Home

Horrible draft

This is a discussion on Horrible draft within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Horrible draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
sorry, didn't make that clear.

"significant snaps" means becoming either a starter or regular sub-package contributor within their rookie contract

that statistic of less than 0.5% was used by the NLPFA during a presentation to rookies before the 2015 season. ross tucker quoted it on his podcast last month & ESPN used it during this week's MNF broadcast.
Still way too many weighted criteria to be treated seriously as a stat, now it has to be during their rookie contract, so it obviously excludes the UFA who sign one year deals and go on to be regular contributers afterwards. In most cases I wouldnt think UFA would be starting their first year or likely even second year anyways. So it's not a surprising or helpful number.

What's far more alarming is:

Quote:
currently, i have three UDFA on my roster after three years.

That is way below the league average and I assume you mean with the stock draft classes.

The altered classes are way worse in this regard, and are a gross misrepresentation of how rosters are formed in the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #66
Banned

rich8682's Arena

Quote:
the chances of an UDFA playing significant downs in the NFL is less than 0.5%.

currently, i have three UDFA on my roster after three years. one is 77 rated and is my third CB. the other is 78 rated and my backup HB - he's good enough to start but i have carlos hyde at 90 OVR. my K was an UDFA who is 99 rated after four seasons.

my practice squad is full of 70 OVR rated players - seven of the ten are UDFA.

i've already beaten the odds of real life on my own.

i scroll through every team during the offseason - these are my UDFA findings:
- seven teams have UDFA OL guys who are 74 rated or better. of those seven teams, four are good backups and four are starters.
- four teams have LB rated 74 or better. two are backups, one is a starter.
- nine teams have CB rated 70 or better. most are backups.
- ten teams have WR rated 73 or better. most are backups.

this doesn't include the numerous UDFA K & P who are well rated.

there are three UDFA players rated in the 80s after three years. one a pro bowl player. one is a starting WR.

that is way above the NFL real life average.
Tony Romo, Chris Harris, Wes Welker, Priest Holmes, Jason Peters, James Harrison, Antonio Gates and Kurt Warner all went undrafted. Also tons of guys drafted late have become stars. Richard Sherman, Antonio Brown and arguably the GOAT QB Tom Brady just to name a few. And it's unrealistic to have a pro bowl UDFA? Really? If anything it adds realism.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #67
Rookie

I believe that the development crew knows how a roster is formed and knows how drafts often work. Now I don't doubt that making it very accurate to real life is incredibly difficult, and it seems they do a good job for the most part.

However, they have to think about their customer base when making these decisions. Is the majority of players going to play 10 seasons? Or are they going to play a couple and want to easily get impact players?

That's why I think that these are the reasons why there were so many great players in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #68
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
But did you play through those 10 seasons so you can watch the league and the players grow organically? I doubt many have done that yet. They just simmed ahead looked at each guys one number and came to a judgement about it with little to no context.

Drafting impact players is what the draft is about. Not 'I got a bunch of meh guys, but its cool, Ill give them tons of preseason reps and bank mad exp bro'. It's essentially removing the bust aspect of the draft.With glutinous exp sliders any knob can become a pro bowler if you keep using him. It goes both ways on that argument.

The point is you shouldn't be able to just automatically draft impact players. Sometimes EJ Manuel is the best QB in the draft, and that's just what you have to live with.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #69
Banned

rich8682's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
The point is you shouldn't be able to just automatically draft impact players. Sometimes EJ Manuel is the best QB in the draft, and that's just what you have to live with.
But you can't just automatically get am impact guy every draft. 80+ in the draft is pretty rare.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #70
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8682
But you can't just automatically get am impact guy every draft. 80+ in the draft is pretty rare.

Exactly, for every Andrew Luck, theres Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker...(all 1st Round QBs)
Old 09-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #71
Banned

rich8682's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Exactly, for every Andrew Luck, theres Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker...(all 1st Round QBs)
Yeah and there are a ton of QBs in Madden drafts who are trash. There are some drafts where there are no QBs that go on to be good. Just like real life

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #72
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Honestly we are all right and wrong.

There needs to be some ready to excel players in each draft. Some mid-80s players that start and play well from the beginning like OBJ, Adrian Peterson, Luck, etc.

There also needs to be a few mid-high 70's players with Superstar/Quick dev in the UDFA pool.

In between it needs to be stretched out. High 70s 1st, mid to low 70s in 2nd, by the 7th round most of the guys need to be 60's or high 50's.

I feel like the default/pre-tuner drafts got the 1st and 2nd round right but needed a bigger drop off by round 3 with only 6-10 starter level guys, 5-8 in 4th, 4-5 in 5th, 3-4 in 6th, 1-2 in 7th.

Last edited by mavfan21; 09-19-2016 at 04:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »