Home

Whats your defensive scheme?

This is a discussion on Whats your defensive scheme? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
Whats your defensive scheme?

Ive had a ton of success with 3-4 but got bored and I've been trying to run a 4-3 under base recently with little success. I really wanna try to replicate the seahawks defense but having trouble doing it so far. My personnel is good, I just need some setups I guess. The LEO in the 4-3 under is failing to ever pressure the passer for me. I have a beast there in Mack.... Any ideas? What scheme do you run on defense and how do you run it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Whats your defensive scheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
Ive had a ton of success with 3-4 but got bored and I've been trying to run a 4-3 under base recently with little success. I really wanna try to replicate the seahawks defense but having trouble doing it so far. My personnel is good, I just need some setups I guess. The LEO in the 4-3 under is failing to ever pressure the passer for me. I have a beast there in Mack.... Any ideas? What scheme do you run on defense and how do you run it?

I'm a 4-3 guy. Always have been. I actually prefer the 3-4 theoretically but the way Madden has always worked I thought having 4 men engage quicker was more beneficial with their engagement system. IBut with the raiders personnel and formation Subs having issues I decided to go 3-4 and it's worked pretty well. I run a lot of cover 3 but mix in different looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 10-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Rookie

zacification1's Arena

OVR: 0

I would always run a hybrid defense. The grit of a 3-4 and athleticism of a 4-3 are both too appealing, so why not best of both worlds?

I usually try go get a star LB who would be a beast in both (Luke Kuechly, Sean Lee, Jamie Collins, etc.) to play three downs, and decent 4-3 OLBs with athleticism, and a hard hitter to play in 3-4. I'll move the rush LBs to 4-3 End and 3-4 DEs to play DTs, while having a big designated NT to clog up 2 blockers.

It's a lot of subbing but auto subs make it so much easier, and the personnel are usually fresh, so they aren't playing gassed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

New England Patriots
Boston College Eagles
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm the complete opposite, I've always played with The Bears, who have used a 4-3 my entire life until last year. This is the first year I bought the game since they made the switch and I tried it out with a 3-4 and I never got comfortable, I'm still not sure why I have an OLB that is a pass rusher dropping in pass coverage so often. I restarted my franchise after moving the DEs to DT and the OLBs to DE and I had the #1 defense in the league in my CFM with a very talent depleted roster. I run a pretty vanilla defense, almost always in zone, almost always in some form of cover 3 on first down and short yardage downs, 3rd and long I run cover 2 sink or cover 4. Very rarely blitz or play man.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

A very aggressive Hybrid. The front 7 alignment is varied although I base primarily out of a 3-4. I tried to merge Seattle's LOB with Rex's blitzing ideas. The results are mixed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Rookie

I live out of the 4-3, but I end up hybriding into a 3-3-5 as well. Rotating between two nasty DTs (since I typically have 2 capable starters at the position) to plug up the middle and let my LBs roam in pass coverage or swarm to the running back.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Rookie

How do you get a hybrid scheme really working?

Tried with Oakland several seasons without much success. Had Mack as OLB in 3-4 and DE in 4-3, but never managed more than 2-3 sacks per season. My weak DE (normally only in 3-4 on the field) managed 10+ sacks every season. Then switched to a normal 3-4 and suddenly Mack got 15+ sacks each season and No. 1 defense overall with the same personnel.

Maybe formation subs do not work in simmed games?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

4-3 just like in real life. 3-4 can be very effective with them correct players, but it takes a certain type. In Madden for me I couldn't find balance between pass rush and pass defense. Seemed like I had to bring 5 all the time to get pressure. Sometimes very effective. But sometimes very much not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »