Home

Is it possible to design the CPU AI to not "cheat" the player to keep things even?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to design the CPU AI to not "cheat" the player to keep things even? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Is it possible to design the CPU AI to not "cheat" the player to keep things even?

If there is one thing i really need from madden next year, it's an AI that uses strategy and skill to compete with me instead of breaking the games design in order to keep up.

This has probably been around for a while, but guess since I enjoyed this years game for much longer than I ever have, it has become abundantly apparent that the game's AI forces scenarios where the 79 ovr defensive tackle is dominating double teams from two 95 ovr gaurds in order to make tackles at the line of scrimmage on running plays. Or my 95 ovr all CB can't stop mundane recievers on slant, out, and in routes. I also once posted a video where Rob Gronkowski beat Joel Haden at the line of scrimmage and then with a 10 point speed ACC and agi handicap, somehow managed to get a 10 yard lead on him for a deep touchdown.

Simply put, regardless of sliders (and they do help) it's far too clear that the AI plays the game with a different set of rules than I do. My DE's never win at the line of scrimmage on pass plays like theirs, my linebackers don't scrape like theirs, my pass rush isn't nearly as consistent etc.

At the same time, despite the fact that i constantly have to contend with CPU players playing far beyond their ratings, i still almost always win. Why is this?

Because the AI is brain dead. It's not intelligent at all. They don't bracket my WR who is dominating them. They try to play press cov even when each jam attempt ends in a touchdown. They refuse (actually the cannot) to call for a double team on my defensive linemen who are terrorizing their QBs. They don't give up on the run even when it's being stuffed. They call play action shot plays on 3rd and long... I could go on forever.

The AI cannot adapt or strategize against the human teams they face so they cheat via the in-game mechanics. This forces you to play in a way not to beat the AI in a game of football, but to manipulate the mechanics as best as you can to win.

And it's still fun. There's also plenty of good football in there, but It is something that must be addressed in 2018.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is it possible to design the CPU AI to not "cheat" the player to keep things even

I agree, every player not controlled by the human should play to their abilities whether on the human or cpu side.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is it possible to design the CPU AI to not "cheat" the player to keep things even

I don't expect much from Madden 18. I've been playing Madden since Sega Genesis and since the monopoly was handed to EASPORTS they've been wildly inconsistent with their games.

Here's my questions after 15 years:
15 years and no line improvement?
15 years and a regression in auto-subs?
15 years and the CPU punts the ball 15 yards?
15 years and a regression on CPU AI - especially for the QB?
15 years and linemen still cannot get injured?
15 years and still horrendous play calling by the CPU?

List goes on and on. I honestly keep going back to Madden 16, I find 17 unplayable for the true SIM player/athlete.

I won't make the same mistake this year and buy Madden 18 - I'll wait 6 months to see if they issue more game killing patches, regressions, and a total abandonment of franchise mode support via patching.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Rookie

PaleVermilion's Arena

OVR: 3

My biggest frustrations are constantly being stopped at the first down line, yet not getting a first down. Had this happen last night. Computer punted and got a touchback. I take over on the 20. I get the ball to the 30, yet it is 4th and inches? It even said the LOS was at the 30 and the ball was squarely over the first down line. That happens frequently to me and it is so annoying.

The other is when the kicker decides not to move right away, leading to an easy blocked FG.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleVermilion
My biggest frustrations are constantly being stopped at the first down line, yet not getting a first down. Had this happen last night. Computer punted and got a touchback. I take over on the 20. I get the ball to the 30, yet it is 4th and inches? It even said the LOS was at the 30 and the ball was squarely over the first down line. That happens frequently to me and it is so annoying.

The other is when the kicker decides not to move right away, leading to an easy blocked FG.
Yes, this is frustrating as hell. It gets to me so much that at times I will just go for it as a big FU to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Oh yeah, they definitely could. In a game like this it's actually super easy to make an AI that will beat the player "fairly" every time. You can make the QB make the exact correct throw ever time. You can make the RB cut to the right hole every time. That's not that hard to do.

The problem is that that is boring, "feels" unrealistic (super hard thing to quantify) and nobody would play it. The hard thing is to make an AI "feel" organic and "fair." How often do you program the AI to make mistakes? How big of a mistake can it make without feeling cheap? Can you really come up with 4 separate balances that all feel right?

Probably not. Even games that SHOULD have a massive AI focus (strategy games like Civilization) throw in the towel and just give the AI starting bonuses depending on difficulty level. It's just too hard to do it any other way. I sure wish they could, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't think the offline AI strategy has every really been an emphasis for EA. I am a few years behind (still playing M25 on the 360 lol), so maybe things have improved? But in those games from just a few years ago, there are basic decisions the CPU still mishandles: simple clock management, calling plays that don't fit the situation (often on 3rd down), punting when it should go for it etc. And these are just the basics. Elevating the AI to match wits with a human seems out of reach unless EA really made it a priority.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »