Home

Play the Moments Stats?

This is a discussion on Play the Moments Stats? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Rookie

MtVasuvius's Arena

OVR: 0
Play the Moments Stats?

Hey y'all,

I've just started a new franchise. Usually, I play every game (15 minutes, sliders, the whole shindig). However, this time I decided to use play the moments to get through games quicker and only play out playoff/primetime games.

I do help out whenever prompted, but increasingly, whenever I pop in, regardless of score, the game will show me some absurd number of carries for Melvin Gordon (chargers franchise).

Now just recently, I was down 14-0 in the first quarter, and went into the second still scoreless. When I popped in as prompted, it showed Melvin Gordon with an absurd 20 carries and NONE for the RB.

I don't have a bad QB or bad WRs (pretty good actually) and I have auto-subs set so that Gordon should be getting relieved pretty often.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm using a custom playbook if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Re: Play the Moments Stats?

Yeah, I'm playing half my games on Play the Moment and have run into similar issues with Karlos Williams at RB despite having Aaron Rodgers :-D

I'm still testing my solution, but I think I have it figured out and have a good fix, though it will be difficult to fix the issue with not using a backup RB with a custom playbook.

I think the issue is the gameplans attached to all the default playbooks are very run heavy. On first and 10, it calls a run play almost every time. There doesn't seem to be much variance in how much yards are gained on runs in the super sim engine, so 3-4 yard runs are very common. And then when you get to 2nd and medium, running calls again are very dominant, so you get another 3-4 yards. And then 3rd and short again, runs are a common call. So that's why both teams are constantly running the ball, only passing in 2 minute drills, when they're behind, when there is an offensive penalty, or on the off-chance that something goes seriously wrong with the running game.

So to fix this, you can go into your playbook and fully build out your gameplan to be more balanced or pass-focused. I set mine to be relatively balanced between run and pass on 1st down, and extremely pass heavy on 2nd and short, since I think that should be a passing down, and I seem to be getting better results (though it hasn't yet translated into better performance, we seem to be passing more).

Regarding backup RBs, it looks like there is something wrong with fatigue in the super sim. There have been drives where Williams runs the ball 7x and I get brought in on play the moment and it says he is 100% fresh. So I think the only way to get in your backups is to use formation subs and have your backup RBs in some formations, and your starter in most formations (or however you want it). I having a receiving back I use in a couple of formations where the RB has good routes (and I took all the running plays from this formation out of my gameplan), and I have a speed back I use in a lot of the shotgun formations, goalline back in heavy sets, etc. It'll be difficult for you to do this because of your custom playbook, but if you know your playbook is similar to another default playbook, you could set that as your playbook inside CFM and base your formation subs off that, and still use your custom book and the formations that are in both your selected default playbook and your custom playbook will have the correct formation subs.

I recently had my first game with carries from all 4 of my RBs using this method from the sim engine alone (which is a slight negative because I was trying to avoid giving carries to one of the backs), but it seems to work quite well. Just remember that the plays and formations that are in your gameplan are the ones the sim engine will use, so if you know a play or formation will be called often, you can use formation subs for that formation to really emphasize utilizing a particular player.

Last edited by SpyPirates; 12-21-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Rookie

MtVasuvius's Arena

Thanks! Appreciate the advice
Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

SpyPirates is 100% correct. Fatigue doesn't work properly in PTM mode. I've played 5 full seasons this way and some games seem okay and other are just dumb. I've played around with many ways to try to fix (lower stamina, auto subs, qtr length, acc clock on/off, etc) and nothing seemed to work very well. My best easy advice is to put your top two backs (or three) in different formations and that will help some.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
Yeah, I'm playing half my games on Play the Moment and have run into similar issues with Karlos Williams at RB despite having Aaron Rodgers :-D

I'm still testing my solution, but I think I have it figured out and have a good fix, though it will be difficult to fix the issue with not using a backup RB with a custom playbook.

I think the issue is the gameplans attached to all the default playbooks are very run heavy. On first and 10, it calls a run play almost every time. There doesn't seem to be much variance in how much yards are gained on runs in the super sim engine, so 3-4 yard runs are very common. And then when you get to 2nd and medium, running calls again are very dominant, so you get another 3-4 yards. And then 3rd and short again, runs are a common call. So that's why both teams are constantly running the ball, only passing in 2 minute drills, when they're behind, when there is an offensive penalty, or on the off-chance that something goes seriously wrong with the running game.

So to fix this, you can go into your playbook and fully build out your gameplan to be more balanced or pass-focused. I set mine to be relatively balanced between run and pass on 1st down, and extremely pass heavy on 2nd and short, since I think that should be a passing down, and I seem to be getting better results (though it hasn't yet translated into better performance, we seem to be passing more).

Regarding backup RBs, it looks like there is something wrong with fatigue in the super sim. There have been drives where Williams runs the ball 7x and I get brought in on play the moment and it says he is 100% fresh. So I think the only way to get in your backups is to use formation subs and have your backup RBs in some formations, and your starter in most formations (or however you want it). I having a receiving back I use in a couple of formations where the RB has good routes (and I took all the running plays from this formation out of my gameplan), and I have a speed back I use in a lot of the shotgun formations, goalline back in heavy sets, etc. It'll be difficult for you to do this because of your custom playbook, but if you know your playbook is similar to another default playbook, you could set that as your playbook inside CFM and base your formation subs off that, and still use your custom book and the formations that are in both your selected default playbook and your custom playbook will have the correct formation subs.

I recently had my first game with carries from all 4 of my RBs using this method from the sim engine alone (which is a slight negative because I was trying to avoid giving carries to one of the backs), but it seems to work quite well. Just remember that the plays and formations that are in your gameplan are the ones the sim engine will use, so if you know a play or formation will be called often, you can use formation subs for that formation to really emphasize utilizing a particular player.
Do we know for sure that the sim engine is calling plays from your custom book or the book on your schemes menu? Since formation subs are only in the formations in that scheme how can we know? Since you are getting more pass plays it tends to suggest they are using custom books. I have been trying to get an answer to this for years. Would it be different if you simmed the game versus ptm? Should I load the game for play the moments and just skip all the ptm when they come up to get better stats than just advancing the week from the things to do list?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Do we know for sure that the sim engine is calling plays from your custom book or the book on your schemes menu? Since formation subs are only in the formations in that scheme how can we know? Since you are getting more pass plays it tends to suggest they are using custom books. I have been trying to get an answer to this for years. Would it be different if you simmed the game versus ptm? Should I load the game for play the moments and just skip all the ptm when they come up to get better stats than just advancing the week from the things to do list?
I just tested it with a playbook that had Deep Attack (out of the Singleback Dice Slot formation) as the only play for every possible game situation. In the game, every play was a pass except for 3, in which the QB ran (probably scrambling after the play broke down). Deep attack has the two outside receivers running streaks, the slot WR, the primary receiver, running a post, the TE running a short curl, and the RB running a check and release. The catches were all consistent with deep attack... mostly long passes, often to the slot, a few short to the TE or RB. Meanwhile the other team had tons of runs before they fell behind.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
I just tested it with a playbook that had Deep Attack (out of the Singleback Dice Slot formation) as the only play for every possible game situation. In the game, every play was a pass except for 3, in which the QB ran (probably scrambling after the play broke down). Deep attack has the two outside receivers running streaks, the slot WR, the primary receiver, running a post, the TE running a short curl, and the RB running a check and release. The catches were all consistent with deep attack... mostly long passes, often to the slot, a few short to the TE or RB. Meanwhile the other team had tons of runs before they fell behind.
This is good news. I am assuming when just advancing the week the playbook in the schemes menu is used. If I start playing again I am for sure going to sim games through ptm instead of just advancing the week.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
This is good news. I am assuming when just advancing the week the playbook in the schemes menu is used. If I start playing again I am for sure going to sim games through ptm instead of just advancing the week.
Yeah I haven't ever simulated a game from the menu, but let me know what you find out!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »