Home

What's truly missing from CFM and every other Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on What's truly missing from CFM and every other Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: What's truly missing from CFM and every other Franchise Mode

Lot of solid ideas, but I also wonder if the NFL allows EA to do anything related to personalities. Madden used to have hold-outs, and I'm pretty sure the NFL decided they couldn't include those in the game.

One of my favorite "personality-like" features was in the NCAA Football series before the NCAA got wind of it and removed it, but back in a PS2/Xbox NCAA Football game, players had to be suspended for off-field behavior and academic performance. A professor/advisor would contact you (the coach) and say that John Smith hadn't been to class or had failed another class, or something, and you'd have to dole out the optional punishment. If you didn't punish the player, then the NCAA would step in and remove scholarships from your school. Players your recruited had a classroom/academic rating, and if you continually targeted players with poor academics, it would reflect poorly on your school, and then a great prospect with a high academic rating may ignore your school and choose to play for Notre Dame, or some school with good academics.

It was really a great system that added a small niche to the game. Of course, as soon as the NCAA found out about it they demanded that EA remove it from the next iteration of the game, and EA complied.

The NCAA games also had a sort of team chemistry rating as well, where players got attribute boosts based on if you -- as the coach -- did the right thing. For instance, starting a senior over a freshman though the freshman's ratings might be nominally better.

I don't see why EA couldn't implement a team chemistry rating or have confidence dip and drop based on how many moves you make as a coach. I am brutal as the owner of my franchise team, winning the Super Bowl with a QB only to trade him to some terrible team for a handful of draft picks, or trading my top RB in week 8 to the worst team in the NFL in exchange for a draft pick and some young player. Fans, owners, and other players wouldn't tolerate this in the real NFL and players' confidence would naturally go down (maybe you're next!), it might be a good counter-balance to the trade happy GM/Coach who's just trying to build a ratings powerhouse.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #18
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I imagine something like the apf 2k8 traits but dealing more with personality which would govern both the player's on and off the field behavior and influence on his teammates:

Firestarter: This player's energy is infectious. Whenever he makes a big play, it energizes and hypes up that side of the ball. Similar to 'Vocal Leader' he also rallies teammates on the sideline in critical game situations. He's a more mature version of the Loose Cannon player.

Mentor: This player tends to share his knowledge with younger, less experienced players at his position which is especially beneficial to incoming rookies. He is drawn to Loose Cannon players and helps to rein them in.

Vocal Leader: This player has the respect of everyone on the team and hold players accountable on his side of ball and in his position group. He will also approach the head coach as the spokesman for the lockeroom regarding the player's concerns.

Loose Cannon: This player is very emotional and lacks discipline. On the field he will often gamble and abandon his assignment to make a big play. He does a lot of trash-talking and tries to intimidate opponents. He will sometime question your coaching decisions in the media.

Lunch Pail: This player works exceptionally hard in practice and in the film room. He will often take extra reps after practice is over. Good to have one of these at a position that is relatively young as this player's work ethic rubs off on those around him. He also as the ability to play with injuries that might sideline most players.

These are just a few I could come up with for now. Im sure you guys could think of more and how they intertwine with the other traits/personality types.
Alpha Dog - This player has extremely high confidence in his ability and backs it up...so much so that opposing players lining up across from him find him intimidating and their confidence is reduced. Tends to take games over. Can be emotional and sometimes plays out of control and undisciplined. However, he easily commands respect from teammates, earning it with his playmaking ability.

Bookworm - This player is highly intelligent with a strong football IQ. He is able to learn new schemes easily and is very coachable. Knows how to prepare and devours gamefilm. He's like having an extra coach on the field and the sideline, increasing the awareness and confidence of his position group as well as slightly improving their reaction time.

Last edited by Kanobi; 12-21-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

At least a "light version" could be very well possible.

Several years ago EA had a soccer manager with a detailed manager mode which is not reached by any game up to now (as I know). They had a quite simple system for such traits which should not be too difficult.

For example:
Player boosts team overall +2 when down by 7+ points in 4th quarter
Player boosts position group overall +2 when up by 7+ points
Player reduces team overall -2 when down by 7+ points in 4th quarter
etc.

Not too difficult and of course they can change over time. Player will/can become a better leader over time.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaAut
At least a "light version" could be very well possible.

Several years ago EA had a soccer manager with a detailed manager mode which is not reached by any game up to now (as I know). They had a quite simple system for such traits which should not be too difficult.

For example:
Player boosts team overall +2 when down by 7+ points in 4th quarter
Player boosts position group overall +2 when up by 7+ points
Player reduces team overall -2 when down by 7+ points in 4th quarter
etc.

Not too difficult and of course they can change over time. Player will/can become a better leader over time.
This sounds quite doable .....sort of a middle ground that would ne agreeable to the league and player union.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
If you want this discussion to continue comments like this need to be left out.

Have a productive discussion or don't have it at all.
JFC................
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I imagine something like the apf 2k8 traits but dealing more with personality which would govern both the player's on and off the field behavior and influence on his teammates:

Firestarter: This player's energy is infectious. Whenever he makes a big play, it energizes and hypes up that side of the ball. Similar to 'Vocal Leader' he also rallies teammates on the sideline in critical game situations. He's a more mature version of the Loose Cannon player.

Mentor: This player tends to share his knowledge with younger, less experienced players at his position which is especially beneficial to incoming rookies. He is drawn to Loose Cannon players and helps to rein them in.

Vocal Leader: This player has the respect of everyone on the team and hold players accountable on his side of ball and in his position group. He will also approach the head coach as the spokesman for the lockeroom regarding the player's concerns.

Loose Cannon: This player is very emotional and lacks discipline. On the field he will often gamble and abandon his assignment to make a big play. He does a lot of trash-talking and tries to intimidate opponents. He will sometime question your coaching decisions in the media.

Lunch Pail: This player works exceptionally hard in practice and in the film room. He will often take extra reps after practice is over. Good to have one of these at a position that is relatively young as this player's work ethic rubs off on those around him. He also as the ability to play with injuries that might sideline most players.

These are just a few I could come up with for now. Im sure you guys could think of more and how they intertwine with the other traits/personality types.
That's fine, but the problem is that if all those traits do is add a couple points to attributes you're never really going to notice them and they won't really matter. A system like that needs to be tied to cutscenes/animations of, say, the players rallying around a firestarter, or loose cannon throwing his helmet down on the sideline for it to feel alive. Judging from how the cutscenes are handled now I'm not super confident they could pull it off.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #23
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
That's fine, but the problem is that if all those traits do is add a couple points to attributes you're never really going to notice them and they won't really matter. A system like that needs to be tied to cutscenes/animations of, say, the players rallying around a firestarter, or loose cannon throwing his helmet down on the sideline for it to feel alive. Judging from how the cutscenes are handled now I'm not super confident they could pull it off.
That's what I was getting at in the OP...it feeling alive and being tangible...actual behavior both on and off the field. Hell, EA could even use it as marketing focus "Football is an emotional game....welcome to Madden XX"

I can even hear the lead developers explaining it in interviews "What makes Tom Brady Tom Brady?...Or Marcus Peters, Marcus Peters? Each player is unique...and as a coach or GM, how do you balance these personalities and bring them together as a cohesive unit that wins football games? That's what Madden players will experience this year for the very first time"

Last edited by Kanobi; 12-21-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #24
Rookie

Whatever happened to picking your team captains (slight boost in confidence perhaps?) or a damn roster breakdown. I can't tell how many active players I have currently on my team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »