Home

Too many big runs because downfield blocking is too effective

This is a discussion on Too many big runs because downfield blocking is too effective within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Too many big runs because downfield blocking is too effective

I have been tweaking and mulling over things in the game that erk me, and one is that I and the pc have far too many big runs, even on All madden. I will often with good to avg running backs break multiple huge runs a game after breaking maybe one tackle.

There are several reasons for this I think. One is that backs are much more agile and responsive to changes in direction this year than the last 2 years meaning you can hit a crease or a hole much better than before. This is fine.

The other problem is that the defense has not been juiced up to combat this. Specifically, with all of the new mechanics for run fits and gaps, players don't slide to the ball as much on outside plays. Worst of all down field blockers are WAAAAY too effective. In real life non play side blockers and wrs aren't nearly as active as they are in madden. So now a single broken tackle on a sweep or toss can lead to a huge gain 80% of the time. I have to turn down RB just to keep backs in check which throws off everything else. Anyone have ideas to fix this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Too many big runs because downfield blocking is too effective

i'd say it was partly that and partly DB just not running fastest enough to catch the RB.

the number of times i've broken a run for a TD only to watch the replay and see three DB (all faster than my RB) just not properly chase him, is kinda high.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Wr's are getting a ton of pancakes too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
MVP

i've seen my WR block a guy, spin off and block another guy which doesn't happen very often in real life like it does in M17.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Banned

The running game is just far too easy this year full stop.

I think its far too easy to get to the second level. I have no issue with what RBs can do in space. Thats why they play that position and usually when a RB has the ball in your secondary its bad news. But the cpu has no urgency getting off their blocks on the line. When Im defending the run you see guys busting through blowing up plays. The cpu rarely has that success. And if youre getting to the LB's every single run, of course its just a matter of time till you bust one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
The running game is just far too easy this year full stop.

I think its far too easy to get to the second level. I have no issue with what RBs can do in space. Thats why they play that position and usually when a RB has the ball in your secondary its bad news. But the cpu has no urgency getting off their blocks on the line. When Im defending the run you see guys busting through blowing up plays. The cpu rarely has that success. And if youre getting to the LB's every single run, of course its just a matter of time till you bust one.
my first two seasons, i never broke a long run. just didn't happen.

but now, my OL are all 84 OVR plus with high 80s or low 90s in run & impact blocking so once a game, my bruising HB will break a big one.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Pro

sportomatic75's Arena

I can second this thread. Too many breakout rushing TDs for 50-70 yards
Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
my first two seasons, i never broke a long run. just didn't happen.

but now, my OL are all 84 OVR plus with high 80s or low 90s in run & impact blocking so once a game, my bruising HB will break a big one.
What formations do you run out of? I find in power run formations the cpu will generally call an appropriate defense.

I call a lot of inside zone runs out of shotgun, and it will gash the defense bad. I average 7+ ypc running these plays. Because the cpu always calls a nickle package and spreads out their line. The hole is an easy read, and their safties better be able to tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »