Home

Stretch runs

This is a discussion on Stretch runs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Stretch runs

So a guy runs one play and you don't want to run the counter to it cause you'll be running the same play and believe that all plays should counter it? Okay... If you call plays that have defenders hitting the inside gaps, you think you're gonna stop an outside run? Come on man!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

OVR: 2
Stretch runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
So EA implements gap control to play the run realistically and contain the edge, it doesn't even work right now so the solution is to only call one play and user a player to stop (AKA Madden 16 and prior), and suddenly EA is praised for the skill and football knowledge required to succeed in the game?

Something isn't adding up. Gap control working should be the solution here, not doing workarounds because the force and contain defenders do nothing.

My point is there is a tool to stop every play in the game, in prior years this wasn't possible in Madden, is it perfect no but it's there. People are always gonna try and exploit I'm just happy that those exploits can be contained or shutdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

It's far from impossible to stop stretch runs or tosses.

Having said that, I definitely do limit the amount I call vs the CPU in my franchise. There are just too many plays where the contain is awful by the CPU on this play for whatever reason. Just try to limit the # of times you call the play when playing the CPU and it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

OVR: 2

Most people who spam tosses and stretch plays all game have nothing eles.. When I shut that down they always end up quitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Am I missing something? Stretch runs were worse at launch and the newest patch fixed the outside defenders covering the runs. They may still be a bit op'ish but they aren't completely broken.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Am I missing something? Stretch runs were worse at launch and the newest patch fixed the outside defenders covering the runs. They may still be a bit op'ish but they aren't completely broken.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I was just typing the exact same thing...

I started noticing the defenders containing a lot better after the patch..it was rough at launch though
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Cover 4 puts both safeties in the defensive run fit as force players on either side of the formation. Use that to defend against Stretch.

Your defensive play calling matters a whole lot this year because not every play puts the same number of players in the run fit, or the same players even. If you are sitting back in Cover 2 Man the whole time, for example, the first thing both safeties do is step backward to start dropping into their deep halves, and they don't have gap responsibility in the run fit. Of course you are gonna get beat with the run at some point if both your safeties are consistently playing pass first.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-06-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Cover 4 puts both safeties in the defensive run fit as force players on either side of the formation. Use that to defend against Stretch.

Your defensive play calling matters a whole lot this year because not every play puts the same number of players in the run fit, or the same players even. If you are sitting back in Cover 2 Man the whole time, for example, the first thing both safeties do is step backward to start dropping into their deep halves, and they don't hap gap responsibility in the run fit. Of course you are gonna get beat with the run at some point if both your safeties are consistently playing pass first.
If Cover 4 is the best bet to stop a run play, that itself is a huge concern in that the game doesn't reflect the real football. Last year Quarters was used to stop the run and this year it's Cover 4. Realistically how can a formation with 4 deep safeties be able to stop running the ball (say from a 2 TE of 2 RB sets)? If you do the math, offense will have 5 linemen, 2 TEs and a FB blocking for the HB, i.e. 8 blockers. How can a Cover 4 realistically stop a run play consistently when the numbers on the defense are not on their side? In real life I should be able to gash you for 4-5 yards every play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »