Home

Online vs. offline

This is a discussion on Online vs. offline within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Online vs. offline

For someone playing a single player franchise, what's the difference between online and offline? I'm at the end of season 2 in an online one, but couldn't access it during the EA servers hacking. I figured I should just do an offline one so that it doesn't matter what the servers are doing, but didn't know if I would lose any functions or options offline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

Re: Online vs. offline

Once ea releases the CFM app, you'll be able to make roster adjustments from your phone. Until then, there's no real need to play online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Rookie

The question I've yet to se answered is whether or not game patches effect offline franchises without a complete restart.

After last nights DDOS fiasco I'm contemplating starting over with an offline CFM, but I know that patch that will fix the run/pass tell on defense (if wr names are visible it's a pass, if no names are visible it's a run) is coming.

If I can start an offline franchise and still benefit from patches without starting over I'm doing that tonight
Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Indeed, I might just switch now if the patch question is answered.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Rookie

Mav3rek7's Arena

Online advantages --
Cloud saves, accessing your franchise from anywhere to see stats, etc.
Patches/Updates are deployed seamlessly and do not require restarting your franchise to see them take effect.

Online disadvantages --
If you lose connection to EA Servers, you lose your franchise progress since the last save. Many times people have reported finishing a CFM game, and then getting a messaging saying they lost connection to the servers and lost that games progress/stats, etc.
No internet = no online CFM. DDoS means you can't play your CFM. This is likely a rare occurrence, but when it happens it sucks. Generally these types of things happen around the holidays, or big game releases.

Offline advantages --
Mid game saves. Need to leave in the middle of a game? Simply turn off your console and walk away. When you come back, you can pickup from where you left off.
Saves are local to your system. No internet, no problem.

Offline disadvantages --
Some patches/updates may require you to restart your franchise in order to see them take effect. This has yet to be determined, but it has been the case in the past.

I think that's about the gist of it all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

The patches thing is usually more of an "online gets it earlier" than "online gets it and offline doesn't without a restart." Usually if they can make a fix work online without a restart they can make it work offline too, you just have to wait until the next patch drops.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks for the clarification. Sucks that there's such a potentially huge downside to either online or offline.

Edit: I suppose I'll stick with online. The prospect of having to potentially start over an entire offline franchise to correct a game killing bug seems like a bigger gamble than potentially having to replay a few games in online franchise.

As far as online saves go. Is it possible to access your online saves and revert to a previous save. Say you cut a player by mistake, or completely booger a draft. Is it possible to access your online saves, or does the game only keep one save file on hand that it constantly over writes as you progress?

Last edited by nightRAMcometh; 09-01-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Adding On
Old 09-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightRAMcometh
The question I've yet to se answered is whether or not game patches effect offline franchises without a complete restart.

After last nights DDOS fiasco I'm contemplating starting over with an offline CFM, but I know that patch that will fix the run/pass tell on defense (if wr names are visible it's a pass, if no names are visible it's a run) is coming.

If I can start an offline franchise and still benefit from patches without starting over I'm doing that tonight
I'm going to have at least one of each. Last year they introduced the XP sliders, but it was only available for online CFM. They've already said they plan on releasing continuous updates, so I want to make sure I don't miss out.

I'm going to keep a offline CFM, so Madden isn't useless when the servers are down

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »