Home

cornerbacks getting beat for speed

This is a discussion on cornerbacks getting beat for speed within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
cornerbacks getting beat for speed

had a game against the ps4 where my cornerback was getting beat for speed constantly in man to man plays, constantly.
it was cover 2 man so saftey help would have been there had they not sprinted past him.
his opponent was just a smidgen faster, 93 against 91 but, would be 5 steps clear on rothlisbergers bombs, man cover 88 awareness in the 80s so i wouldn't expect that much difference, so often.
speed parity was at 70, tried another game with it at 90 but with the same results.
should i have this at zero?
gameplay sliders are default, i'm reading that's what most are using this year so, should i just get used corners being unable to cover in man or is the cpu just being cheesy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Re: cornerbacks getting beat for speed

I haven't experienced this issue... the only times my WRs beat CBs downfield on streaks is in cover 1 man with a significant speed advantage.

Here are the questions I would ask...

Are you on all-madden? IMO the CPU is pretty cheesy on all madden and all pro with slider adjustments is a more realistic experience.

Are your corners pressing? Pressing seems pretty underpowered in this game, so to me it's sort of a high risk low reward play, especially in man coverage. Try base align or whatever it's called to make your guys back up a little bit (but not all the way).

Can you confirm you're talking about streak routes, and not something like slants or other man-beating routes? Man coverage imo is not super great this year, but it should be able to hold up against streaks, and it should definitely hold up against cover 2 man. Cover 2 man is basically one of the best defenses to call against streak routes.

My speed parity is at 40, all pro, Armor & Swords sliders.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

So the opposing wr is only slightly faster? But what is his route running and release ratings? Also what are your man cover ratings for your cb? I've found all this comes into play, whether I'm beating the cpu cb or not. Or vice versa, the cpu wr is beating my cb.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Watch the replay and see how they are getting beat deep. Usually the WR makes a good move to get loose when I see it. I use the Broncos and have good CB's so they don't get beat deep very often, but my WR Thomas gets open a lot because he makes a good move and can get open. If I'm playing against a good CB though he won't get open.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieinwhite
had a game against the ps4 where my cornerback was getting beat for speed constantly in man to man plays, constantly.
it was cover 2 man so saftey help would have been there had they not sprinted past him.
his opponent was just a smidgen faster, 93 against 91 but, would be 5 steps clear on rothlisbergers bombs, man cover 88 awareness in the 80s so i wouldn't expect that much difference, so often.
speed parity was at 70, tried another game with it at 90 but with the same results.
gameplay sliders are default, i'm reading that's what most are using this year so, should i just get used corners being unable to cover in man or is the cpu just being cheesy?
Same kind of thing happens to me in Cover 2 Man or Cover 1, but only once in a while, and I play with Speed Parity at 33 (which makes a speed advantage more pronounced). How good is your safety that should be giving help? Is it only happening against Rothlisberger? THP is hard to defend. Play Cover 3 zone more? Shade the CB outside? There's something you can do, you just have to figure it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

as it was mentioned earlier, this has a LOT to do with the release rating and acceleration. If the WR beats him off the line, your CB won't catch up up unless he is quite a bit faster and has great acceleration. I can hit Dez Bryant on bombs. His speed is down to 86 or so now, but he torches people with his release.

Major Boise State fan
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
as it was mentioned earlier, this has a LOT to do with the release rating and acceleration. If the WR beats him off the line, your CB won't catch up up unless he is quite a bit faster and has great acceleration. I can hit Dez Bryant on bombs. His speed is down to 86 or so now, but he torches people with his release.
Yep.

Williams is faster and is not anywhere as effective on streaks or post patterns.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieinwhite
First off, we need to address the fact that your CB will often "press" the X receiver, even if you don't manually do so pre-snap. Therefore, you are vulnerable to a 9 or streak route.

What works for me most of the time is to make sure I select coverage assignments pre-snap and play my corners over the top. You will see a brief press animation and then the corner will employ a "bail" technique. I strongly recommend that you employ cover 1 hole-align and press corners-play bail coverage, rather than continuing to play man under. I will also sometimes play outside leverage which will give a brief press animation as your CB will turn and run with the receiver more quickly. I highly recommend using that technique when playing cover 2 zone defenses.

I play on All Pro with user defeated sliders only evenly disbursed at a total of -50 points with cpu points on default and speed disparity scale set @ 25. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Last edited by edgevoice; 02-13-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: additional info

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »