Home

Having Trouble Running

This is a discussion on Having Trouble Running within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
Having Trouble Running

I am having trouble establishing the run. Do you think setting the special move/assist to auto would help for now till i get the hang of it?

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Having Trouble Running

Before the latest patch I was able to run the ball somewhat averaging 3 to 3.5 yards a carry but since the patch came out I struggle to do much. Mind you I have never been great at running the ball but after the patch getting a 2-3 yard run itself is a struggle.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Same here. I feel like the blockers dont hold their blocks long at all and whiff a lot or run right past the guy
Old 10-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

The first question I would ask, do you press the sprint button (R2 for PS4, RT for XBOne) when you get the ball or when passing by your blockers? What I have found is if you press it before you get into open space the sprint button initiates them to disengage their blocks immediately and make a direct b-line to the ball carrier.

The best way I have found to run the ball is to only use the left stick at the beginning of the play. Let your blocks develop and then follow said blocks until you get into the open. I don't use the auto-moves so I've noticed the only time you should ever hit sprint is if you are in the open and have passed your blockers, or if you have a speed back to try to beat a defender to the outside only if there are no other defenders around and your blocks have already developed (this is a last ditch effort as otherwise you would get tackled behind the LOS.

With the special moves, it depends of the type of back you are using, I find if I have a power back and someone is coming straight at me, I sprint and a second before contact I initiate a truck move, if a defender is coming from the side I initiate a stiff arm a second before contact. With an elusive back with decent juke or spin, if I have a guy coming straight at me I use the precision modifier (L2 or LT) and juke to the side that I have the most space to move about 1 5 seconds before contact, if the defender is coming from the side I will use the precision modifier and will spin about a second before contact. You always have the stop juke as well (back on the right stick) and that is good for if someone is coming at you from and angle and you have no defenders behind you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Old 10-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
The first question I would ask, do you press the sprint button (R2 for PS4, RT for XBOne) when you get the ball or when passing by your blockers? What I have found is if you press it before you get into open space the sprint button initiates them to disengage their blocks immediately and make a direct b-line to the ball carrier.

The best way I have found to run the ball is to only use the left stick at the beginning of the play. Let your blocks develop and then follow said blocks until you get into the open. I don't use the auto-moves so I've noticed the only time you should ever hit sprint is if you are in the open and have passed your blockers, or if you have a speed back to try to beat a defender to the outside only if there are no other defenders around and your blocks have already developed (this is a last ditch effort as otherwise you would get tackled behind the LOS.

With the special moves, it depends of the type of back you are using, I find if I have a power back and someone is coming straight at me, I sprint and a second before contact I initiate a truck move, if a defender is coming from the side I initiate a stiff arm a second before contact. With an elusive back with decent juke or spin, if I have a guy coming straight at me I use the precision modifier (L2 or LT) and juke to the side that I have the most space to move about 1 5 seconds before contact, if the defender is coming from the side I will use the precision modifier and will spin about a second before contact. You always have the stop juke as well (back on the right stick) and that is good for if someone is coming at you from and angle and you have no defenders behind you.

I don't hold the R2/sprint button but I do hold the R1 button so as not to fumble the ball. Should I not hold R1 and only use the left stick as I assumed protecting the ball by holding R1 would actually be rewarded by the game, not penalized.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

I only hold the R1 button as I am getting hit or when trying to change direction quickly only using the left stick (which is not as effective as it used to be) but I then quickly release the R1 button. It is only to cover the ball and as in real life covering the ball takes away the ability to have more freedom to do other things.

I would also recommend using the hat count (red and green highlight before running the ball) religiously. Outside runs are also still pretty effective as well as long as you can learn to follow your blocks and don't try to do too much until you get into open space. I generally get about 90 to 150 yards a game using these techniques depending on the back I am using and the defense I am playing.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
I only hold the R1 button as I am getting hit or when trying to change direction quickly only using the left stick (which is not as effective as it used to be) but I then quickly release the R1 button. It is only to cover the ball and as in real life covering the ball takes away the ability to have more freedom to do other things.

I would also recommend using the hat count (red and green highlight before running the ball) religiously. Outside runs are also still pretty effective as well as long as you can learn to follow your blocks and don't try to do too much until you get into open space. I generally get about 90 to 150 yards a game using these techniques depending on the back I am using and the defense I am playing.

I use the hat count and decide on the run (along with inside or outside) based on it. The outside/stretch runs used to work for me a bit before the patch but after the latest patch I get the DE or OLB get block shed and hit my HB in the backfield more often than not.

One thing you mention is that you only press R1 when you are about to get hit but I keep it pressed throughout as I wanted to protect the ball as much as possible. Maybe that's my issue and maybe i need to use R1 selectively instead of holding it throughout.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
MVP

underdog13's Arena

And make sure to make use of the get skinny feature which is tapping R1 when trying to get between tackles. Turns 1-2 yard runs into 3-4

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »