Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #449
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Sorry for the long post, but here is some feedback and plus I like to ramble on. Also sorry I didn’t save off the results, I thought I did but I guess not and I cleared my board. I only had my own teams OVR anyway on it. Next time I will upload with everyone’s OVRs (even the CPU drafted ones).

I used the new version copied it over from V2 and had another successful draft. I like the extra options for picks, especially cause I'm gonna be doing an online one with other people at some point. Great stuff with the graphs and all that too. Can't thank you enough man.

One minor thing I noticed, is that for a RT in particular (maybe all tackles work this way) is that a guy had 29 bench reps and it said potential red chip but no matter what his letter grades were it still said "risky pick" after fully filled out. I tried testing putting all B+ for skills just to see what came out and it still said "Risky".

So even though it says potential red chip, I guess my point is that if the best he can become is "risky" I probably want to avoid scouting them. Of course lineman skills I should normally already have scouted before the combine, but this was a case where version 2 said don't draft but version 3 had him as potential red chip so I scouted him further post combine.

Risky picks I think I really am only going to keep on my board in specific scenarios now that we have red chips. Namely where everything looks good but one of the key attributes is not a top 3 one. For me these are kind of “boom or bust” scenarios to an extent, whereas other “Risky pick” scenarios seem either “red chip or risky”. Typically this would be in a position switch scenario like the one below.

I had one guy who was OLB with B+ Hit Power, B Pursuit, B Block Shedding, as OLB he was “blue chip” but I was scouting him to convert to MLB (I run a 3-4 and want edge rushers in that spot) and tackling was NOT one of the top skills. So he was risky as an MLB convert, but I knew if his tackling did come in at B (or even B-) he was going to be quite good (he had low 4.5 range speed, a positive draft story, and other good combine stats too).

However, I have now decided that all potential position switches I will wait until after the combine to scout because I am running out of points and find myself having to partially skip a position group or 2. I have been very successful with my main 2 picks I did this with though (The WR to TE from last year and this year a DE that weighed 320 that ended up with 92 strength to DT). So it's certainly not something I want to stop doing, but at the same time I need to be mindful of my scouting points and not get too trigger happy on scouting those before the combine.

Now on to the class, the class seemed a bit poor compared to the previous class but I still got very solid picks overall got "excellent pick" or "good pick" feedback on all of them. I was targeting guys twice, once the guy I wanted went RIGHT before me and the other time a few spots, so I traded back for higher picks in next years draft because all that was left were guys I knew I could get later.

1. 79 RB (QUICK Blue Chip)
1. 76 FS (NORMAL Blue Chip)
2. 76 LT (QUICK Blue Chip)
5. 73 C (STAR Red Chip)
6. 78 DT (NORMAL Blue Chip as DT, Do Not Draft as DE - high strength and 300+ pound size)
6. 73 LG (NORMAL Red chip)
6. 72 RG (NORMAL Red chip)
7. 71 WR (tried to trade but had too many future picks I guess, SIM’d the pick not on my board)
7. 66 HB (same here, I just cut him not on my board)

But my biggest coup was this OLB who went like 3rd overall and was second highest rated player according to the draft board. I was debating on whether to trade up but there were other fall backs at #14 (I really needed an RB and he was #3 OVR on the board and got him) obviously so I stood pat but then traded post draft for him, having stock piling future picks also helps get these dudes post draft.

This dude is a freak, he was 81 with STAR dev out of the gate at 21 years old with super low awareness and play recognition. He's already up to 86 in week 3 after pumping his AWR and PR to low 70s levels (CPU must have trained him week 1 because he had like 1500 XP when I made the trade and I used training on him as well. I think he had a monster preseason or something too because he had like 7000 XP to spend week 1).

I got a few other players this way via trades post draft as well, namely a CB who won the Heisman from the 1st draft who has STAR dev and is 87 OVR. Now my team is almost entirely free agents and draftees from the 1st 2 draft classes now in year 3. Still need a #3 WR, another OLB pash rusher (Lynch didn’t want to re-sign with me), an MLB to replace Bowman, and a DE (I am happy with DeForrest Buckner but looking to replace Armstead). I am hoping to push for a playoff spot this year, but certainly by next season I will be expecting playoffs. And with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds this upcoming season former player owner “Joe Montana” is looking pretty good!

Last edited by burth179; 11-03-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #450
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM - Version 3 Out Now!

Thanks Burth. I'll investigate the RT thing. Sounds like a bug.

Yeah with the advent of red chips, I wouldn't advise drafting risky players at all any more. In my big analysis sheet with about 2.5k players, you can count the risky players who turn out to be over about 73 OVR on one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #451
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
One thing I've noticed is with the tuned draft classes they really toned down Awr and Play Rec. For defense those two are huge modifiers on Ovr and for offense Awr affects Ovr a lot especially with QB and OL. There is no real way to know what those ratings are before hand. So don't get to caught up in the original Ovr. I drafted a defensive player who was 71 Ovr and he had a high TVR. But his Awr and Play Rec were garbage. It took a season but I was able to get both up to 70 and now he is 80 Ovr. Those are cheap upgrades too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yup, tdawg is right as usual. PRC and AWR seems to be the main way draft classes have been nerfed since the tuning updates. The other way is fewer blatantly obvious slam dunk picks, which means the tool becomes more useful as it's harder to 'eyeball' who will obviously be a good player.

I too hold very little store by original OVR to be honest. It's the same reason in my own personal use of the tool I give a mega TVR boost to younger guys, as I'm planning for 3-4 years time, not expecting guys to own the league in their rookie year. Being 21 years old is much more valuable than superstar dev and worth at least 5 OVR points in my opinion, if you think about the fact that a 70 OVR 21 year old could easily be a 85 OVR by the time he's 23.

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #452
Rookie

I was looking at the OVR calculations, I'm wondering if I should set my schemes to LT Pass Block, Balanced G and C, RT Run Block.

Then for tackles grade players who have Run Block as highest attribute as a RT, and Pass Block as highest attribute as LT (no matter what the listed position says).

I mean if you play games it probably doesn't matter, but for simulations I think it could make a difference. I think I'm going to try it out that way.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #453
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
A 76 blue chip and a 70/71 OVR red chip are kind of what you should expect. What TVR did the QB have? He might have been number 3 because you had a weak class generally. But then again, there is a definite element of randomness in the draft classes. I've seen cases where dudes at the same position with all the same scouted skills, projected/talent round and almost identical combine stats come out 8 OVR apart, and even cases where a guy with worse skills and measurables came out better. But TBH, despite the fact I've made it my mission to turn scouting and drafting into a more exact science with this tool, I quite like that there's built in randomness and an element of chance/luck. Makes it more realistic.

If you can record OVRs and upload your sheet that would be great. The only thing in your post that concerns me is the 68 OLB you got. He shouldn't have slipped through as a red chip, though as I said, the red chip criteria need some maturation.

Don't be too disheartened, I bet you still massively out drafted every other team in the league!

Here you are OMN. hopefully i did this correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Madden5.xlsx.zip (2.45 MB, 12 views)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #454
Rookie

Quote:
Yup, tdawg is right as usual. PRC and AWR seems to be the main way draft classes have been nerfed since the tuning updates. The other way is fewer blatantly obvious slam dunk picks, which means the tool becomes more useful as it's harder to 'eyeball' who will obviously be a good player.

I too hold very little store by original OVR to be honest. It's the same reason in my own personal use of the tool I give a mega TVR boost to younger guys, as I'm planning for 3-4 years time, not expecting guys to own the league in their rookie year. Being 21 years old is much more valuable than superstar dev and worth at least 5 OVR points in my opinion, if you think about the fact that a 70 OVR 21 year old could easily be a 85 OVR by the time he's 23.

i just realized that with the QB i drafted. he is a 76 as a rookie and his stats are better than all the QBs i have except one but all their AWR ratings are like 20 points higher. if i get that rating to the 90s, his OVR will probably be that high. He is one of those weird QBs who are rated as pocket passers but has high speed and throw on the run ability. I run a strong armed QB vertical scheme so he is ok with a 92 arm strength
Old 11-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #455
Rookie

Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM - Version 3 Out Now!

Quote:
Thanks Burth. I'll investigate the RT thing. Sounds like a bug.

Yeah with the advent of red chips, I wouldn't advise drafting risky players at all any more. In my big analysis sheet with about 2.5k players, you can count the risky players who turn out to be over about 73 OVR on one hand.

I think I found the problem, it was on my end I'm almost sure

Either I didn't have all of the combine stats entered, or they weren't good enough to warrant red chip... I entered a beast otherwise physically (for that position) but with 29 reps and he was now showing red chip
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #456
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite76
Here you are OMN. hopefully i did this correctly.
Oh and the HB Bright who is on my sheet is a 77. He is the guy i missed on but traded for. hopefully Michael Turner 2.0

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »