Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 10-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #81
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
odd , cause we made it to playoffs, and when i checked in week 16, and 17 i didnt see any .is it dif for online leagues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
I just noticed it only shows stories back to week 16, so im guessing you have to keep up with this all year as the year goes on ? If so dang , wish i had saw this sooner. Will it matter as far as ranking these players if none on my list have a storyline? Just curious if i can still use this and it turn out well, or should i wait to use it next season and just go back to my normal for this one?
They only last for a few weeks so yes you have to keep up with it all season long and make notes about who it was about and what the story was. There are good and bad storylines that for sure affect their draft stock. Not by a ton though.

As for waiting tell next year to use the tool no don't worry about that. While the storylines play a part it isn't that huge. Using the tool outweighs not using it by a huge amount.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #82
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Finished the sim. Here are some results and thoughts:

QB - Four players told to Draft. A 78ovr, two 76ovr, and a 72ovr. Everyone else was 72ovr or below and the True Value Rating had them ranked form best to worst. Very accurate results.

HB - One player told to draft. He was 77ovr. One risky pick who was 70 ovr. Every one else was 70 or below and they were almost ranked perfect according to the True Value Rating. Very accurate again.

FB - Just one guy here. Told not to draft. 71ovr.

WR - Two guys told to draft. Both 76ovr. One guy didn't run combine and turned out to be 75ovr. Everyone else was 73 or below. There was a 73ovr and 71ovr player who were the next two in line on the True Value Rating. Again pretty solid stuff here.

TE - Told to draft nobody. One 78ovr, a 76ovr, and three 74ovr. The rest were 70ovr or less. The True Value Rating worked pretty good but two of the 74ovr players were ranked quite low and they were both Blocking TE. Seems the calculations here don't account well for that. There was also a 70ovr Blocking TE ranked low as well.

I have finished but I'm tired so that's it for now. Attached is the excel file with all players inputted, along with actual Ovr and Dev Trait.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 AM   #83
Rookie

Denzalo's Arena

OVR: 0

Scrolled through the thread, but couldn't find my answer. How do I add rows on the CFM Scouting Tool tab? I've been inputting every rookie in my CFM and 300 rows isn't enough. It looks like I'll need about 50 more rows.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #84
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Already had that planned . So far I've scouted every prospects top 3 attributes and kept track of every storyline player and what it was about (ie hurt, Heisman, record broke, bad game, etc.). Now I just have to plug in the Combine data, draft, and record Ovr from all players.

*Couble FYI points:

-The Combine data changes some if you make a save point and reload. Most likely because of the variance in the combine data this year even if it's the same actual grade. I learned this the hard way by doing half the prospects and when I reloaded the 2nd time things had changed. So for consistency I am going to do all prospects Combine data on my 3rd sim through.

-Storylines also change when reloading from a save point.

-Storylines can affect Projected Rd, Talent Rd, and also small attribute changes +/-. I'm sure that they affect the Dev Trait to but we will see after I record that data.

-I didn't scout any UD players to save time.

-The way I did it was to create a save point in week 3 of the cfm. Scout as many prospects as possible until I got to the draft. Reload and do that all over again. It took 2 sims to be able to scout all players. I reloaded for a 3rd time because I wanted to get consistency on the storyline players and also be accurate on the Combine data. Once done I will auto draft and then record the Ovr of every scouted player (I will set my player scheme to balanced for every position to keep things, well, balanced lol) and also the Dev Trait to see if there is a correlation with anything else (I do think EA made this much more random this year which I like very much).

-In hindsight I should have just done a cfm where I controlled 3-4 teams and do all the scouting in 1 season to keep things more accurate but what I've done is still pretty damn accurate. Just a suggestion for anyone else who wants to do this.
That's really interesting that the draft stories changed on reload. From what I've observed, I agree that they definitely affect the dev trait and projected rounds. No idea if they affect OVR. Keep me posted if you find anything definitive that proves this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_O_B_27
Well I just had my first draft using this tool. Here are some of players I ended up with.

Grabbed him early in the 3rd.

Only a normal dev trait, but he has good enough ratings to push for playing time early.

This draft was really devoid of talent if you go by the TVR. 2 of those guys were rated in the mid 70s according to the TVR.

Though the one WR Tanner, was low 90 and projected to go in the 5th.
Not a bad haul, thanks for sharing. Looks like some slightly lower OVRs than you'd usually expect, but at least most of them have good development traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
Anyone else having issues with safeties being very undervalued in this tool? Logically it makes sense, as a solid safety can have lots of C-C+ grades and only one or two that might grade higher. Ultimately this leads to their TVR being quite a bit lower than other positions despite being good picks. Add in the fact that they typically have combine scores lower than Cornerbacks and it can be tricky to draft safeties.

I'm not sure exactly what the answer is but there has to be a way to show their value better. Perhaps running through some draft classes and getting a breakdown of a probably overall range based on their TVR? In fact that could be a good thing to do for each position. At what point based on TVR and position does a player become a risky pick? If we can get enough data that could be used as a risk check in the sheet
Safeties are one of the problem positions with the tool at the moment. They're the one I'm least certain about in terms of predicting the value and risk of the pick. I'm trying out some new criteria for the next version, but I agree, they need a bit of work at the moment. I've run about 15 draft classes through the tool now and made the weightings for each position as fair as I can against each other, but maybe the safety position needs a slight bump. I have had classes where a safety was in the top 3 on the board in TVR though, so it can happen currently.

Quote:
Finished the sim. Here are some results and thoughts:

QB - Four players told to Draft. A 78ovr, two 76ovr, and a 72ovr. Everyone else was 72ovr or below and the True Value Rating had them ranked form best to worst. Very accurate results.

HB - One player told to draft. He was 77ovr. One risky pick who was 70 ovr. Every one else was 70 or below and they were almost ranked perfect according to the True Value Rating. Very accurate again.

FB - Just one guy here. Told not to draft. 71ovr.

WR - Two guys told to draft. Both 76ovr. One guy didn't run combine and turned out to be 75ovr. Everyone else was 73 or below. There was a 73ovr and 71ovr player who were the next two in line on the True Value Rating. Again pretty solid stuff here.

TE - Told to draft nobody. One 78ovr, a 76ovr, and three 74ovr. The rest were 70ovr or less. The True Value Rating worked pretty good but two of the 74ovr players were ranked quite low and they were both Blocking TE. Seems the calculations here don't account well for that. There was also a 70ovr Blocking TE ranked low as well.

I have finished but I'm tired so that's it for now. Attached is the excel file with all players inputted, along with actual Ovr and Dev Trait.
Awesome stuff, thanks mate. I'll take a look at the spreadsheet. Agree that TE needs to be addressed for the post-tuning classes, the criteria are a little too harsh now. I'm going to bump up the 40 time requirement and the 3 cone+shuttle requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzalo
Scrolled through the thread, but couldn't find my answer. How do I add rows on the CFM Scouting Tool tab? I've been inputting every rookie in my CFM and 300 rows isn't enough. It looks like I'll need about 50 more rows.

Thanks!
Wow, 300 rows isn't enough? LOL. I'll have to add some more for the next version I'm afraid as there are some formulae that need to be re-written to include a larger range beyond row 301. I'm afraid you won't be able to at the moment, sorry.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #85
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

@TDawg, any chance you could upload that file in a zip rather than a rar? I can't open rars without downloading a new tool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #86
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
@TDawg, any chance you could upload that file in a zip rather than a rar? I can't open rars without downloading a new tool.
Here ya go bud.

Just wanted to add that I spent about 2 hours going through all your formulas last night to really figure how you went about creating this and god damn bro, you killed it. It was insanely complex and you accounted for almost everything you could. I went about try a few things I've done in the past and damn if you hadn't already implemented it lol.

Also I did experiment with lowering some of the requirements for positions and most were pretty easy fixes. But some were a pain in the *** no joke.

I think the hardest part is coming up with a value (ie True Value Rating) that really covers all positions evenly so you can compare that QB to the CB, etc. I did like lbj273 idea of doing multiple drafts and focusing on one position, recording the data, and seeing where Ovr compares to True Value Ratings. After doing that with all positions (and I know this would take a **** load of work because I'd think we'd need at least 5 sims per position, granted we could do multiple positions per sim but I'd much rather focus on one at a time) we could create a table for each position and then use that as the ultimate compare Rating. Just some thoughts.

Last edited by tdawg3782; 10-09-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #87
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Here ya go bud.

Just wanted to add that I spent about 2 hours going through all your formulas last night to really figure how you went about creating this and god damn bro, you killed it. It was insanely complex and you accounted for almost everything you could. I went about try a few things I've done in the past and damn if you hadn't already implemented it lol.

Also I did experiment with lowering some of the requirements for positions and most were pretty easy fixes. But some were a pain in the *** no joke.

I think the hardest part is coming up with a value (ie True Value Rating) that really covers all positions evenly so you can compare that QB to the CB, etc. I did like lbj273 idea of doing multiple drafts and focusing on one position, recording the data, and seeing where Ovr compares to True Value Ratings. After doing that with all positions (and I know this would take a **** load of work because I'd think we'd need at least 5 sims per position, granted we could do multiple positions per sim but I'd much rather focus on one at a time) we could create a table for each position and then use that as the ultimate compare Rating. Just some thoughts.
Nice one, I'll take a look. Yeah, it's quite a complex spreadsheet to put it mildly... Some of the columns are totally redundant at the moment and were the start of vague notions I had about things like predicting bandings for the player's in game OVR and a few other things I had in the pipeline before i decided to stick with what I had and actually release the thing.

I did run about 10 drafts in the manner you suggest, but about 7 of those were pre-tuning update. I did my best to normalise the true OVR across each position to make it as fair as possible, but obviously there is always room for improvement. The more data we have available the better we can make the check criteria and the more accurate we can make the true OVR.

I was finding about a .75 correlation between true OVR and in game OVR post-draft which I was quite happy with, but this correlation has got a bit worse post tuning update I think. Not checked, but I reckon it's probably down to about a 0.7.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #88
Rookie

Denzalo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Wow, 300 rows isn't enough? LOL. I'll have to add some more for the next version I'm afraid as there are some formulae that need to be re-written to include a larger range beyond row 301. I'm afraid you won't be able to at the moment, sorry.
In my CFM we have about 360 players in the rookie draft and I was entering all of them into the spreadsheet

So, am I doing it wrong by putting in every single player? Should I just be entering the players I scout?

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »