Home

difficulty settings vs. slider? What's the deal?

This is a discussion on difficulty settings vs. slider? What's the deal? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Icon5 difficulty settings vs. slider? What's the deal?

OK. So I have traditionally played on All Pro in the past as the Cleveland Browns. I had a difficult time obviously but I would normally make some minor adjustments to the sliders to give me a fair chance. This always worked but now with Madden 17 I am having a hard time balancing things. My first 2 games of CFM offline I had great competitive games against Philly and Baltimore but I barely prevailed. It was close and felt fair.

Before I started week 3 the latest tuner came out and it automatically downloaded. I proceeded to play the next 3 games and it felt completely different. CPU was robo QB and cpu Running backs would break multiple tackles on most plays. My receivers started dropping everything and no more running lanes were opening up. I proceeded to get trounced 3 games in a row. I dunno if it has to do with the tuner or not.

So at this point I switched to Pro for one game and whipped the Titans 51-17. It was no fun and I could do whatever I wanted. At this point I am confused where to go to find balance. do I go all pro and adjust the slider to favor me somewhat or do I go with pro and adjust the slider to cripple my team and favor cpu?

And while we are at it what is the relationship between sliders and difficulty? Are they completely independent or could a person feasibly pick all pro difficulty and adjust the sliders so much that they are essentially getting Pro instead? Do you understand what I am asking?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: difficulty settings vs. slider? What's the deal?

Have you considered using some "house rules" in order to help balance things a bit(provided you don't already do this)?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBugg
Have you considered using some "house rules" in order to help balance things a bit(provided you don't already do this)?
To some degree I do use house rules but I am trying to find some settings where I don't "have" to do this. That is why I am asking the question about difficulty vs sliders. In the past in a game like NFL2k5 it was clear that the sliders at 50 were Pro and the sliders at 75 were All Pro and sliders at 100 were Hall of Famer ( or whatever they called them). So in that scheme difficulty was really just a predetermined slider set.

I'm trying to determine what makes Pro vs. All Pro so different beside the sliders. The CPU seems to make different play calls and is much more aggressive on All Pro. That I like. But certain elements feel less dynamic and dare I say more scripted?

Defenders seem to telepathically jump routes when they weren't even looking on All Pro yet on Pro they didn't jump anything? What slider controls that? Or is it a hardcoded setting in the "difficulty" that is not exposed in the sliders?

That is what I am trying to determine.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
To some degree I do use house rules but I am trying to find some settings where I don't "have" to do this. That is why I am asking the question about difficulty vs sliders. In the past in a game like NFL2k5 it was clear that the sliders at 50 were Pro and the sliders at 75 were All Pro and sliders at 100 were Hall of Famer ( or whatever they called them). So in that scheme difficulty was really just a predetermined slider set.

I'm trying to determine what makes Pro vs. All Pro so different beside the sliders. The CPU seems to make different play calls and is much more aggressive on All Pro. That I like. But certain elements feel less dynamic and dare I say more scripted?

Defenders seem to telepathically jump routes when they weren't even looking on All Pro yet on Pro they didn't jump anything? What slider controls that? Or is it a hardcoded setting in the "difficulty" that is not exposed in the sliders?

That is what I am trying to determine.
Well, best i can explain the sliders vs difficulty level is this: The difficulty level is a base setting, with the sliders adjusting that level of difficulty. if you leave the sliders the same, and move from difficulty to the other, it will get harder or easier. the sliders themselves do not change the base level.

as far as finding a balance, I personally have had great games using armor and shields method of taking over the opponents team, assigning base playbooks to them, and then retiring after the game. I was amazed at how much better the cpu played when i did this, and how much more dynamic their offense was. might be something to check out. perhaps combining that with a nice set of pro level sliders(like playmakers for instance) will work for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »