Home

What Does Madden's AI Need to Do Better?

This is a discussion on What Does Madden's AI Need to Do Better? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What Does Madden's AI Need to Do Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'd like to see the CPU be more personnel-aware with respect to play-calling / game-day team management.

Things like rolling a safety towards a weaker CB in Cover 1 (which the CPU appears to love on this game), motioning receiving running backs like Danny Woodhead out of the backfield to the slot to create mismatches (and also NOT doing this for power backs like LeGarrette Blount), or avoiding putting weak MCV safeties against great receiving tight ends and slot receivers.

I the user can and will do all of these things because I'm deploying my personnel intelligently. I'd like to see the CPU do a better job of matching me.
I love this take. I think madden does an acceptable job within the confines of the control a user has in a game. Madden has you select a stock play and make pre-play adjustments: by player, grouping, or by audible. Substitutions are instant at the play call screen. 2 minute drills are pretty much handled the same by any computer controlled team.

For madden to take another step forward for the AI, it needs to have a paradigm shift with how games are run. It needs more layers and it needs to move past the dated way it's play call screen is set up. Once it does, the strategy element will rise up to a higher level of game management.

I'd like to see substitutions happen in real time, forcing the coach to commit time to players swapping out from the sidelines and opponents to react accordingly. Seeing that the offense's personnel includes 2 WRs, a TE, and 2 RBs could either mean I Formation with Blount and Develin or 5 Wide with Dion Lewis and James White.

I'd also like to see passive game plan strategies like CM Hooe mentioned. I don't think the user should be forced to take time telling players what to do every play. Obviously madden needs defensive assignments for shadowing receivers. It should also let you tell players how to cover individuals - like pressing or playing off certain receivers.

But what about 3rd down pass rushers or coverage LBs, or rotating linemen. I know users can do this (with some inconvenience), but I don't notice the computer doing this strategically. Basically, I'd just like more baked-in personnel distribution. Not this old depth chart method. Assigning players to only play special teams or to only come in on 3rd and long or to rotate with another player, or to play run support safeties on running downs.

One more thing. I see veteran safeties with regressed speed get burned over and over with no reaction to sub. At least put in halftime adjustments or a system to adapt to what is happening during the game.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #58
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Madden in it's original release took huge steps in player ratings. They do matter in 17! Traits have a hand in this as well. Continue to improve on that element alone. Now just simply add True Team tendencies and strategy. But also with the ability to adapt. Especially the CPU Defense. But offense as well. Depending the teams overall rating, is also how well they adapt. Obviously Cleveland does not successfully make in game changes as well as New England. That and like I've seen King and road mention, the QB play. Make Overall Ratings matter even more.(again this year took strides in a great direction) For the CPU, continue in the direction of traits. Add more if needed. Audibles at the line, tendencies, etc. That alone would help the CPU offense to play more realistic. That could be good or bad for them, depending how strong the team is.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #59
Just started!

I would like to see the ability to simply focus on taking away a play or two. It would be great if during the game, the game would tell you if your opponent runs the same play twice you could tell your defense to focus on taking away that play. Then the game would recommend a play to defend against it and the players would have much higher play rec and awareness to stop it.

It is ridiculous to know that your opponent is going to run a corner route or drags and you cannot get your defensive players in the right position. I know that user skill and knowledge of defensive plays can combat this, but this would go a long way in getting players to stop spamming the same plays over and over.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 15

I'd love to see better play calling by the cpu in all areas. Right now they basically run about a dozen plays. They don't manage the clock well, and they don't adjust. I can gash them all day with a running QB and tehy won't change their linebacker assignments. I can stuff the run all day and they won't give up on it. They don't target their start players. So many times I've played against Julio Jones and he's had 1 catch on 3 targets, and not becuase I've double teamed him, the AI just doesn't have the sense to make him a big part of the game plan.

Also the AI still will draft 3 players in the same postion 1, 2, 3. Or will draft a QB 1 overall after drafting one the year before.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #61
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

I would like there to be some connection between strategy/situational playcalling and the coach schemes.

Would also be nice to see roster development AI get better with FA and drafting. Also somehow linking certain player types to coach schemes (zone run) and leaving others open to be selected and malleable by any scheme (prototypes and balanced)

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #62
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
I'd love to see better play calling by the cpu in all areas. Right now they basically run about a dozen plays. They don't manage the clock well, and they don't adjust. I can gash them all day with a running QB and tehy won't change their linebacker assignments. I can stuff the run all day and they won't give up on it. They don't target their start players. So many times I've played against Julio Jones and he's had 1 catch on 3 targets, and not becuase I've double teamed him, the AI just doesn't have the sense to make him a big part of the game plan.

Also the AI still will draft 3 players in the same postion 1, 2, 3. Or will draft a QB 1 overall after drafting one the year before.
The CPU making it a priority to target the #1 WR is a great suggestion. Kind of goes along with overall CPU Qb improvements. Then we as a defense actually have to adjust to them. Simple things like this, can make a huge difference.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #63
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I wish I can set up plays vs the cpu. Using things like playaction or draws or even routes to set up the cpu. And conversely the cpu use those tactics on me. How cool would it be for the user to be able to dissect a game and see how the cpu playcalling manipulate your actions instead of each play being its own self contained play where there is little rhyme or reason plays get called other than accounting for down and distance? The play calling is very binary and it needs to feels like a chess match.

On the CFM front the cpu just needs better team management. Using the player roles we used to have 10 years ago would go a long way to fix some of the issues. Tags like first rounder or qb of the future sort of insured that the cpu would make decisions that benefited them in the long run. Or having the player get a bust designation and teams shying away from them or getting signed cheaper than what they are worth. And it was dynamic and I think if tied into the dynamic dev trait that would be awesome.

Sent from my LGAS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #64
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I wish I can set up plays vs the cpu. Using things like playaction or draws or even routes to set up the cpu. And conversely the cpu use those tactics on me. How cool would it be for the user to be able to dissect a game and see how the cpu playcalling manipulate your actions instead of each play being its own self contained play where there is little rhyme or reason plays get called other than accounting for down and distance? The play calling is very binary and it needs to feels like a chess match.

On the CFM front the cpu just needs better team management. Using the player roles we used to have 10 years ago would go a long way to fix some of the issues. Tags like first rounder or qb of the future sort of insured that the cpu would make decisions that benefited them in the long run. Or having the player get a bust designation and teams shying away from them or getting signed cheaper than what they are worth. And it was dynamic and I think if tied into the dynamic dev trait that would be awesome.

Sent from my LGAS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Totally agree on both parts. Especially the play calling, just feels like they are randomly throwing plays at me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »