Home

Running Options

This is a discussion on Running Options within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
Rookie

wutthedeuce's Arena

OVR: 0
Running Options

So I picked up Madden 17 a few days ago and have started a franchise. One thing I noticed so far was that option plays, in my experience, are really bad in this game.

The last Madden game I played/owned was 15. I have always used a run-heavy, option style offense and have always drafted according to the play style. Mobile QB, decent to great running back/fullback, and a good back up running back.

One major thing I noticed is that the QB is SLOW until you get past the LOS even with a mobile QB (I drafted Tyrod Taylor). As previously stated I have always made teams tailored to this play style but am struggling to get anything going outside of the initial hand off to the main running back. I've ran these plays 100s of times so I know what to look for when reading the defenders, but even when you make the right reads keepers and pitches just don't work well.

Pitching imo is not very good. Like once you take the hit, you cannot pitch it during the contact. I know in 15 you could still pitch as long as you did it right as you were hit. This doesn't seem to work in 17.

Am I missing something here? I'm confused as to why nothing is working well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Running Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthedeuce
So I picked up Madden 17 a few days ago and have started a franchise. One thing I noticed so far was that option plays, in my experience, are really bad in this game.

The last Madden game I played/owned was 15. I have always used a run-heavy, option style offense and have always drafted according to the play style. Mobile QB, decent to great running back/fullback, and a good back up running back.

One major thing I noticed is that the QB is SLOW until you get past the LOS even with a mobile QB (I drafted Tyrod Taylor). As previously stated I have always made teams tailored to this play style but am struggling to get anything going outside of the initial hand off to the main running back. I've ran these plays 100s of times so I know what to look for when reading the defenders, but even when you make the right reads keepers and pitches just don't work well.

Pitching imo is not very good. Like once you take the hit, you cannot pitch it during the contact. I know in 15 you could still pitch as long as you did it right as you were hit. This doesn't seem to work in 17.

Am I missing something here? I'm confused as to why nothing is working well.
You are not missing anything. I think they are "broken" on purpose. From bad blocking to bad movements by the pitch man doing 360 spins to receive the pitch and ambiguous movement by the read man on Veer plays so that you don't know what he's doing. I think this is "by design" so that these plays won't be "over powered". It sucks honestly because it pigeon holes the running game, which is definitely not something that an online cfm player like myself likes to see.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Rookie

I have the same issue. I remember when Option plays were first put into the game. I ran one game on All-Madden where I ran nothing but option plays the entire game. I finished with around 300 yards rushing with my RB and 160 for the QB. The AI just couldn't stop it.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they nerfed it hard. I like having a mobile QB myself, but moving in the backfield to try and run as a QB is terrible.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I think the triple option and f-lead option plays don't work as well as the single-read and sprint option plays.

When I play teams with option plays in the book, I edit out the triple and f-lead versions and replace them with single-read and sprint option plays.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Per Clint at EA:

(I am paraphrasing a tweet)

The AI is able to identify mobile QBs, and basically plays the QB automatically if they are mobile.
--------------------------------------

This was a question I posed to him early in M17 and the above was essentially the response, if you sub in a 79 or slower QB (rough estimate based on play testing) you'll see the DE collapse and open up the QB rush lane.

Also, the ''triple options, from Pistol, and the SG Split Backs'', are good to get the pitch man involved, I've broken some long runs fro scores with them.

QB Power also works decently well if you have high RBK/IBL skill players on the edge and outside to seal the edges to turn up field. Wildcat direct snapts (QB Sub) without the motion are also options to get a mobile QB some carries with decent blocking.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
Per Clint at EA:

(I am paraphrasing a tweet)

The AI is able to identify mobile QBs, and basically plays the QB automatically if they are mobile.
--------------------------------------

This was a question I posed to him early in M17 and the above was essentially the response, if you sub in a 79 or slower QB (rough estimate based on play testing) you'll see the DE collapse and open up the QB rush lane.
I play in an online CFM with the Bills and I find this to be very true. I love using the read option to open up big running lanes for my running back by freezing the backside of the D. Eventually they bit and you can take off with the QB.

The key, in my experience, is to be looking to hand it off first and foremost then occasionally catch them with a keeper.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
I play in an online CFM with the Bills and I find this to be very true. I love using the read option to open up big running lanes for my running back by freezing the backside of the D. Eventually they bit and you can take off with the QB.

The key, in my experience, is to be looking to hand it off first and foremost then occasionally catch them with a keeper.
I'm playing with the Bills too. I just think they did a nerf job on a lot of this stuff. What's the deal with making the veer almost unreadable? Anybody here run the veer successfully? I'm looking at Community Percentage and the Veer is very LOW. EA needs to look at that and ask why are people not running this play? Same for all of their plays. The Veer is a run a person should be able to build their offense around, but it's damn near impossible to read that defender. Just just have to guess which is not sound at all. The Veer is not a run that you should have to sit here and say OK I handed the football off to my HB 7 times, maybe that DE will go after him and my QB can keep it.

As for the Triple Option, it's OK, the pitch man is the problem. Same with the Speed, Power and Slot Options. The pitch man at times will do a 360 spin to receive the pitch. Get rid of that animation. To me it's only there to slow a person down and preventing them from getting a big play.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
Rookie

This is great!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »