Home

Defensive AWR

This is a discussion on Defensive AWR within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive AWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
I just constantly wonder why we are not allowed to know this stuff. It has been in the game for years and we still can't get a satisfactory explanation. I lose sleep over this ****.
Well it's kind of two fold. First, A lot of these things are pieces of 20+ formulas that trying to explain it in simple terms like "it makes them find the ball" is a bit of over simplification. It may cause this to happen but by influencing other actions that create this effect. The other reason is, and this will sound crazy, they don't fully know what everything does. There is a ton of legacy code and they are still working through a lot of it.

When I talked to Rex about this they eventually want to release the info, but they have to internally get their head around everything they do.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Currently I believe the only true ratings that matter are: Speed, Acceleration, Agility, Strength, Awareness, Catching, Carrying, and Tackling. Everything else is just a form of modifier to these base ratings.. Even Pursuit, which can make a slower defender run down a ball carrier with higher speed rating, is still just a modifier to speed, IMO, or could actually be a replacement for speed once a receiver/runner has the ball; thus not a modifier but a replacement system (this is a hypothesis)

As long as a user gets good players in regards to base ratings they require for any given position, these other ratings, modifiers, can be taken into account and chosen on a personal basis on which base ratings a user wishes to slightly modify.

I see the EA/Dice ratings and traits as levels:

First Level is your base ratings as mentioned above and drives every player constantly on any given play; with the exception of Catching, Carrying and Tackling, which I believe are main ratings, but situational.

Second level are all other readily available ratings that modify the base ratings by a percentage, on any given event within a play when triggered.

Third Level are the traits which add additional modifications to the base
ratings, and I see these as boosts, which trigger on events that are more situational than secondary:

Take a defender pass rushing - we have acceleration, strength and Agility which potential make up the main ratings for confrontation with a blocker; Block shedding adds a modifier to 1 or more of the main ratings, which I believe either adds to the main ratings if high enough, or does nothing at all. The traits of power move and spin move would boost the quickness that a pass rusher gets past a defender; but this boost would depend on the ratings of a blocker - a power move trait wouldn't hold much of a boost against a blocker with high strength, but a spin move trait would get a boost against a high strength blocker with lower agility. The Power move would boost a pass rusher past a lower strength blocker.

I believe traits are used less, and triggered by events which include stamina level to activate High Motor, or time remaining in half or game to activate Clutch, or in the example of the pass rusher against blocker, the pass rusher wins big on the AI dice roll between the primary and secondary ratings, the trait of spin or bull rush triggers.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
Well it's kind of two fold. First, A lot of these things are pieces of 20+ formulas that trying to explain it in simple terms like "it makes them find the ball" is a bit of over simplification. It may cause this to happen but by influencing other actions that create this effect. The other reason is, and this will sound crazy, they don't fully know what everything does. There is a ton of legacy code and they are still working through a lot of it.

When I talked to Rex about this they eventually want to release the info, but they have to internally get their head around everything they do.
So we're screwed until we get a ground up build of a football game, that will probably not happen in my lifetime. They should probably go to 2006 code and start over from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

What does awr do for WR's? I haven't noticed a difference between a 60 and a 90 awr WR if they have similar ratings.Maybe if it were possible for WRs to run the wrong route but that feature is AWOL in Madden.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
What does awr do for WR's? I haven't noticed a difference between a 60 and a 90 awr WR if they have similar ratings.Maybe if it were possible for WRs to run the wrong route but that feature is AWOL in Madden.

I heard that it makes your WRs react to balls thrown to them quicker (turning his head to catch the ball on time) but I haven't tested it
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I'd love to know exactly how these two ratings are distinct as well. I typically see guys with high PRC playing like heat-seeking missiles vs. the run, but these players often also have comparable AWR, so it's hard to know which rating is the driver for these kinds of players.
The only thing I can offer is anecdotal evidence, but it feels like prc is for right after the snap while awareness is the rest of the play. So a player with high prc may recognize outside run immediately or not be fooled by PA, but awareness dictates how well they react after that initial read.

Another way I think of it is that aside from PA, awareness plays more of a factor in the passing game while prc is for the run. I haven't seen any evidence that high prc leads to defenders jumping routes or identifying concepts
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

OVR: 8

Someone should test both safeties & OLBs with 99 awr 0 prc & 0 awr 99 prc
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Found it!

According to the Madden NFL gameplay designer Clint Oldenburg, AWR affects a number of things on defense:
  • reacting to cut blocks
  • reacting to play-action and special teams fake-outs
  • defensive "get-off" time (presumably for pass rushers)
  • penalty chance
  • "pass rush transition" (I'm not sure what this means)
  • AI swat vs interception
  • breakout time for read/blitz vs scrambling quarterback
  • strip ball chances
  • defending option plays
  • "catch tackles"
  • spatial awareness of open-field blockers
  • and more things

Sources:

https://twitter.com/clintoldenburg/s...81175792050176
https://twitter.com/clintoldenburg/s...81481963630593
https://twitter.com/clintoldenburg/s...81644509659136

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »