Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #113
Rookie

darren1024's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mmycr4ckc0rn
Download the file to your computer and then upload it to Drive (Google Sheets) then open on your iPad.
I have it on my cpu but when i go to open/save it, it keeps bringing me back to the open/save pop up box. I unzipped the file, then "extract all". Same thing happens.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #114
Rookie

Denzalo's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I do kind of wish data entry was a bit easier, the drop down's make it a bit cumbersome to work with, but as someone who has worked with and created some spreadsheets, I know why it was done that way.

If I may, a couple quick suggestions, maybe rather than using full names of attributes, use their abbreviated codes used in the game, and provide a chart/spot on the main data entry screen as a quick reference. Secondly, for the projected rounds, and talent rounds, rather than "1 - Early, 1 - Mid, and 1- Late", simplify that to "1E, 1M, 1L, 2E, 2M, 2L". What this would do, is make it easier to allow data entry still by the dropdowns to "lock" the possible entries into the cell, but it makes for quicker for data entry from the user since you can simply type 1E into the cell, and 2L into the next if those are your values. I imagine at this stage though in the development of this, that's probably an awful lot of work, but ultimately it would save the users a lot of time with respect to data entry. I find myself typing (especially since excel will eventually start to auto-fill as you type) into the cells rather than using the drop downs. Again, just a suggestion.

I don't mind the data entry, once I've got a few rows I usually just type a couple characters and then hit tab as it auto fills the rest if it is something I have typed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #115
Rookie

darren1024's Arena

OVR: 4

IMG_0716.PNG

Im getting closer lol what am i doing wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2016, 03:11 AM   #116
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
This is a really cool tool. Thanks for all of the work, and time that you've put into this. I can't even imagine how much time you've put into this.

I do kind of wish data entry was a bit easier, the drop down's make it a bit cumbersome to work with, but as someone who has worked with and created some spreadsheets, I know why it was done that way.

If I may, a couple quick suggestions, maybe rather than using full names of attributes, use their abbreviated codes used in the game, and provide a chart/spot on the main data entry screen as a quick reference. Secondly, for the projected rounds, and talent rounds, rather than "1 - Early, 1 - Mid, and 1- Late", simplify that to "1E, 1M, 1L, 2E, 2M, 2L". What this would do, is make it easier to allow data entry still by the dropdowns to "lock" the possible entries into the cell, but it makes for quicker for data entry from the user since you can simply type 1E into the cell, and 2L into the next if those are your values. I imagine at this stage though in the development of this, that's probably an awful lot of work, but ultimately it would save the users a lot of time with respect to data entry. I find myself typing (especially since excel will eventually start to auto-fill as you type) into the cells rather than using the drop downs. Again, just a suggestion.

One question here too... I'm only reaching the playoffs in my franchise using this tool. Maybe I've got an awful draft class I'm working with, but I've got a lot of "do not draft" players presently. Will entering combine values bump them up to draftable status? Or is it pretty much once they go "do not draft" don't even waste your time inputting the combine stats?
Yeah I'm going to do that for a future version to make data entry easier, but it will involve quite a lot of rework so there's other things I'm prioritising above that at the moment. As another commenter said though, once you've done a few rows Excel starts giving you type ahead, which makes things a lot easier.

You won't turn a red players green by entering combine stats, but I'd still say it's worth plugging in the combine stats for anyone you've fully scouted (i.e. unlocked all three skills). Sometimes the tool will tell you not to draft someone, but if their TVR is very high they're usually still worth a punt. You own't know their proper TVR unless you put in combine stats.

Generally, before you plug in the combine stats you'll have very few green players as most positions have at least one criterion that relies on the combine info being entered. The only positions that don't are QB, MLB, FB, K and P. But even with these positions you should still enter combine stats so that the TVR is accurate compared to players at other positions.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #117
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Yeah I'm going to do that for a future version to make data entry easier, but it will involve quite a lot of rework so there's other things I'm prioritising above that at the moment. As another commenter said though, once you've done a few rows Excel starts giving you type ahead, which makes things a lot easier.

You won't turn a red players green by entering combine stats, but I'd still say it's worth plugging in the combine stats for anyone you've fully scouted (i.e. unlocked all three skills). Sometimes the tool will tell you not to draft someone, but if their TVR is very high they're usually still worth a punt. You own't know their proper TVR unless you put in combine stats.

Generally, before you plug in the combine stats you'll have very few green players as most positions have at least one criterion that relies on the combine info being entered. The only positions that don't are QB, MLB, FB, K and P. But even with these positions you should still enter combine stats so that the TVR is accurate compared to players at other positions.

Again, awesome work man! It's your tool, do what you got to do and have time to do. I was just offering feedback. I do type most of it. I'm often scouting heavily for my top 4 or so positions of need, so by the time you've done a couple players at that position the attributes are easy to fill in by typing. It's the projected rounds that are a bit cumbersome.

If I change around the scouting criteria and such on the other tabs in the sheet, for example I think you have QB accuracy at a min of A-, if I changed that to a B for example, would the tool automatically change it's calculations to put a higher value on a QB with accuracy of B and up then? I assume that's what it's doing, but is that the correct assumption?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #118
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Again, awesome work man! It's your tool, do what you got to do and have time to do. I was just offering feedback. I do type most of it. I'm often scouting heavily for my top 4 or so positions of need, so by the time you've done a couple players at that position the attributes are easy to fill in by typing. It's the projected rounds that are a bit cumbersome.

If I change around the scouting criteria and such on the other tabs in the sheet, for example I think you have QB accuracy at a min of A-, if I changed that to a B for example, would the tool automatically change it's calculations to put a higher value on a QB with accuracy of B and up then? I assume that's what it's doing, but is that the correct assumption?
Yes it would. You can tweak the criteria in the scouting requirements tab, but you can only change existing criteria, not add new ones.

I'll change the round stuff as you suggested - that's only a quick change, whereas using abbreviations for the skills/traits is a bit more involved unfortunately.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #119
Rookie

Denzalo's Arena

This is only partially related to the tool, but more about the scouting method the tool uses.

I just joined an online franchise that's currently in week 14, so I can start scouting in week 15. Given that very short time frame, do you think I should throw out the standard order of QB, OL, S, LB, DE and instead start with my highest positions of need (which I believe will be OL and DE after a cursory look at the roster last night).

Any other tips for someone who will have a very short scouting period? I guess the strategy would be either to scout the first grade for a bunch of people or discover all 3 grades for a select few (as long as the tool says to keep going with that person).

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #120
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Yes it would. You can tweak the criteria in the scouting requirements tab, but you can only change existing criteria, not add new ones.

I'll change the round stuff as you suggested - that's only a quick change, whereas using abbreviations for the skills/traits is a bit more involved unfortunately.

Re: the first part. I can't even describe how awesome that is! This makes scouting a lot more work, and in depth, but so much more rewarding and life like. We can now actually grade players, rank players and essentially work our own "war room" come draft time. Fantastic work.

As for the changes, again, that's awesome on the draft rounds. Player skills aren't a major issue. We all know what they are by name, probably more so than their abbreviation anyways. I hope it didn't come across as anything more than a suggestion though. Really appreciate your work and efforts on this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »