Home

Horrible draft

This is a discussion on Horrible draft within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Horrible draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
As stated before, there has been a cloud update to the draft classes.
If I was to start a new offline franchise would this effect those classes or is it only for online?
Old 09-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #58
Banned

I think the debate in this thread really helped me reach a decision about the patch, so thank you guys for that. Definitely not getting it. I think this change was made without considering how it might effect critical aspects of the game experience and was based on the most shallow of reasoning.

Most of us madden guys have known for a long time OVR rating is just a general 'at a glance appraisal' and offers no tangible story of a players true ability. Everytime we sliced up teams with a no name back up QB, had monster games with any number of never were RB's, or molded Taylor Mays into modern day Ronnie Lott we were spitting in the face of the OVR dogma. And we were relatively cool with that because, hey we're football geniuses.

But for some reason there is still some irrational part of your basic madden gamer who still has to pay his 10% tithe to the 90's rated clergy. We know it essentially amounts to name recognition, but don't screw with our faith.

So really what do these inflated OVR's really mean in the scheme of things with the prenerf draft classes? What's it all boil down to? The average salary is gonna go up. Oh, that's horrible and would never happen in pro football. It's much more realistic for it to go way way down after the current players start retiring, greed dies with them after all. As a madden player who is probably more interested in what happens off the field in my franchise, I reject the 'logic' introduced with this change.

I for one am a Madden atheist. Lets start looking at things a little more objectively here.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #59
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4190
If I was to start a new offline franchise would this effect those classes or is it only for online?
Only online

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #60
MVP

OVR: 1

it is clear to me, we have two types of game players here.

- some want a good handful of impact players immediately.
- some who want more realistic drafts where only one of two rookie really a big difference.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
it is clear to me, we have two types of game players here.

- some want a good handful of impact players immediately.
- some who want more realistic drafts where only one of two rookie really a big difference.
Realistic draft classes where youll never have an UFA play a down in the NFL because the talent pool is so top heavy and diluted?

I think some are looking at the big picture and some aren't.

EA should consider leaving the altered draft classes out of the patch, that way we have access to both and it wont really be an issue.

Last edited by wellred; 09-18-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
Realistic draft classes where youll never have an UFA play a down in the NFL because the talent pool is so top heavy and diluted?

I think some are looking at the big picture and some aren't.

EA should consider leaving the altered draft classes out of the patch, that way we have access to both and it wont really be an issue.
the chances of an UDFA playing significant downs in the NFL is less than 0.5%.

currently, i have three UDFA on my roster after three years. one is 77 rated and is my third CB. the other is 78 rated and my backup HB - he's good enough to start but i have carlos hyde at 90 OVR. my K was an UDFA who is 99 rated after four seasons.

my practice squad is full of 70 OVR rated players - seven of the ten are UDFA.

i've already beaten the odds of real life on my own.

i scroll through every team during the offseason - these are my UDFA findings:
- seven teams have UDFA OL guys who are 74 rated or better. of those seven teams, four are good backups and four are starters.
- four teams have LB rated 74 or better. two are backups, one is a starter.
- nine teams have CB rated 70 or better. most are backups.
- ten teams have WR rated 73 or better. most are backups.

this doesn't include the numerous UDFA K & P who are well rated.

there are three UDFA players rated in the 80s after three years. one a pro bowl player. one is a starting WR.

that is way above the NFL real life average.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
the chances of an UDFA playing significant downs in the NFL is less than 0.5%.

The whole premise of your post is based on a pretty dodgy looking statistic with no citation, and also has a subjective and unquantified measurement that there is no uniform definition for. "Significant downs" is not a scientific term for sure so it appears this statistic was taken from an opinion piece.

There were 486 undrafted players who made week 1 53 man rosters in 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000659714

In other words, roughly 25% of available roster spots. So yeah, Id say that's a pretty significant portion of NFL players.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #64
MVP

sorry, didn't make that clear.

"significant snaps" means becoming either a starter or regular sub-package contributor within their rookie contract

that statistic of less than 0.5% was used by the NLPFA during a presentation to rookies before the 2015 season. ross tucker quoted it on his podcast last month & ESPN used it during this week's MNF broadcast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »