Home

What are some good nickel playbooks?

This is a discussion on What are some good nickel playbooks? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What are some good nickel playbooks?

I play as the bucs in my franchise and I'm using the default bucs playbook but there isn't much nickel variety. I mostly play out of nickel and would like to be able to utilize more blitz plays and different types of nickel coverages..in the bucs d playbook its mostly the same cover 2 plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What are some good nickel playbooks?

A must have is Nickel dbl a gap.

The Bucs are a 4-3 team right? All you should need is base nickel, dbl a gap, and wide 9.

I use Seattle's playbook but word of warning, most coverages are press coverage.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Just started!

Check out the Bengals defensive playbook. Has base 4-3, wide 9, normal nickel, 3-3-5, 3-3-5 wide. Good variety for a 4-3 team.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
A must have is Nickel dbl a gap.

The Bucs are a 4-3 team right? All you should need is base nickel, dbl a gap, and wide 9.

I use Seattle's playbook but word of warning, most coverages are press coverage.
You are correct. Double A gap confuses me, what should I be using it for? blitzing linebackers through the gaps?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve15
You are correct. Double A gap confuses me, what should I be using it for? blitzing linebackers through the gaps?
It shows that you are blitzing the A gap, but you can also have your LBs bail and play coverage or have the blitz come from another area in order to create confusion
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve15
That is my blitz formation. It is not good if you are not blitzing though.

The go to blitzes (in chronological order):

mid blitz -- Generally you will get a free rusher but it will be the left defensive end. There is also a SS mid blitz that adds the SS to the blitz. He is almost guaranteed to get pressure on the QB, but it may also leave a receiver wide open.
Nickel overload blitz -- NB blitzes are often the most effective. I generally have the least success with this one compared to the others though. Good against humans if they are pinching their line after the mid blitz
SS rush 3 & outside dog -- Great blitzes if used after mid and overload. It is a bit risky as the seam on blitz side will be open, but you will get pressure. Particularly rush outside. That blitz is nasty because you are creating a overload on both sides while the 2 MLB in the a gaps drop back into coverage.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
It shows that you are blitzing the A gap, but you can also have your LBs bail and play coverage or have the blitz come from another area in order to create confusion
Yep, you pretty much know the defense is blitzing, but it could come from any side.

The only thing I dislike about it is the SS rotation. He only does it on plays where he blitzes, so it is a big tell. Wish I could have that rotation action on multiple coverages
Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
That is my blitz formation. It is not good if you are not blitzing though.

The go to blitzes (in chronological order):

mid blitz -- Generally you will get a free rusher but it will be the left defensive end. There is also a SS mid blitz that adds the SS to the blitz. He is almost guaranteed to get pressure on the QB, but it may also leave a receiver wide open.
Nickel overload blitz -- NB blitzes are often the most effective. I generally have the least success with this one compared to the others though. Good against humans if they are pinching their line after the mid blitz
SS rush 3 & outside dog -- Great blitzes if used after mid and overload. It is a bit risky as the seam on blitz side will be open, but you will get pressure. Particularly rush outside. That blitz is nasty because you are creating a overload on both sides while the 2 MLB in the a gaps drop back into coverage.
Mind providing which formations these can be found? If possible..?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »