the checkdown?

lol yes I try to but maybe not enough. Or maybe I miss the open guy and pass to the covered guy instead.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:05 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

Can I get a little shock collar hooked up to the game that zaps me when I miss the MLB covering the crossing route and throw it straight into his chest?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
A couple of things on the article, first correct the typo that says two safeties high indicates cover 3. That is wrong, perhaps you meant cover 4.

Second, if this is meant as a guide of sorts I would have went into more detail on how to make reads. For example in most cases as soon as I snap the ball I look to the middle of the field, regardless of where my primary target is.
Why? Because most times that tells me all I need to know about the defense. Sure crafty defenses can run combo defense with zone inside while matching up in man on the defense, but that is rare.

I think it is better to provide the steps on how to make post snap reads rather than leave it at scan the field.
Good points ggsimmonds!

You're right in that a 2 high look is def more of a Cover 4 indicator with both safeties and outside CBs dropping straight back. I've been fixated lately on my Skins dropping into some Cover 3 variations from their base 3-4 look this preseason (safeties splitting the field/mike backer getting depth on snap/corners covering the short zone, traditional - walk D Hall/Sua Cravens up/corners drop deep, etc...). Again, it's preseason so we'll see what happens when the lights turn on.

This is just an intro article. Our plan is to get into more detail as it relates to specific plays but as always, your feedback is top notch!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Good points ggsimmonds!

You're right in that a 2 high look is def more of a Cover 4 indicator with both safeties and outside CBs dropping straight back. I've been fixated lately on my Skins dropping into some Cover 3 variations from their base 3-4 look this preseason (safeties splitting the field/mike backer getting depth on snap/corners covering the short zone, traditional - walk D Hall/Sua Cravens up/corners drop deep, etc...). Again, it's preseason so we'll see what happens when the lights turn on.

This is just an intro article. Our plan is to get into more detail as it relates to specific plays but as always, your feedback is top notch!
No problem.

Regarding the real NFL, yeah since most teams actually do the same things it is all about disguising coverages, and outside of the "cover 2 show 4" types of plays (great additions from a few years ago but does anyone know if it offers any benefit against the AI?) Madden somewhat lacks in that field.

Though from what you described the Skins doing it sounds like they are running some Tampa 2 (safeties playing 2 deep, corners sitting, and MLB dropping back). Tampa 2 has worked really well for me in this year's Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »