Home

Schemes, Do they even matter in M17

This is a discussion on Schemes, Do they even matter in M17 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Schemes, Do they even matter in M17

Funk and Wagnal's!

Woah... just got brought back to my high school days in the 90's for a second there.

Also schemes only affect the way a player's overall appears TO YOUR TEAM. Otherwise it has no effect on gameplay affects on the field or to XP earnings. Any perception that it does is placebo.

This changed in M17 and has been confirmed by the Dev's.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCoffee1983
Funk and Wagnal's!

Woah... just got brought back to my high school days in the 90's for a second there.

Also schemes only affect the way a player's overall appears TO YOUR TEAM. Otherwise it has no effect on gameplay affects on the field or to XP earnings. Any perception that it does is placebo.

So basically nothing. My 6'5" 85 speed wr will stay the same or change by a single point whether I have my scheme as rzt or speed.

But, back to funk and wagnells. We got ours through collecting Winn dixie sramps. They would print out stamps everytime you cashed out and you could use them for things like cookware and encyclopedias that they kept on display at the front of the store. We didn't have enough to get them every month so some letters were missing. Sometimes half a letter because they would use two editions to cover letters like s. This made choosing subjects for reports all through school difficult. Now I carry a million times the information in those volumes around in my pocket at all times. It truly is an amazing world yet madden puts a new trait in the game and no information can be found on it but some non specific tweet.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
I just realized that in M17 I can't find player schemes. In Madden 16, It showed you individual player schemes and style. Example player, A OB came from a West Coast Scheme but was a pocket style OB. Or a OL came from a Power run scheme but was a zone blocker.

In M17 I can’t find the scheme anywhere. Only player style, even in the draft.

So when drafting or trying to assign a player to your Coaches Scheme. How do you do it? For example my Browns Coaches scheme runs a Balanced Offense and a 3-4 zone defense. So when Drafting a QB, Should I look for a balanced OB style, a West Coast, a Pocket passer, Mobile, Strong Arm. Does it even matter? Actually I have 4 QB's, each a different style. In Madden 16, by changing Coaching schemes it changed their ratings in depth chart, some by 3 or 4 points. Same in all other categories. In M17 it rarely makes any difference at all.

So my question, when drafting, signing a free agent, arranging depth chart, does it make any difference at all what a player style is because it really shows no affect in the depth chart or by changing coaches’ schemes. Whereas it made a big difference in M16. Or did madden blow it again.
Schemes and "player styles," as you call them, matter to me. The coach's off and def schemes are listed in "My Coach" > "Schemes," after the Coach's Off Playbook and Def Playbook (which btw are different for me from the custom playbooks I use in games -- different but close to the same). The coach's scheme's I've chosen (Vertical Off & Attacking 4-3) reflect the content of my custom playbooks and the core of the plays I expect to run in key situations. Player styles summarize a players strengths and help you decide who focus on when drafting or trading. I will, for example, hardly ever draft a QB who is not "Strong Arm," but when I do he must have a "Throw Power" of at least A- and "Acc Short" of at least B+; otherwise he's useless to me because he can't run the critical plays in my playbook. The same is true at HB, where I will almost never draft or trade for or sign as a free agent someone who is not a Power Back. CBs have to be "Man to Man," because that what I play 75% of the time. Just about every position had a strongly preferred Style, because of my playbooks, which match the odd and def scheme's of my coach.

Overalls are not especially important. That they don't change when you change the Coach's schemes doesn't matter. What matters is how well a player's attributes match what he's expected to do in plays of your playbook. Schemes and player styles help you separate the goat from the sheep, after which you can take a closer look at each individual player.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #20
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCoffee1983
Funk and Wagnal's!

I remember a great deal of discussion about schemes, overalls, attributes, and on-field play by developers when HC09 first came out. It was said then, as has been said in years since, that changing a scheme and thus a player's overall did not affect how a player performed on the field. That, they said again and again, was solely determined by a player's attributes.

Have you ever considered that the single developer tweet you refer to was made in haste, and perhaps without fully understanding what was being asked? I for one never believed that changing a scheme and thus overall changed how a player performed in M16. The question had been asked repeatedly, over a period of years, and the response had always been unambiguously the same.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #21
MVP

Scheme s such as base 3-4, attacking 4-3 assigned to players was always a waste to me and I am glad they got rid of them. A corner back that has been playing in my hybrid system for ten years shold not still be a 3-4 corner because that is what he did in college. If they had implemented it to take an awareness hit because he was out of system and then became what system you are running when he got awareness up it would have made sense.

I draft physicals for what I want at the position and develop them to do what I want them to do. A lolb for pass rush, a balanced mlb, a coverage rolb, a zone fs, a run support fs and so on. I don't care what style they were listed as. Overall can be misleading. For example my rolb is a coverage guy. Man coverage is 3% of his overall and zone 5%. I can raise those coverage abilities from mid sixties to mid eighties and only see a 1 or 2 point increase in overall even with my type set to cover 2.

What I want him to do is be able to cover te's and hb's and occasionally a slot receiver as his primary duty. He does it much better than his overall suggests. In fact, most of the time the cpu ranks my backup lolb that is a pass rusher with poor coverage abilities as a higher overall rolb and wants him to start as the rolb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #22
MVP

The problem with cpu calculating overall is that it is going to value my lolb's strength a lot more than my coverage guys coverage power and finesse moves are valued more even for a coverage guy. I created a spreadsheet months ago for determining your own overall based on what you value for each position. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...Player+overall
Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #23
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D81SKINS
This sure wasn't the case in Madden 16!

Check this tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/Millenniu...75487003320321

Curious to see the tweet of him contradicting himself, unless he's saying schemes don't matter in M17

Oh yeah, and this
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-ratings.html
It definitely was not the case in 16. I played many, many games before and after even more after matching up players and schemes. Made a huge difference in gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Anyway, you guys did not see a difference when you made adjustments to players/ schemes? Like I said, I do not remember before and after. Player performance wise on the field.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by cable guy; 01-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »