Home

Resigning Players CFM Strategy

This is a discussion on Resigning Players CFM Strategy within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Resigning Players CFM Strategy

Anyone have any tips on how to do better at this? As its constructed now, unless I'm completely missing something (not out of the realm of reason as I'm pretty new to CFM), there doesn't appear to be a way to see what the player actually wants as far as length/salary/bonus, so its just been a crapshoot for me so far. For example, I'm in Year 2 of a CFM with the Jaguars. Week 3 rolls around the first 2 players I can resign are Allen Robinson and Blake Bortles. Robinson is up to 92 and had a huge season in Year 1. I started with the fair offer and then bumped up the bonus and salary by about 1m each, figuring that was more than fair. Robinson was delighted and signed immediately. Next I go to Bortles and followed the same strategy, he's only an 85 but has been great for me. I added about 1m above the fair salary and bonus each and he said "The only thing I like about that is the length" which was very vague. Week 4 rolls around and I try again, increasing each by around 2-2.5m over the fair deal recommendations. In response he just says "Im going to try free agency" and it locks the negotiating option. So now I'm in a a lot of trouble and don't know where to go from here, I can keep him and franchise him at the end of the year, so pay him way way more than his overall rating and value determined he's worth and wreck my cap, can let him walk and try to sign him on the open market, or try and trade him now and take a pretty sizable cap hit of 3.3m. All I really wanted was to keep him long term and I thought I had made more than a fair offer but guess not. Anyone have any tips on how to get better at this? At the resign players screen, I also have 3/5 OL starters, my ROLB and several other first teamers who are coming up and if possible with the cap, I'd like to keep the majority of my team together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Rookie

althor's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Resigning Players CFM Strategy

I havent had a single player turn me down when I extend the years.

if the default is.... 4 years, 2.4mil, 750k signing bonus

the only thing I change is the 4 years and they accept every time.

If they are under 26 I give them the max years if I plan to keep them.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Rookie

OtherMoon2's Arena

I think it is meant to be a sort of a crap shoot, it makes the resigning/signing FA coach attributes more important. I have been trying to figure out to what length I can adjust the salary and bonus -- I like to work numbers around to make sure I am prepared for the following seasons finances.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Rookie

Follow up question: I traded for Dak and ended up moving Bortles for picks at the deadline, made more sense to me to eat the cap penalty this year/next year, than to let him walk and get nothing back or franchise him and pay him 20m+ for one season and destroy my cap. Played a few games with Dak and while he's currently only a 76, he's really solid. Is there any way to extend a player's deal before they come up under "Big Decisions- Resign Players" during the last year of their deal? I'd love to go ahead and lock Dak in long term at a reduced rate if possible.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

Might not be the ideal fix, but you could just edit Bortles and give him a realistic contract that way

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've had some annoyance with this too.

You give most guys what is considered a "fair offer" and they don't like any of the terms. I've had to overpay on salary and bonus for everyone. Maybe it's the fact I have a brand new rookie coach? Some guys you fail to negotiate the first time and they shut down.

Guys with terrible OVR are asking for the moon...and I'm like "ha. Hit the bricks Jack"

I guess it's better than M16...where you could just flat out rob guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »