Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #73
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Loads of posts to reply to, will try to address it all here if I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechman89
Absolutely, I'm happy to help provide feedback for this tool. Glad that this same issue is on your to-do list.

I will mention that I tried modifying the unprotected version of the spreadsheet to include Skill Requirments for the G-Column "Must have at least one", but it didn't seem to work the way I was hoping/expecting. I added a B for the MLB, but it did not change the MLB in my example to a Do not draft status. I'm wondering if the current logic looks at the Tackling req. of B and the Block Shedding req. of B- (going from memory on that one, might be a different skill) and says if one of them is met, then it won't necessarily rule them out as a Do not draft. And only once both skill req. are not met does the Draft Status switch to Do not draft. Any feedback on that one?
The tool isn't designed to let you edit everything on that sheet. If you use the protected version, you'll find that only cells that already have a value in are editable. I'd like to provide an interface to allow users to freely edit all criteria themselves and add new criteria, but I fear this is probably something for version 4 or 5 as it would be very difficult and time-consuming to build.

Quote:
This is odd to me, as I read the skill requirements as an all-or-nothing requirement, as opposed to an at-least-one-of-these requirement. Am I correct here? For instance, I think QBs need an A- in Throw Power, and Bs in TA Short, Mid, and Deep to be considered draftable, correct?
No, suggest you refer to the blog post linked in the OP for the actual logic. Some of the criteria are "at least one from X Y and Z", not all of X Y and Z.

Quote:
Also, after scouting all the MLBs, there was not a single one who garnered a Draft Status of DRAFT...is this what you've been seeing in general? Maybe it was a particularly weak MLB class. It seemed that there were a number of very nice prospects, who happened to have a B- in tackling. Perhaps that skill requirement is a bit too "harsh". I had similar results with TEs and DTs; not a single one garnered a DRAFT status. For TEs, it was the 3-cone and Shuttle combined time requirement; for DTs, it was their Strength (Bench Rep) requirement that made the majority of them Do not draft simply from those traits alone. Possibly something to tinker with for v2.
If you review the OVRs after the draft, you'll find that there probably aren't any/many players who are 75+ for these positions. Some draft classes are very weak at certain positions and you may not find any players in a given class at some positions. For example, in my CFM it took me 3 years to find a draftable MLB and in that time, there weren't actually any 75+ MLBs available. You'll also find that the total number of draftable prospects varies by class. I've had a class so weak that only about 20 players were draftable in total, but I've had others where about 40 were pretty good (this is post tuning update BTW).

Quote:
As for you toying with the idea of making the draft status less black and white, this is absolutely something that would take this tool to the "next level" in my opinion. Once I had scouted the majority of available players, I had a total of ~26-30 DRAFT-able players (I did run out of Scouting Points, did too much scouting of projected Undrafted players early on...), which I don't think is enough. The majority of them were projected 1st round talents, so many were gone after Round 1. If we had a tiered Draft Status system that wasn't either Draft or Do not draft, our draft boards would have a lot more options.
My suggestion here would be to have the Draft Status to output something similar to the following:

Tier 1 - Draft, and don't think twice (Highest graded players, perhaps those above a 90-something True Value Rating)
Tier 2 - Draft, should be quite good (Next grouping of players, perhaps lower 90s TVR, into high 80s)
Tier 3 - Draft, but lacks in something (Good players, one of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, TVR a bit lower in 80s)
Tier 4 - Draftable, but probably not a star (Solid players, not elite in any categories, one or more of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, probably contains more players than Tier 1, 2, and/or 3 combined)
Tier 5 - Draftable, but low end of spectrum (Risky player with some nice traits but others are just below Skill Requirement thresholds)
Tier 6 - Risky, buyer beware (Risky player with fewer nice traits, probably not draftable)
Tier 7 - Do not draft (Does not meet more than one Skill Requirement or Combine requirement, stay away)

I think some combination of this kind of Tier system with the risk rating based on a percentage of checking criteria passed or failed would help to make this the ultimate scouting tool for Madden CFM. What are your thoughts on a Tier system and how feasible it would be to implement, Old Man Nathy?
I'm thinking something along the same lines, though it wouldn't be based on TVR, it would be based on number of criteria passed/failed. I'll see what feedback other people have about this. At the very least, I'd like to have a tier for 70-75 OVR players so that there are more late round prospects to choose from.

Quote:
I'd be interested in assisting in this process going forward and providing continued feedback on what I'm seeing with the tool. So count me in as at least one tester of v2 or any intermediate modifications you'd want to have help testing out!
Thanks, I'll take you up on this offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
I just finished my first draft class using this tool, so I thought I would share.

Round 1 Pick 4
LE Dijon Hollis
81 OVR Super Star Development
Ranked #2 on the board with a 93.96 True Value Rating

He was my targeted first pick and luckily he fell to me at the fourth pick. The top rated player in TVR was LOLB Ray Steitz, but I didn't need anyone at the position. Steitz ended up with a 77 OVR and a Normal Development, so I hit a home run with this pick.

Round 1 Pick 32
RT Charley Cooley
78 OVR Normal Development
Ranked #6 on the board and a 93.10 TVR

The guy I was targeting here was CB Delen Coffee who was projected as an early second round pick, but the Seahawks snagged him at 24 overall. Coffee turns out to be 81 OVR with SS development

Round 2 Pick 4
C Austin Lafleur
73 OVR with Super Star Development
Ranked #20 on the board with an 88.47 TVR

There were a couple RBs available that were ranked higher, but I knew a good ranked RB was going to be available later, so I took the highest rated non RB here. Although he's not ranked high, I am happy with the development trait.

Round 2 Pick 29
QB Tannon Kern
76 OVR with a Normal Development Trait
Ranked #19 on the board with an 88.92 TVR

He had the highest TVR of any QB and was projected as a late 3rd round pick. There was one other QB worth drafting with the same OVR and he went in the first round. His development trait was quick, so he has the edge here. Not bad though for a late 2nd round pick.

Round 3 Pick 28
HB Deandre Enzor
73 OVR and a Quick Development Trait
Ranked 21 on the board with an 88.42 TVR

There were eight RBs in this draft that the scouting tool suggested I draft. Six of them had overall ratings between 75-79 and only one was rated lower than Enzor. Enzor was the only one projected to go after the second round.

Round 5 Pick 28
RG Jarius Peerman
75 OVR and a Normal Development Trait
Ranked 23 on the board with an 88.14 TVR

Highest ranked player left on my draft board.

Round 6 Pick 28
RE Trey Paige-Moss
OVR 72 and a Normal Development Trait
Ranked 34 on the board with an 82.67 TVR

At his point in the draft I only had two players left on my draft board with the other being DT Felix Rudolph. Both of these players were considered risky picks, so I just chose the higher of the two. Rudolph ended up with a 69 OVR and a slow development trait.

Conclusion
This is definitely better than the draft classes I have had in the past, so the tool worked well. It might have been better had I allocated my scouting points more efficiently. I kind of screwed up and only was able to scout about two rounds worth of CBs.

Also, risky picks really are risky. The 6 lowest rated OVR from my board were considered risky picks. The two highest risky picks were rated 78 OVR.

Anyway, thanks a lot for making this tool. It should really help me turn whatever team I use into a dynasty.
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Solid draft class, I'd say that's about par for the course post tuning update. Sometimes you'll find you do better than that, other times you might find you do worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Have a little time on my hands and am really going to take this thing for a test drive. Plan to use save points to scout every pick and run them through this tool. Then maybe adjust some values or formulas here and there just to see what happens. Will report back my findings. Again great tool man. I love this thing.
Awesome, looking forward to hearing your findings. If you could capture the actual OVR against each prospect afterwards (just add a new column) from the draft recap screen that would be awesome (and then send it to me obviously!). The more data I have, the better I'll be able to tweak the criteria in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
So, I take it this only works in newer versions of excel? Or am I doing something wrong?

I have the dropdowns in the position, rounds, draft story columns, but when it comes to ratings, there's no dropdowns. I'm pretty sure there were in the newest version of excel I used at work to check this out on my computer there, but here on my older laptop running Excel 2007, they don't exist. Tried it from Google docs online too, no go there either unfortunately.

Any help would be great.
The only one I can guarantee it works with is Excel 2013 or newer. I'll ask some people to beta test new versions on other spreadsheet applications and older versions of Excel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerjohnson
Any reason you can't have a Throw on Run category for QBs? Does this just not like mobile QBs?
There is one... It's called Throw on the Run I think. Definitely in there.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #74
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Awesome, looking forward to hearing your findings. If you could capture the actual OVR against each prospect afterwards (just add a new column) from the draft recap screen that would be awesome (and then send it to me obviously!). The more data I have, the better I'll be able to tweak the criteria in the future.
Already had that planned . So far I've scouted every prospects top 3 attributes and kept track of every storyline player and what it was about (ie hurt, Heisman, record broke, bad game, etc.). Now I just have to plug in the Combine data, draft, and record Ovr from all players.

*Couble FYI points:

-The Combine data changes some if you make a save point and reload. Most likely because of the variance in the combine data this year even if it's the same actual grade. I learned this the hard way by doing half the prospects and when I reloaded the 2nd time things had changed. So for consistency I am going to do all prospects Combine data on my 3rd sim through.

-Storylines also change when reloading from a save point.

-Storylines can affect Projected Rd, Talent Rd, and also small attribute changes +/-. I'm sure that they affect the Dev Trait to but we will see after I record that data.

-I didn't scout any UD players to save time.

-The way I did it was to create a save point in week 3 of the cfm. Scout as many prospects as possible until I got to the draft. Reload and do that all over again. It took 2 sims to be able to scout all players. I reloaded for a 3rd time because I wanted to get consistency on the storyline players and also be accurate on the Combine data. Once done I will auto draft and then record the Ovr of every scouted player (I will set my player scheme to balanced for every position to keep things, well, balanced lol) and also the Dev Trait to see if there is a correlation with anything else (I do think EA made this much more random this year which I like very much).

-In hindsight I should have just done a cfm where I controlled 3-4 teams and do all the scouting in 1 season to keep things more accurate but what I've done is still pretty damn accurate. Just a suggestion for anyone else who wants to do this.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #75
Rookie

Well I just had my first draft using this tool. Here are some of players I ended up with.

Grabbed him early in the 3rd.

Only a normal dev trait, but he has good enough ratings to push for playing time early.

This draft was really devoid of talent if you go by the TVR. 2 of those guys were rated in the mid 70s according to the TVR.

Though the one WR Tanner, was low 90 and projected to go in the 5th.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #76
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

this may seem odd, but where are the draft stories at this year? Im not seeing any in the news section, am i missing something?

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 10-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #77
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
this may seem odd, but where are the draft stories at this year? Im not seeing any in the news section, am i missing something?
They are in the news section. You won't see anything tell at least Week 3 and then they go on throughout the season and the offseason. In the last sim I did I had 15 storyline players.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #78
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
They are in the news section. You won't see anything tell at least Week 3 and then they go on throughout the season and the offseason. In the last sim I did I had 15 storyline players.
odd , cause we made it to playoffs, and when i checked in week 16, and 17 i didnt see any .is it dif for online leagues?

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #79
Banned

Anyone else having issues with safeties being very undervalued in this tool? Logically it makes sense, as a solid safety can have lots of C-C+ grades and only one or two that might grade higher. Ultimately this leads to their TVR being quite a bit lower than other positions despite being good picks. Add in the fact that they typically have combine scores lower than Cornerbacks and it can be tricky to draft safeties.

I'm not sure exactly what the answer is but there has to be a way to show their value better. Perhaps running through some draft classes and getting a breakdown of a probably overall range based on their TVR? In fact that could be a good thing to do for each position. At what point based on TVR and position does a player become a risky pick? If we can get enough data that could be used as a risk check in the sheet
Old 10-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #80
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
odd , cause we made it to playoffs, and when i checked in week 16, and 17 i didnt see any .is it dif for online leagues?
I just noticed it only shows stories back to week 16, so im guessing you have to keep up with this all year as the year goes on ? If so dang , wish i had saw this sooner. Will it matter as far as ranking these players if none on my list have a storyline? Just curious if i can still use this and it turn out well, or should i wait to use it next season and just go back to my normal for this one?

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »