Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #65
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1024
Windows 8 & not sure what version of Excel im using. Why cant I open with an ipad?
It's an excel file. Opening with other programs other then Excel always causes issues when big formulas are involved protected or not. I would imagine the Ipad doesn't have Excel and is trying to open with another program. While this would most likely be fine with a standard spreadsheet file it won't mesh well with a massive function file. I know from experience with files I've created.

As far as your windows 8 it is most likely you excel version. You should be running at least the 2007 version if not 2010+. Anything under that will have issues because there was a huge increase in functionality between the 2003 version and the 2007 version. This program was written with the 2013 version so that is a big reason why there may be issues with earlier versions. I can attest that it works perfect on mine which is the 2010 version.

Also pointed out by Old Man Nathy trying to get things to still be able to sort while keeping things protected is a huge pain in the ***. But it does work perfectly as advertised with Excel 2010+.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #66
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Which version on Windows and, more specifically, Excel are you using?

Thanks for the feedback! Totally agree, this is one of my bug bears with the tool currently too. My original logic was that people might not put the skills in order so the tool shouldn't assume the grade for skill 1 is always the highest or equal highest for a prospect, but I think on reflection this was the wrong way to do it.

This change is top of my to-do list for v2.

I'm toying with the idea of making the draft status less black and white, and maybe give a risk rating out of 5 (or 10) based on percentage of checking criteria passed or failed. Does this sound like something people would prefer?
This would be fantastic.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #67
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechman89
Absolutely, I'm happy to help provide feedback for this tool. Glad that this same issue is on your to-do list.

I will mention that I tried modifying the unprotected version of the spreadsheet to include Skill Requirments for the G-Column "Must have at least one", but it didn't seem to work the way I was hoping/expecting. I added a B for the MLB, but it did not change the MLB in my example to a Do not draft status. I'm wondering if the current logic looks at the Tackling req. of B and the Block Shedding req. of B- (going from memory on that one, might be a different skill) and says if one of them is met, then it won't necessarily rule them out as a Do not draft. And only once both skill req. are not met does the Draft Status switch to Do not draft. Any feedback on that one?

This is odd to me, as I read the skill requirements as an all-or-nothing requirement, as opposed to an at-least-one-of-these requirement. Am I correct here? For instance, I think QBs need an A- in Throw Power, and Bs in TA Short, Mid, and Deep to be considered draftable, correct?

For the throwing power it has to be at least an A- but for the other 3 it is at least one needs to be a B.

Also, after scouting all the MLBs, there was not a single one who garnered a Draft Status of DRAFT...is this what you've been seeing in general? Maybe it was a particularly weak MLB class. It seemed that there were a number of very nice prospects, who happened to have a B- in tackling. Perhaps that skill requirement is a bit too "harsh". I had similar results with TEs and DTs; not a single one garnered a DRAFT status. For TEs, it was the 3-cone and Shuttle combined time requirement; for DTs, it was their Strength (Bench Rep) requirement that made the majority of them Do not draft simply from those traits alone. Possibly something to tinker with for v2.

This is because it is trying to get players that are 74+ ovr. This eliminates a huge amount of guys right off the bat. This is why so many get knocked off so quickly.

As for you toying with the idea of making the draft status less black and white, this is absolutely something that would take this tool to the "next level" in my opinion. Once I had scouted the majority of available players, I had a total of ~26-30 DRAFT-able players (I did run out of Scouting Points, did too much scouting of projected Undrafted players early on...), which I don't think is enough. The majority of them were projected 1st round talents, so many were gone after Round 1. If we had a tiered Draft Status system that wasn't either Draft or Do not draft, our draft boards would have a lot more options.
My suggestion here would be to have the Draft Status to output something similar to the following:

Tier 1 - Draft, and don't think twice (Highest graded players, perhaps those above a 90-something True Value Rating)
Tier 2 - Draft, should be quite good (Next grouping of players, perhaps lower 90s TVR, into high 80s)
Tier 3 - Draft, but lacks in something (Good players, one of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, TVR a bit lower in 80s)
Tier 4 - Draftable, but probably not a star (Solid players, not elite in any categories, one or more of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, probably contains more players than Tier 1, 2, and/or 3 combined)
Tier 5 - Draftable, but low end of spectrum (Risky player with some nice traits but others are just below Skill Requirement thresholds)
Tier 6 - Risky, buyer beware (Risky player with fewer nice traits, probably not draftable)
Tier 7 - Do not draft (Does not meet more than one Skill Requirement or Combine requirement, stay away)

I think some combination of this kind of Tier system with the risk rating based on a percentage of checking criteria passed or failed would help to make this the ultimate scouting tool for Madden CFM. What are your thoughts on a Tier system and how feasible it would be to implement, Old Man Nathy?

This right here. I know from excel coding in the past that making this happen would be quite a bit of work but this would be really solid. Even if it was just a 5 tier system.

I'd be interested in assisting in this process going forward and providing continued feedback on what I'm seeing with the tool. So count me in as at least one tester of v2 or any intermediate modifications you'd want to have help testing out!
Replys in bold above.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Replys in bold above.
Ahh, OK tdawg3782, that makes more sense to me now; not an all-or-nothing criterion which is why I wasn't seeing that MLB example change to a Do not draft; it's actually nice that he is labeled a Risky pick since he only meets one of those checks.

Yeah, I figured this was probably the case since the tool is very selective combined with a weak draft class in MLB, TE, and DT contributed to my board not having any DRAFT-able prospects at those positions.

This is one of the reasons a less black-or-white system would be a nice modification. Even if it was a simplified version with fewer tiers, I think it would greatly add to the functionality of the scouting tool.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #69
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Have a little time on my hands and am really going to take this thing for a test drive. Plan to use save points to scout every pick and run them through this tool. Then maybe adjust some values or formulas here and there just to see what happens. Will report back my findings. Again great tool man. I love this thing.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #70
Rookie

Great tool. I did not find this until the end of the season. It still worked great for me. I ended up with 2 superstars and 1 quick. I did however stick strictly to drafting what was available on the draft board and in its ranked order. im looking forward to using it from the beginning of the season.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #71
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

So, I take it this only works in newer versions of excel? Or am I doing something wrong?

I have the dropdowns in the position, rounds, draft story columns, but when it comes to ratings, there's no dropdowns. I'm pretty sure there were in the newest version of excel I used at work to check this out on my computer there, but here on my older laptop running Excel 2007, they don't exist. Tried it from Google docs online too, no go there either unfortunately.

Any help would be great.

EDIT: Upgrading to Excel 2013 solved my problem.

Last edited by brandon27; 10-08-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #72
Just started!

Any reason you can't have a Throw on Run category for QBs? Does this just not like mobile QBs?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »