Home

Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #33
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart14
Rural town in the south. We are separated from the nearest major city by a mountain.

I love living in a small town, but they are really slow on the technology upswing.

Edit: Spelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. If you ever get online there's plenty of us gamers out here and not that big of a loser

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Heck, one thing that would probably be a tourney player's dream would be some sort of defensive scheme builder. In this hypothetical defensive scheme builder, you the user would not only pick your formations, plays, and personnel groupings, but also you would customize every aspect of your defense - whether your corners play best-on-best or stick to specific sides, whether you align your safeties always to weak/strong side or to boundary/field side, how you set up your blitzes (do you want to blitz weak side? strong side? field side? boundary side? away from a specific OL? towards a specific OL? at a weak RB in pass-protection?).
That would be beyond amazing, although I doubt the AI tech necessary to really make it work is feasible.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #35
Pro

queenie.paula's Arena

OVR: 0

I cant hear the podcast right now, does rex say when the patch might be coming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #36
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

No, he won't release dates of patches, even if he knew.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #37
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I guess I'll never understand why sim gaming can't be competitive enough for the so-called competitive Madden fans. Strategy has as unlimited a skill cap as exploits do. And stick skills are there whether the game is sim or not.
What do you mean by "sim gaming" nowadays, though?

Are you referring to authenticity in gameplay design? Because I think it's clear that Madden increases in its level of authenticity each passing year - particularly over the past two or three years - and its popularity as a competitive venture has clearly increased as this has happened. Madden already has an extremely high skill floor and even higher skill ceiling, both on the sticks and strategically. Over the past few iterations, Tiburon has done a great job of lowering the skill floor and increasing the skill ceiling both with new control mechanics and strategic changes, with most if not all of these mechanics having authenticity to source material at the forefront of the game designer's mind. All the while, the game has, again, increased in popularity as an e-sport. To this end, "sim" is not impeding the tourney culture of Madden.

If by "sim" however you are referring to the artificial and nebulous house rules that people in communities like this one selectively abide by with the explicit goal of pantomiming what happens on television to the greatest possible degree - ex. no Gronk at fullback, no "user catching", etc. - tournament style players are very obviously going to ignore "sim" because the game doesn't explicitly enforce those house rules. The tourney player isn't going to deliberately handicap himself from winning in a prize money setting over what basically amounts to a user gameplay preference.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
If by "sim" however you are referring to the artificial and nebulous house rules that people in communities like this one selectively abide by with the explicit goal of pantomiming what happens on television to the greatest possible degree - ex. no Gronk at fullback, no "user catching", etc. - tournament style players are very obviously going to ignore "sim" because the game doesn't explicitly enforce those house rules. The tourney player isn't going to deliberately handicap himself from winning in a prize money setting over what basically amounts to a user gameplay preference.
This is basically the answer. People will look for every advantage possible when money and prestige are on the line. It is no different than what NFL teams do.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:55 AM   #39
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Strategy is not the problem. The view is the biggest impediment on my opinion. You can not have the players play realistically and get a good game when the human player can see the whole field. As a qb you can look at and throw to five wide receivers at all times. As a running back you can see holes on the second level. As either you at all times can see where all eleven defenders are. To overcome this we try playing all madden or adjusting sliders to make it a challenge and get real results but are in that process making the game play more unrealistic to get realistic stats.
While I agree that can pose a problem for realism, what does this have to do with competitive gameplay?

For example, how is it that making pass rushers far better at getting to the quarterback (like in real football) in any way make the game less competitive between human players? All that would change is players wouldn't, for example, have ten seconds in the pocket to exploit ridiculous and unrealistic quick slants that are thrown thirty yards away from where the slant started. All players would have to adjust, so how would it affect competition?

Quote:
What do you mean by "sim gaming" nowadays, though?

Are you referring to authenticity in gameplay design? Because I think it's clear that Madden increases in its level of authenticity each passing year - particularly over the past two or three years - and its popularity as a competitive venture has clearly increased as this has happened. Madden already has an extremely high skill floor and even higher skill ceiling, both on the sticks and strategically. Over the past few iterations, Tiburon has done a great job of lowering the skill floor and increasing the skill ceiling both with new control mechanics and strategic changes, with most if not all of these mechanics having authenticity to source material at the forefront of the game designer's mind. All the while, the game has, again, increased in popularity as an e-sport. To this end, "sim" is not impeding the tourney culture of Madden.

What I mean is, well, take the example I gave above.

What if Madden had a realistic pass rush, to where the QB on average had 3 seconds or less to get rid of the ball? How would this negativiely affect the amount of competition? Presumably players would no longer be able to throw a slant on the opposite corner of the field from whence it started, but both players would have to adjust, so it would be just as competitive.

By the way, I have noticed that Madden is indeed slowly becoming a better and better approximation of NFL football. My post was not directed at THEM. It was directed at the people who claim that making the game more realistic in some way diminishes it, and in particular, when it comes to competitiveness.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 10-02-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #40
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
While I agree that can pose a problem for realism, what does this have to do with competitive gameplay?

For example, how is it that making pass rushers far better at getting to the quarterback (like in real football) in any way make the game less competitive between human players? All that would change is players wouldn't, for example, have ten seconds in the pocket to exploit ridiculous and unrealistic quick slants that are thrown thirty yards away from where the slant started. All players would have to adjust, so how would it affect competition?

What I mean is, well, take the example I gave above.

What if Madden had a realistic pass rush, to where the QB on average had 3 seconds or less to get rid of the ball? How would this negativiely affect the amount of competition? Presumably players would no longer be able to throw a slant on the opposite corner of the field from whence it started, but both players would have to adjust, so it would be just as competitive.

By the way, I have noticed that Madden is indeed slowly becoming a better and better approximation of NFL football. My post was not directed at THEM. It was directed at the people who claim that making the game more realistic in some way diminishes it, and in particular, when it comes to competitiveness.
I totally agreed with this. Until it was brought up about fumbles and dropped passes. Basically competitive players losing games due to these things. Is it right or wrong. Idk. If the online players don't like it, they don't like it. Honestly I wouldn't like it if I'm dominating a player and I have 2 fumbles and 3 dropped passes. He has no fumbles and 2 dropped passes. Easy for me to say that's football. Not so much if I actually played competitive online.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »