Home

Running game

This is a discussion on Running game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Running game

As far as playing LB in a zone defense is concerned, unless I'm in a middle zone in a cover 2, I imagine a line splitting the field right down the middle, and I try to never go over that line when defending crossing routes - just hand it of to the next guy (this applies to cover 3 hook/curl zones). I drop back far enough as to not let the deepest crossed get behind me, while keeping an eye for anyone who's crossing in front of me. It's better to rally back towards the line of scrimmage than to chase a play that got behind you.
For vertical hook zones, carry anyone in your zone as deep as they go, so your basically pattern matching.
For Middle zones, your responsibility is to drop deep enough to discourage a throw to the post while prioritizing the side of the formation with the most receivers. When playing man, just hold down the defensive assist button if you think you can't match the route of your reciever.
I should add that the basic mentality I have while playing defense is to keep everything in front of me, and never let them get to the outside. This also applies to pursuit of the ball carrier. The defense should always play wider and deeper than the offense.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ok does using the shading coverage option help?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

In certain situations it does. For example, if your opponent is in a 3rd and very long, or if the clock is running out and he needs to gain big yardage, I might shade overtop. I like to shade underneath in the red zone to take away the flats and drag routes, and simply because since I'm backed up near my own endzone, I don't have to worry about getting beat deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Rookie

Ok thnx I'll try it out see what happens the run game or lack of is really frustrating me

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

No worries, just keep pounding away and it will eventually click. Hitting practice mode and setting it up for "random run" against a random defense will build up your muscle memory for hitting holes and cutback lanes, as well as helping you recognize with greater consistency where the holes will open up.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
MVP

prey2god's Arena

I don't waste time with the jukes, stiff arms etc. I just put that on auto and let the cpu make that decision.

Makes the game feel much more dynamic
Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

I play on All Madden and do pretty well running the ball (in fact last game I nearly hit 300 yards). First of all, the stretch play is over powered in this game, so if you're struggling, learning how to execute that play will probably help you.

Second, the key has already been pointed out: be patient. Follow your blocks, and know when to cut it up field. You have to be patient not just on each play, but in sticking with a balanced offense. Eventually you will break a run if you keep at it, mix up your play calling, and follow/read your blocks correctly.

Run like Frank Gore: hide behind your blocks and use them as leverage, then, when they commit, or when the hole opens up, hit that turbo button and squeeze through.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »